Accident on Son of Beast

Delirium_Guy

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, having jsut been at the park and speaking with some people, this was not as serious as you think, the people taken to the hospital were taken just to make sure everything was ok and I'm sure they were fine, the SOB crew did what they were supposed to in the situation, this wasnt reallly an accident per say, and it has been extremely over-hyped by the media, I saw the WCPO news report on tv, they got A LOT of details wrong, the ride is perfectly safe as well as the whole park, the news is just over hyped, most at the park had no idea anything happened!

exactly.....

Yeah what are you guys saying?

WCPO is now saying that Kings Island knew they were problems with Son of Beast this morning.  As to why the ride didn't open on time.  They sure are trying to make this sound bad.  It is bad, but you know what I mean.

I noticed that also, and then they were saying the park was trying to downplay all the injuries. They're trying to make matters worse by making it look like the park knew that this could've happened.

I know for a fact, if they didn't think SOB was safe to open today, IT WOULD HAVE REMAINED CLOSED! Kings Island is a very safe park. This is just one of those things that happened. Much like The Beast accident a few years ago.

This I can harp on.....

I work in maintenance, and if there is anything that I dont feel comfortable with on whatever Im working on, whether it be a game or a ride, I dont release the attraction until I feel comfortable with it. The rest of maintenance feels this same way as well. So by saying that the owner has any say in that is null and void.

Roller Coaster Stops Mid-Ride in Virginia; 15 Stranded

6.23.06 - Two people were injured and 15 were stranded when the 'Volcano: The Blast Coaster' stopped mid-ride Friday evening at Paramount's Kings Dominion in Doswell, Virginia. A park spokesperson said the roller coaster stopped around 5:15pm eastern time.

The coaster had just pulled away from the station when it rolled back, leaving the passengers stranded 12 feet above ground.

A 24-year-old man from Utah received a cut above his eye, and a 12-year-old boy from North Carolina complained of a sore leg. According to one of the riders they heard a loud pop and "there was stuff flying" when the incident occurred.

It took park workers and members of the Hanover County Fire Department more than two hours to remove everyone in heavy rains and lightning that drenched the area just south of the park.

Volcano: The Blast Coaster debuted in 1998, reaching speeds of 70mph. The ride will remain closed while park officials investigate what caused it to malfunction.

This I can harp on.....

I work in maintenance, and if there is anything that I dont feel comfortable with on whatever Im working on, whether it be a game or a ride, I dont release the attraction until I feel comfortable with it. The rest of maintenance feels this same way as well. So by saying that the owner has any say in that is null and void.

Yes, as being a PKI Ride Op. I know nothing would be open if the ride wasn't SAFE. I do know SOB takes a very long time to walk the track and inspect stuff. If anything from this morning was found it would have been fixed before the ride would have been opened.

Currently at this time theres a lot of questions and rumros going around, please only post if you have something intelligent to add to the conversation. PKI is a safe park, American amusement parks in general are very safe places, the staff at PKI especialyl the SOB ride operators and wood coaster maintenance team are impecable employees just like the rest of the operations team at Paramount's Kings Island, I'm sure they did their jobs to the best of their abilities. The ride owuld not have been running that day if it wasnt safe, what happened was unfortuanate but what exactly happened is uncertain so lets all stop throwing accusations untill we find out the real truth. Like SOB_TOM said, the maintenance staff knows what theyre doing at the park, better than the average guest knows, and I can personally say as a former employee that SOB_TOM knows his stuff.

So i'm sooo lost on this where did this happen on the ride at? My best guess it happened before the loop. I have felt before on the drop before the loop the train does feel like it comes up off the track almost for some reason. I'm not talking airtime either its physically the train seems like it comes up off the track when before you go through the loop. Has anyone else felt this before on the part before that loop??? dry.gif

This I can harp on.....

Tom, was this another one of your trips to SFKK or Holiday World?

Are you responsible for this little mishap? <G>

Omg^ they are hurt but no big deal, just one person who has broken chest. and the 2 kids lost there teeth...they were gona lose them anyway. most people are proply gona be sore.

My five year old had 5 adult teeth and was tall enough to ride. This could be extreme to how their other teeth come in. I won't let her ride SOB because she doesn't like to hold on tight enough!

I hate to say after I heard where it happened I thought I knew what went wrong and

this article on The Enquirer makes me think I am correct.

They said a park worker told them the metal loop had become slightly dislodged from the wooden part of the track. Officials could not confirm that.

The track itself is layered wood boards (I believe its 7 layers) with a piece of steel on the top and bottom for the train to ride on. The problem is you can't use that for the loop so instead its solid steel. I have no idea how they join the two types of track. I have no idea how they would separate BUT based on where the problem occurred I think that's what happened the two sections of track moved in some way that produced a gap or edge that the train got hung up on for a split second. The sudden deceleration is what caused in the injuries.

That's about as much speculation as I am willing to get into. I did not want to post my ideas last night until I heard something more but I figured with this new information I would post my thoughts.

I remember the last day that I worked at P.K.I. It was in October of 2004. The very last thing that I ever had to do for the park was notify security of a little boy who had been hurt on the Son of Beast. The mother was demanding a supervisor in my shop, and I responded. She claimed that her son was having problems walking on his own after riding the ride. She said that he did not have any pre-existing back problems, and the child was taken by P.K.I. paramedics to Cincinnati for treatment. I will never forget that incident. Sadly, I do not know whatever happened to that boy. I moved away the next week. I can only assume that he turned out to be ok, because I never heard anything more about it. If anything happened on S.O.B., then I feel deeply sorry for anyone who would require medical treatment. After all, it is a powerful ride, which does not exactly run smooth even on a good day. Hopefully Cedar Fair will give the necessary attention to the ride that it needs to maintain a safe environment.

And I do have to agree with some of the other statements. Accidents do and can happen on these types of rides. But chances are that the maintenance crews learn from them, and keep them from repeating in the future. Kings Island has had a long history of people getting hurt on rides. In 95, "The Vortex" was stuck upside down for hours, full of passengers, who were later rushed to the hospital.

"The Bat" was infamous for whiplash. Notice that The Bat is no longer at the park. "King Cobra" hurt several people through the years. Eight people suffered injury when the train derailed in 1984. But again, it's gone. I rode "Son of Beast" as a test dummy on it's 1st day of operation and I can honestly say that I wish that I hadn't. My back was in a lot of pain for about 2 weeks after riding it. Of course the "Son of Beast" was shut down and had sections reconstructed for months after it's 1st day of operation.

My point is that the park will move on. These things happen. I feel sorry for the victims, but most rides will have problems. It is through the grace of god that they are mostly not serious.

Whenever i was woken up this morning by my aunt to take my cousin home my mom came in and said 36 people have died on SOB. I was half asleep so i didnt remember her saying that but when i wok up she said they were injured. Then i got on here to confirm it. Maybe it will give them enough reason to remove the POS. I personally think it is a ride to ride when you have nothing else to do but when you have to wait in a line it is clearly not worth it.

JASPER081691 said:
Whenever i was woken up this morning by my aunt to take my cousin home my mom came in and said 36 people have died on SOB. I was half asleep so i didnt remember her saying that but when i wok up she said they were injured. Then i got on here to confirm it. Maybe it will give them enough reason to remove the POS. I personally think it is a ride to ride when you have nothing else to do but when you have to wait in a line it is clearly not worth it.

[Redacted]

Some people on here kill me.

Anyone else read in the Cincinnati.com article about it how the ride was "heading out of the big drop and going towards the loop."

Does it really matter if it wasn't the initial big drop into the loop? Why do you care that much? All of you who are planning on writing the news agencies and telling them to report correctly...well...you're wasting your time. Not to mention that there are more important things like the injured riders. Like Ryan said, this IS a big deal.

Here's more.

actually..I've actually read a couple news reports that simply gave facts...without TOO much negative stuff...but also that report that said the train was "suspended on the lift hill" was RIDICULOUS...it clearly showed a pic of the train sitting firmly on the lift...not hanging off the freekin edge...-.-

I mean really, the word suspended doesn't necessarily mean hanging. It means it was just stopped on the lift hill.

I just don't know what to say... I really wish the same people that designed and constructed "The Beast" would have created "Son of Beast" as well. It would have probably cost a few more million, but it would have stood the test of time much like "The Beast." This whole situation makes my heart hurt, because I really want to like SOB, but at the same time I want to bad mouth Paramount for not making this project a success.

On another note, this is a wooden coaster, they will tear you up if you don't brace yourself.

I hope everyone is keeping the riders that got hurt and the staff at Kings Island in their prayers. With God's help we will all get through this.

-adam12

On another note, this is a wooden coaster, they will tear you up if you don't brace yourself.

Thats exactly it right there. Everybody expects it to be smoothe... HELLO!!! its a wooden roller coaster that is 218 feet tall and goes 78 mph at top speeds! how the heck is that smoothe?

I threw my pop bottle at the t.v. after some guy on channel 12 from indiana said " i expected it to be so smoothe and relaxing.. not for it to beat me up" or something of the same matter.

People theses days expect to much and do stuff for dumb reasons..

That guy from Indiana obvously hadn't been on a wooden coaster before. Even The Beastie will give ya a little jolt. There isn't ANYTHING relaxing about SOB. ROFL!

-adam12