Accident on Son of Beast

Delirium_Guy

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kings Island has had a long history of people getting hurt on rides. In 95, "The Vortex" was stuck upside down for hours, full of passengers, who were later rushed to the hospital.

"The Bat" was infamous for whiplash. Notice that The Bat is no longer at the park. "King Cobra" hurt several people through the years. Eight people suffered injury when the train derailed in 1984. But again, it's gone. I rode "Son of Beast" as a test dummy on it's 1st day of operation and I can honestly say that I wish that I hadn't. My back was in a lot of pain for about 2 weeks after riding it. Of course the "Son of Beast" was shut down and had sections reconstructed for months after it's 1st day of operation.

My point is that the park will move on. These things happen. I feel sorry for the victims, but most rides will have problems. It is through the grace of god that they are mostly not serious.

First off, quit spearding rumors. Vortex has never been stuck upside down. The Demon at Six Flags Great America got stuck upside down in 1998.

Second, no one was every hurt while ride The Bat. It had alot of other issues as to why it was removed.

Third, yes the King Cobra did have a problem in 1984. But it reopened didn't it? And lasted 17 more years.

I have not told this to anybody yet but I wacthed the whole thing unfold. Me and my younger brother was the next people to ride the Son of Beast . I wacthed as the trian came into the station and poeple where crying. Some guy came up to me and told me do not ride something is wrong with the ride. I was thinking whats going on. Well some lady whats have very strong chest pains. Tehn they came over the Sound system and told that the ride is temporaly shut down and they expect not oping for a long time. I stayed though. There where any poeple crying and pain was in all of there faces. Well many peopel loked injured the emyployees where calim. Well they told everyone in the station to leave that where still in the line encluding me to please levae the and head to the exit. As I left the line there where tons and tons of park officals there including from the tp of my head The person Dick Kenzel I belive was there. Well I decide to see the nick praede then I left and when I left there where tons of ambulances there. I thougth that the park did a very very good job at handling the matter. i really had a good day at the park and there was like nobody there.

Sorry for the Spelling.

mob psycology strikes again...

now people will start thinking it's a bad ride, and it won't be long until people start filing cases against the ride, and then Kings Island, Cedar Fair, paramount, and the ride makers will all be sued, and all of this will lead to a higher possibility of the ride getting demolished, which will then question the safety of wooden roller coasters altogether, and the question the saftey of the heights of roller coasters, and then question the saftey of roller coasters altogeter.

I know, it's a bit dramatic (okay alot dramatic) but it could still happen.

~vl2

Vortexlover2 said:
mob psycology strikes again...

now people will start thinking it's a bad ride, and it won't be long until people start filing cases against the ride, and then Kings Island, Cedar Fair, paramount, and the ride makers will all be sued, and all of this will lead to a higher possibility of the ride getting demolished, which will then question the safety of wooden roller coasters altogether, and the question the saftey of the heights of roller coasters, and then question the saftey of roller coasters altogeter.

I know, it's a bit dramatic (okay alot dramatic) but it could still happen.

~vl2

[Redacted]

I highly doubt that if someone sues against the park, they will win, unless it is proven that the park knew in advance that the ride had a problem before the start of the day. On that back on everbodies seasonal pass, it clearly states

"HOLDER ASSUMES ALL RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY...".

If anything, it will be settled out of court and I am sure PKI will do whatever it takes to fix the problem and also help the victoms.

^Most of the time the legal team will just settle with the person ahter than dragging on with the court case, most major companies do this too, mcdonalds for example, rarely goes to court with ayone even if the "victim" is a complete idiot. Vortexqueen, saying the riders had no sense is completely irational and insensitive to what happened to them! First off stop posting about things you dont know about, people have filed lawsuits against the park all the time particuarly about SOB, those lawsuits did not force the park to re-track it like you claim they did. The ride has re-ceived retracking and major maintenance all over it every year since it opened, it received the most work this year in an attempt to make it a more enjoyable ride, not to stop law suits. It has been confirmed that what happened on SOB was not a regular part of how the ride operates, so guests could not expect that, so saying they had no sense is completely stupid. Seriously, something serious has happened here and the details are jsut starting to unfold, stop being an idiot!

CombatStupendous89 said:
^Most of the time the legal team will just settle with the person ahter than dragging on with the court case, most major companies do this too, mcdonalds for example, rarely goes to court with ayone even if the "victim" is a complete idiot.

[Redacted]

I highly doubt that if someone sues against the park, they will win, unless it is proven that the park knew in advance that the ride had a problem before the start of the day. On that back on everbodies seasonal pass, it clearly states

If anything, it will be settled out of court and I am sure PKI will do whatever it takes to fix the problem and also help the victoms.

I don't agree, if the do and they will, I think they will win with out much trouble at all.

This is a case where I have to say that they should be compensated.

That statement does not limit a parks liability for injuries sustained on their property.

Based on what I saw in the morning, crews were working on the FIRST drop with a cherry picker. They were not over by the drop before the loop. I`d say the reason the ride opened late was due to a separate unrelated maintenance issue, but I`m basing that simply on what I saw them working on.

As far as lawsuits go. I`m sure the park is sued all the time, we just simply don`t hear about it. I know for a fact that even Coney Island is sued frequently every year. And you never hear about any of those cases going to court or being settled.

^Most of the time the legal team will just settle with the person ahter than dragging on with the court case, most major companies do this too, mcdonalds for example, rarely goes to court with ayone even if the "victim" is a complete idiot.

ohh..

well yeah, and most people that sue mcdonalds dont excersise when they eat the food, so they cant really sue. Most people ride SoB and dont readthe warning, so why can they sue? but i could see how they wouldnt want to drag on a court case.

The park settles far more claims than you can imagine.

I've been asking around as to what Insurance Company handles the parks claims.

ohh..

well yeah, and most people that sue mcdonalds dont excersise when they eat the food, so they cant really sue. Most people ride SoB and dont readthe warning, so why can they sue? but i could see how they wouldnt want to drag on a court case.

THey can sue because anyone whos willing to pay for a lawyer can file a lawsuit if they wish, but mcdonalds most of the time will chose not to challenge the legitimacy of their claims and just pay them to back off so they dont need to waste their time. Like I said, stop posting about nothing which you know about, the last 4 recent big lawsuits brought against mcdonalds were about food poisioning and improperly prepared and served beverages such as coffe that was way too hot.

I don't really buy the track coming off the loop story but this might sound even weirder. I do believe they felt a jolt and obviosuly looking at the passengers they were slammed forward, and a track coming off of another would most likely knocked the rider upward/downward/backward or something, not forward. So I am kinda leaning towards censor issues in the brakes by the loop. I don't know, my dad kinda knows engineering and he teaches me that stuff and I think I've been working at the park too long.

On another note, this is a wooden coaster, they will tear you up if you don't brace yourself.

I hope everyone is keeping the riders that got hurt and the staff at Kings Island in their prayers. With God's help we will all get through this.

Well said on both of your reply's. The first one you are darn right if you do not brace yourself and you are expecting a walk in the park smooth ride then you are going to get injured. I hold my hands up the hole way and it only hurts me on the rose bowl and the finishing helix.

Your second point. With God's help we can achieve anything so hopefully we will get through all this.

I don't really buy the track coming off the loop story but this might sound even weirder. I do believe they felt a jolt and obviosuly looking at the passengers they were slammed forward, and a track coming off of another would most likely knocked the rider upward/downward/backward or something, not forward. So I am kinda leaning towards censor issues in the brakes by the loop. I don't know, my dad kinda knows engineering and he teaches me that stuff and I think I've been working at the park too long.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, if a piece of track where to seperate or break what would happen to the train would depend on how the track broke/what exactly it did, considering you dont knwo the details of what happened (not how the sensors, not censors work) you are just blabbing your mouth and spreading more rumors.

GRRR, I want to ride Son of Beast!!! it better open in 2weeks!! People are blowing this WAY!!!! out of proportion!!! AND if Cedar Fairs does take Son of Beast down..... I will be angry and take hand cups and strap myself to the handle bar and protest!

Calm down! Something major happened yesterday! I'm not worred as to when SOB will be open or not. I'm just worried about what caused this problem, and my thoughts are with the people who were hurt.

Flight, dude you need to remember that a major incident just happened, and if its not fixed when you ride it, then you get hurt, along with everyone else with you. Do you want THAT on your conscience?

You go ahead and take those hand CUPS and do whatever you do with those.