Accident on Son of Beast

Delirium_Guy

I can't wait for The GrandSon of Beast...

But seriously, I hope they don't dismantle this coaster. Its unique, and fun if you know what to expect.

While standing in line for SoB earlier this year, I pointed out to my friend some faces of dissapointment on the returning passengers. We then boarded the coaster, and got a rough, but still enjoyable ride.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore the "abrupt stop at the brakes" comments from members and the staff. Neither train with those injured in it had an "abrupt stop", they were same normal stops that always happen on the ride.

A timber giving way would fit the "dip in the track" theory as well. I dare say we've kind of figured out what happened.

I have to agree with coaster-chickie. I wish wooden coasters would become more popular again. There's just something about the smell of them.

That being said, I wasn't a fan of SOB. I rode it once, didn't care for the beating I got on it, and never plan to ride it again. Same for The Racers which to me were WAY worse than SOB.

Wooden coasters are meant to be rough but they are not meant to be that rough but also wooden coasters arent meant to go 218 Fett and reach speeds in excess of 70 mph. But take The EBast for example. It is rough as they come. But it is a good beat you around and laugh about it while it is being done. Son of Beast is just an all around rough wooden coaster. I would rank it right up there in roughness with the wild mouse coasters.

I would have thought they could have seen if a board was getting weak though? Isn't that why they do the inspections every morning?

Who knows how long this timber could have been bad? I remember hearing a pretty bad banging sound while in the loop a few weeks after it reopened.

It sounds to me as if this was in the drop into the loop?

They’re not going to get rid of SOB too much money would be lost. The Ride will get its riders back. I just hope they open it up again before the summer ends. Remember it wasn’t to long ago when they had an accident like this one on the best and people still ride that coaster

Hasn't enough money already been completely and totally WASTED on the ride to begin with? Just look at Hercules at Dorney Park. In case you aren't familiar, it also was a large wooden coaster (about 150) feet. It suffered the same issues that most of the Summers / Dinn mega wood coasters did. Cedar Fair solved the problem by tearing it down. I've always felt that SOB's days were numbered. I still think it'll be around next season, but I think under the Cedar Fair umbrella it has very very few seasons left.

Like others have mentioned, the other wood coasters in the Park have suffered because of it. Racer hurt so bad the last time I rode it, I'm done with it for the rest of the year. Yes, wood coasters are suppose to be rough but they aren't suppose to INJURE people and have kids returning to the station in tears (i.e Racer). Here's hoping that the future is a bit brighter for maintainance of wood coasters at PKI.

PKIVortex,

Im not speaking for maintenance or giving excuses, but:

Wood doesnt always send out warning signals like steel. Steel you will see hairline fractures along the affected part. In wood, you can break a 2x4 by sitting on the middle, but there are no stress marks, no breaks, nothing.

Eagle,

Its hard to tell how much money would be lost or saved by removing SOB. The initial investment to remove it would be high, but then you wouldnt have to sink in millions of dollars in the long run. At this point, I give SOB a 50% chance of going the way of the Flyers.

Also Delirium_guy,

SOB was origonally built by RCCA. Paramount hired them to be the general contractors on the ride. When RCCA started to cut corners by bringing in bad wood, which was found out by the ride partially collapsing and adding to the overall cost, Paramount sued and also fired RCCA. The wood was already on-site, and there was no return policy, so Paramount was stuck with it.

The normal wood used on coasters is a type that will flex, but not bend. The "faulty wood" is actually a harder wood (I dont know if it is because it was treated more or what.) Trust me on this, I tried drilling through it, and it aint soft. This flex in the wood allows the coaster to absorb more impact, but stay durable. This is what is meant by faulty wood. There is technically no faulty wood, just the wrong wood. And that, my friend, is a purchasing order problem by, *gasp* RCCA.

P.S. The other wood coasters have gone through the same offseason rehab as SOB. It was mostly because of Winterfest, where maintenance had to put off all the projects and waste 6 weeks or more of the offseason, where things fell through. I dont know all the details, but I do know that when you see wood coaster maintenance with big 2x4 or 2x6's at a wood coaster, and seeing them putting new boards on the track, that they did offseason work on all coasters.

Eagle One Posted: Jul 10 2006, 08:08 PM 

They’re not going to get rid of SOB too much money would be lost. The Ride will get its riders back. I just hope they open it up again before the summer ends. Remember it wasn’t to long ago when they had an accident like this one on the best and people still ride that coaster 

SOB has not had a 2-3 wait of riders since the summer of 2000. A good gauge to see if SOB will be removed will be how many thousand dollar injuries progress to lawsuits being filed....

THEN factor in the park's liability insurance carrier saying we will no longer cover this particular ride or seriously hike the insurance on it as a "high risk." Any 16 year old or person with multiple tickets on this site want to remark of how much your car insurance is compared to that of a clean-record 30-year old?.... or been dropped from your insurance because you're money's not worth the risk. The decision to keep/not keep SOB may not be PKI/CF's decision at this point.

I would rank it right up there in roughness with the wild mouse coasters.

I know, I know, this is way off topic, but since Wild Mouse coasters aren't really MICE would more then one of them be referred to as Wild Mice or Wild Mouses...I think more than one computer mouse are mouses...Or did I just dream that up? wacko.gif

I can't wait for The GrandSon of Beast...

I already have designs for that on my computer. Of course it is my own design, but it rocks!

The tallest, fastest, longest wooden rollercoaster on the planet! Not only is it the second wood coaster with a loop, but the first with a corkscrew! It also honors the original with two lift hills!

I love Son of Beast. I've ridden it many times & have no physical problems. Over time I figured out how to ride it without being beaten to death. I can only handle about 4-5 rides in one park visit. After that.. I'm done with it till next time.

The trains are badly designed & need to be redesigned. I think the track is fine.

If you have ever been to Hershey Park you may have ridden what I consider to be a wonderful wooden coaster - Lightning Racer. This is what a wood coaster should be. They don't all have to be over 200 feet high and go 80 mph to be fun.

Lightning Racer has great first hills and lots of twists and turns. Another example is Raven at Holiday World.

I have always thought if PKI wanted a hyper or giga coaster they should have built a steel one instead of SOB.

I also last rode The Racer 2 years ago. I experienced a very bad bump at the bottom of the first hill that really hurt my back and I'll never ride it again. I love The Racer - it has always been one of my favorites so I hate that I can't ride it anymore. I know it would be sad to see it go but if it ever does, PKI should consider a coaster like Lightning Racer to replace it.

I would hate to see SOB taken down but I agree with what Fudd said, if they get a lot of lawsuits from this, it may very well be deemed "high risk". And combined with the lawsuits they may take into account how many other people have been injured and/or filed a complaint with the park about this ride.

I have to admit, I didn't like it. I rode it, didn't really enjoy it and said I would probably never ride it again. (of course that was before I discovered this site and found tips on just where to ride for a smoother ride) But, The Racers were way worse to me than SOB. Then again, the whole backside of my arm was bruised from my riding The Beast.

I hate it that people were injured on this ride. Thank goodness the injuries weren't more serious.

Hey, if your gonna attack someone for spreading rumors. At least have the courtesty to know what it is you are talking about. I was there. I worked at the park that day. The entire park was in an uproar. Associates were instructed not to say anything to media. I respect your opinion. But the ride was stuck upside down due to a power failure. And besides, you are missing my point.

Which is that these things happen. Its the only way to avoid the problem with future attractions. I'm not attacking Kings Island for acts of god beyond anyones control. Instead I am praising the managements strength to move on and put incidents like this behind the park.

Also Delirium_guy,

SOB was origonally built by RCCA. Paramount hired them to be the general contractors on the ride. When RCCA started to cut corners by bringing in bad wood, which was found out by the ride partially collapsing and adding to the overall cost, Paramount sued and also fired RCCA. The wood was already on-site, and there was no return policy, so Paramount was stuck with it.

The normal wood used on coasters is a type that will flex, but not bend. The "faulty wood" is actually a harder wood (I dont know if it is because it was treated more or what.) Trust me on this, I tried drilling through it, and it aint soft. This flex in the wood allows the coaster to absorb more impact, but stay durable. This is what is meant by faulty wood. There is technically no faulty wood, just the wrong wood. And that, my friend, is a purchasing order problem by, *gasp* RCCA.

P.S. The other wood coasters have gone through the same offseason rehab as SOB. It was mostly because of Winterfest, where maintenance had to put off all the projects and waste 6 weeks or more of the offseason, where things fell through. I dont know all the details, but I do know that when you see wood coaster maintenance with big 2x4 or 2x6's at a wood coaster, and seeing them putting new boards on the track, that they did offseason work on all coasters.

They may have hired RCCA to help construct the ride, but on EVERY piece of literature out there......Paramount Parks as the general contractor. Which means they ran the show. They made the cuts. While RCCA certainly hasn't built anything of notice, I blame Paramount Parks just as much as them with Son of Beast. Honestly, Paramount making cuts does NOT surprise me even the slightest. Just look at the additions the past 5 years or so and look at how cheaply they were done?

If they had a firewood sale do you think the wood would have that "roller coaster smell"?

SoB is going to get you. Never burn treated wood. Burning releases toxic fumes into the air and has been associated with serious arsenic poisoning.

Remember to stay back a little when burning SoB wood. laugh.gif

Don't worry. I don't want to burn the wood. I just want to smell it.

Hey, if your gonna attack someone for spreading rumors. At least have the courtesty to know what it is you are talking about. I was there. I worked at the park that day. The entire park was in an uproar. Associates were instructed not to say anything to media. I respect your opinion. But the ride was stuck upside down due to a power failure. And besides, you are missing my point.

Which is that these things happen. Its the only way to avoid the problem with future attractions. I'm not attacking Kings Island for acts of god beyond anyones control. Instead I am praising the managements strength to move on and put incidents like this behind the park.

This is from a topic about The Vortex back on page 10 by the way.

Honestly, I have thought that the Son of Beast's days were numbered since the first time I ever rode it. Which was also the 1st day they ever allowed passengers to ride it. The thing seemed to toss you around like a rag doll. Then the ride was closed for what seemed like forever after that 1st day of operation. Granted that when it did reopen, it certainly felt smoother. They had so many problems occur when they were building it, and they have shut it down for a few extended periods of time. I just always had this feeling it the pit of my stomach, regardless of how much I personally want for the ride to be a success. I had this feeling that the rides support just didn't look up to expectation. Have you ever looked at the foundation of The Racer or The Beast, or Mean Streak, or even The Beastie. (Fairly Odd Parents). The foundations and the build to these coasters all have the same structured look to them. Even beams, in even spaces. The S.O.B. never has really had that. And if you compare pictures of the ride between some previous seasons, you can even see where they have worked on this during previous post/pre seasons at some point. And the park has even sued the manufacturer (back in 2000) for their construction method. This all points to one thing. Paramount knew that there were serious (costly) problems afoot with this ride. And yet, people were still riding it. I would even go as far to say that Paramount knew about problems in advance to selling the parks. Possibly with other rides in other parks too. But why would Paramount pay to have these things fixed when in just a short period of time, it will be Cedar Fair's Problem? I'm not saying that this is certainly the case, but I am asking you to think about it. Because (NOW) it is Cedar Fair's problem.The important thing here is to make sure that everyone who was hurt, turns out to be o.k. And if the only logical solution is to remove the source of the problem. In this case, meaning removing the ride. Then it would be best to do that than to risk ANYONE ELSE GETTING HURT.

On another note, I have read on this web site several times that "Only 2 more people are in the hospital as a result of this thing" My question for those of you who have claimed this is "How many people does it take before it becomes wrong?" 2, 4, 20, 100 etc...... It is wrong when 1 person gets hurt!

Remember it wasn’t to long ago when they had an accident like this one on the best and people still ride that coaster

Never heard of any accident on The Beast that was similar in any way. The only one I recall was a slow collision in the station due to the skid brakes not completely stopping the train. What incident are you referring to?

I just read about SOB again today in our local newspaper. I have to admit, it sounds bad, even if they are blowing it out of proportion. It talks about busted Timber and The DoA investigating it while it is shut down indefinitely. Then they are interviewing people that are saying how violent the ride was just before this accident (of course thats nothing new). Maybe not if Paramount (CBS) still owned it, but I can see CF shutting it down. Just doesn't seem like the headache a new owner would want. I bet they can't believe that something like this happened in their first couple weeks of ownership.

Even people here in my town, which is about 90 minutes from KI, that aren't even real knowledgable about the park are talking about it.

oh, and btw- what was the deal with the individual whose screen name was "Kings Island Management" that categorically removed any subsequent posting to the thread?

Suspended. He had been trying to register all day with bogus screen names. His last one that he tried that he confirmed was like at a hotmail.com address.