Cedar Fair and Paramount

TheKlockster

Looks like Cedar Fair decided to put the Paramount's in front of the parks on their site - and is going to conduct surveys to see what people think about Paramount branding.

Enquirer - Kings Island Sale Complete

I for one hope they do away with the Paramount's on the names - and do away with the Paramount theming in the park - except for the Nickelodeon. I like Peanuts soooooo much better than Nick - but Nick proably would bring in more money.

It would be cool to be greeted by Linus and Spongebob! cool.gif But aside from the Nick stuff - I would be perfectly happy if the rest of the stuff vanished.

Interesting. So I guess they will give us what we want then. I didnt see anyone doing surveys yesterday, I would have loved to do one. Maybe they should do one similar on how they have done the Paramount Parks surverys so alot more people could get in on the input.

You know, I love Peanuts and Nick. But I really don't like the idea of the Peanuts coming to the park. PKI has always been the Nick park, it's just part of the atmosphere they've had for at least the past 10 years. In the same way CP has always been the Snoopy park for probably longer than that.

It just seems to me that it wouldn't be the same if the Peanuts came to Kings Island.

It would seem someone at Cedar Fair could at least get the Paramount Parks' names right.

a. at first they had King's Island and King's Dominion.

b. then they fixed Kings Island, but not KD.

c. then they added the Paramount's AND fixed Kings Dominion but...

d. they got the Canada park name wrong. HINT TO Cedar Fair: That park is not now named nor has it ever been Paramount's Canada's Wonderland. The memo you apparently got telling you to add Paramount's to the park names and to fix Kings Dominion to take out the apostrophe apparently did not notice the correct name for the park in Canada....

You know, I love Peanuts and Nick.  But I really don't like the idea of the Peanuts coming to the park.  PKI has always been the Nick park, it's just part of the atmosphere they've had for at least the past 10 years.  In the same way CP has always been the Snoopy park for probably longer than that.

Actually KI has been nick longer than CP has been Snoopy. Nick came to KI in 95, as Snoopy came to CP in 99.

Actually KI has been nick longer than CP has been Snoopy. Nick came to KI in 95, as Snoopy came to CP in 99.

Oops, you're right, cause that was the year Woodstock Express was built and I'm presuming the rest of Camp Snoopy came with it.

Most interesting on that list is that they were only a licensed user of the mark Great America....  Do I smell ONE possible park name change coming?

hmmm...so who owns the "Great America" name? Is it SF, or did Marriott still hold on to it somehow? (Or, maybe the city of Santa Clara?)

I've seen very little about when Marriott owned the GA's... I know that they built and opened both parks in 1976, but sold them only a few years later. But wasn't there also a third park proposed? Also, I'm not sure what transpired that ended up in the Chicago park becoming a Six Flags and the California park going to Paramount (was it ever actually a KECO park?)

I've had several former colleagues who either worked (or had worked) at Marriott, but no one ever knew anything about their time in the park business.

A hotel company I had worked for was in the park business for a while as well...we had owned interest in Parc Asterix in France.

Yep, a third park was proposed...over in the DC area. Like the Disney proposal, it never happened. That's a tough area over there for parks, land is incredibly expensive. I think one reason Six Flags renamed Wild World to Six Flags America was to try to fend off competition from coming in and setting up a major park near DC.

Cedar Fair has bought the Paramount rights and theming and Nickelodeon theming. It's on Cedar Fair.com web site. I feel they should keep things the way they are so people will continue to go to the parks. I like the variety between parks, theming, and I don't want to see the Paramount parks changed around because Cedar Fair owns them now. They changed around Geauga Lake too much when they bought it and people stopped going to the park. The survey is biased. If you pick Paramount it doesn't show how many people voted and what the results are. The survey needs to be redone.

Uh, people stopped going to Geauga Lake long before Cedar Fair bought it. This is one of the many reasons that Cedar Fair was able to buy that park for far less money than Six Flags had invested in it. . .

And Cedar Fair did NOT buy the rights to the Nick and Paramount theming. They got LICENSING for four years for Nick and up to ten years for the Paramount theming, subject to certain additional terms not made public. One of the latter terms, no doubt, is that if they don't use the Paramount theming, some sort of payment is made from one party to the other...

The attendance drop during the Six Flags era was nothing compared to the 75+% drop it experienced under Cedar Fair ownership. People couldn't take the loss of the animals and all the Time Warner properties.

Even to this day we get asked where the animals are, where the Looneytunes are, and we still have people calling our rides the Batman and Superman. Where theming once was we now just have a water stained mark, concrete, or visible wires and metals. Geauga Lake has become very BLAND without it's theming.

I have a feeling the loss of Paramount properties will leave a similar mark on the GP; just not as drastic. The GP won't just forget the years of heavy marketing as The Best Of Hollywood Entertainment, just to have all movie references disappear. Cedar Fair had to erase 4 years of Six Flags, but trying to erase almost 15 years of Paramount is going to be more of a challenge.

For most grew up with it in the Paramount era and are going to notice the starry-blue mountain is gone, the Paramount story is gone, and they are all going to call the ride by their former names, no matter how heavily you market the new one. Tomb Raider and Italian Job will always be called that as far as the GP is concerned.

All I'm saying is too much change at once could be dangerous!

Once again. Why are we in such a hurry to remove the Paramount theming? I like it, and I know a lot of other people that like it. If Cedar Fair can come in an improve the park, better food, shows, and maybe a larger coaster or two, why do they have to remove the Paramount theming too. Why not have the best of both worlds. The movie concepts seem to work very well at Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, Disney-MGM, etc... It make PKI standout in the midwest market and with its attendance doing better than other parks, the general public must also agree.