Real World Life

Hank

A screwball friend of mine once stated that if someone were to build a coaster where every 1 millionth person riding were to get a serious injury or be killed, there would be a line stretched miles long with people wanting to ride it.

Then, there's video games. Get in an accident, just press reset. Get killed, just press reset. Don't like the game - even though it cost $90 or more - who cares, just throw it away.

Finally, there are people who think that nothing could ever happen to them - that somehow they are Divinely protected or have extra Guardian Angels - and go on doing whatever they like, or want, or enjoy doing.

In real world life, people are the most valuable thing ever. You cannot replace a person. You can't just throw them away when you're tired of them. And, they are fragile and need protection.

In viewing the posts about the recent accident on SOB, it amazed me that even though real people were really hurt, all some cared about was if the ride was going to be opened the next day. Or, since they don't like the ride, it should be thrown out. Or, people who's careers are about the saftey and well being of others seem to never do their job. Doesn't life have any value anymore? Or are we really that immature and/or crazy?

I hope none of you ever gets injured - on a ride or anytime. I hope none of you ever feel that life has no value - everyone is important in this world. I hope none of you ever do something so stupid as to cause harm to your own self - drugs, drinking, and sex isn't all there is to life.

I pray that all of those who were injured on that ride yesterday will heal and be well, and a special prayer go out to all who helped them, service the ride, clean the park, design attractions for our enjoyment, drive the ambulance, work at the hospial - and anyone else along the way - a prayer of thanksgiving to you all. Please accept apologies for those who don't appreciate what you do.

No, according to some in the other SOB accident thread, it's far more important for the news agencies to not use the word suspended or get confused and say the big drop before the loop than the people who were injured.

I am personally glad that there were no fatalities.

A screwball friend of mine once stated that if someone were to build a coaster where every 1 millionth person riding were to get a serious injury or be killed, there would be a line stretched miles long with people wanting to ride it. 

Then, there's video games.  Get in an accident, just press reset.  Get killed, just press reset.  Don't like the game - even though it cost $90 or more - who cares, just throw it away.

Finally, there are people who think that nothing could ever happen to them - that somehow they are Divinely protected or have extra Guardian Angels - and go on doing whatever they like, or want, or enjoy doing. 

In real world life, people are the most valuable thing ever.  You cannot replace a person.  You can't just throw them away when you're tired of them.  And, they are fragile and need protection.

In viewing the posts about the recent accident on SOB, it amazed me that even though real people were really hurt, all some cared about was if the ride was going to be opened the next day.  Or, since they don't like the ride, it should be thrown out.  Or, people who's careers are about the saftey and well being of others seem to never do their job.  Doesn't life have any value anymore?  Or are we really that immature and/or crazy? 

I hope none of you ever gets injured - on a ride or anytime.  I hope none of you ever feel that life has no value - everyone is important in this world.  I hope none of you ever do something so stupid as to cause harm to your own self - drugs, drinking, and sex isn't all there is to life.

I pray that all of those who were injured on that ride yesterday will heal and be well, and a special prayer go out to all who helped them, service the ride, clean the park, design attractions for our enjoyment, drive the ambulance, work at the hospial - and anyone else along the way - a prayer of thanksgiving to you all.  Please accept apologies for those who don't appreciate what you do.

AMEN brother! You can't put a price on human life.

God Bless,

-adam12

My prayers are with the riders and their families, and I hope everyone makes a speedy recovery.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Bu ti should be biting my tounge because i was the one hoping that they would get rid of it and not worrying about the people's lifes that wer involved. My hopes and concerns go out to all the rider families that were injured.

You're definitely right, but i too should hold my tongue because i was thinking more of the ride... It's hard when you sit here day in and day out talking about the rides and such, they almost in a very weird way become your "friends", and since i knew none of the people, in my head i worried more about my "friend" than the people i didn't know, which is wrong... Sorry that was kind of dumb, but it was the best way i could say it...

You’re an extremely wise person Hank; it is good to have posters such as yourself on this forum.

In a forum made up mostly of Coaster Enthusiasts, the first thing that will be the priority of talk is the ride(s). It's like you said, "people are the most valuable thing ever. You cannot replace a person," But in this case all people care about is replacing a ride. I prey for those who were involved in this situation.

Awesome post Hank!!! That could very well be the best, and most down to earth post I've read on these boards in years.

Something like this should be a real eye opener for everyone. Just knowing that any ride you board could turn out like this... or worse. You can put a price tag on the cost of the ride, or how much money it eats maintenance wise; but you can't put a price on the 27 lives that were in danger. Thank god that bruises, lost teeth, and a broken rib are the worst of the injuries... considering that given the speed of the train at that point of the ride this could have turned out far worse than it did.

I hope everyone involved in the accident is doing well in their recovery.

I agree with Braves0511 I worried more about the ride than the people and I know better!! I called all my friends and said look what happened to the SOB!! My friends said is anyone hurt and I was like OH just 27 people sent to the doctor! My friends sat me down and talked to me about how there is more to life than rollarcoasters and Kings Island. The last thing they said to me was if someone died to talk about only coaster would be shamful to his/her memory!!!! I feel so bad! I am just glad no one died! pkister sad.gifsad.gif

You're definitely right, but i too should hold my tongue because i was thinking more of the ride...  It's hard when you sit here day in and day out talking about the rides and such, they almost in a very weird way become your "friends", and since i knew none of the people, in my head i worried more about my "friend" than the people i didn't know, which is wrong...  Sorry that was kind of dumb, but it was the best way i could say it...

Yeah...I feel the same way, Braves. It's pretty easy to develop an emotional atteachment to a ride with as much personality as SoB...lol...but it does make you think...I mean I rode this ride just the day before, and it could have just as easily been me who had to go to the hospital.... sad.gif Great eye-opening post Hank! guitar.gif

I think that is what would be called "Reactive Attachment Disorder."

If you are having irrational and inappropriate perspectives, connections and thoughts (more concern with a rollercoaster than the riders who may have been injured) regarding an inantimate object (ie - SOB) it is indeed not healthy.

OK, out of Social Worker Mode - Back to The Motorcycle.

Have fun today kids!

The way I see it is that people were injured - but not killed. They were treated. They survived. That is very fortunate.

So yeah - I was worried about it at first. But when I found out that everyone ended coming out ok from it - I didn't really think any more about it. Why should I?

Of course I am now worried about the coaster. We know how the people came out. We do not know how the coaster is going to come out. I would be saddened by its removal - but I was saddened by the Flyers removal too. Life goes on....

So yeah - right now I am more concerned with the ride than the people - and I don't see anything wrong with it...

And to answer the next obvious question - if I had been on it - if I had broken bones - I would indeed be upset about it. But I would still be worried about the coaster's future - and if it did reopen - I would still ride it...