What changes, if any, would you make?

bsktgrvy

I'm sure there have been several threads started like this over the years, but I'm curious as to what people think about this.

If you were CEO of KI, and had a big budget to use, what would you add, subtract, or change at KI? Would you change anything?

1. To satisfy the big coaster fans, tear down SOB and put in one of the floorless hyper-coasters (my terminology may not be perfect) - I think like Apollo's Chariot I have seen on tv. Or whatever giant coaster you like. Make sure The Beast always stays operable and safe - it's the best wooden coaster ever built.

2. As much as I love The Racer - I think it's just getting too old. Tear it down, but build an homage to it and add a new racing wooden coaster in it's place - similar to Lightning Racer at Hershey Park but with some new unique features.

3. Spruce up the train ride - add animated figures, more buildings, etc.

4. It's like this already to some extent, but configure the Coney Mall area to be a historical area of the early days of PKI - bring back some of the original rides (they would have to be built again, I'm sure). Select a ride or 2 from each section of the original park layout. Maybe the tumble bug, or Bayern Curve, or the wooden shoes, the rotor, I wish I could think of more...

5. Expand Winterfest - more shows, an indoor ride perhaps, etc.

6. I'd like to see a real haunted house like Lesourdsville Lake (Americana) had when I was a kid, only with today's technology.

What are your ideas?

3 words...

B & M

I don't care which one, any of them, ok, maybe not a stand up, but any of the others...floorless, inverted, hyper, drop coaster, flying, or even something like the Hulk. Dueling coasters wouldn't be bad either.

If B&M is out of the question, I wouldn't mind a nice intimin either. 300, 400, 500 ft tall intimin, any of those would work for me.

Aside from coasters, I'd clean up the park, enforce the wardrobe a little better, spruce up the landscaping, throw in an awesome darkride (like darkastle or spiderman). I'd add some funding to the entertainment budget, bringing back favorites like the Star Trek characters or the "Way too much TV band", and the live bands that used to play at Bubba Gumps and out in BB. I'd also throw in a night time parade and show to complement the nighttime fireworks. I'd also bring back an animal show or a stunt show, and get rid of one of the karoke shows. I might try to partner up with a few untapped cable stations, like the Discovery channel or the food network, hosting live cooking shows in the park like Universal does with Emeril from time to time, or have the Tuttles come in and show off a few of their bikes. I'd also try to add a few local marching bands to the parades, like Kings or Mason, or even UC.

From a food and beverage standpoint, I'd try to add to the parks already nice assortment of menu items. I'd probably update Wings diner and add another stand serving good wholesome foods like fried chicken and mashed potatoes. And of course we need deep fried turkey legs, even though they didn't do well in the past. We'll leave all of this up to Italian Chef. The only other changes I'd make would be more funnel cake locations, probably right on International street, and I'd take a serious look at the financial offering free soft drinks like the friendliest park in the world. Also, free parking wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ok, maybe I took this idea and ran a little far with it, but if I were Exec VP at ki, I'd take a look at a few of these ideas.

smile.gif Yeah, I was pretty onboard with everything...until <eeek> I saw The Racer comment

Look - The Racer has always been a big favorite of mine - but coasters don't last forever.

If the ride can be made smoother again so that there is not a bone-jarring jolt at the bottom of the first hill - then by all means it should be kept.

3 words...

B & M

I don't care which one, any of them, ok, maybe not a stand up, but any of the others...floorless, inverted, hyper, drop coaster, flying, or even something like the Hulk. Dueling coasters wouldn't be bad either.

If B&M is out of the question, I wouldn't mind a nice intimin either. 300, 400, 500 ft tall intimin, any of those would work for me.

Aside from coasters, I'd clean up the park, enforce the wardrobe a little better, spruce up the landscaping, throw in an awesome darkride (like darkastle or spiderman). I'd add some funding to the entertainment budget, bringing back favorites like the Star Trek characters or the "Way too much TV band", and the live bands that used to play at Bubba Gumps and out in BB. I'd also throw in a night time parade and show to complement the nighttime fireworks. I'd also bring back an animal show or a stunt show, and get rid of one of the karoke shows. I might try to partner up with a few untapped cable stations, like the Discovery channel or the food network, hosting live cooking shows in the park like Universal does with Emeril from time to time, or have the Tuttles come in and show off a few of their bikes. I'd also try to add a few local marching bands to the parades, like Kings or Mason, or even UC.

From a food and beverage standpoint, I'd try to add to the parks already nice assortment of menu items. I'd probably update Wings diner and add another stand serving good wholesome foods like fried chicken and mashed potatoes. And of course we need deep fried turkey legs, even though they didn't do well in the past. We'll leave all of this up to Italian Chef. The only other changes I'd make would be more funnel cake locations, probably right on International street, and I'd take a serious look at the financial offering free soft drinks like the friendliest park in the world. Also, free parking wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ok, maybe I took this idea and ran a little far with it, but if I were Exec VP at ki, I'd take a look at a few of these ideas.

All great ideas!

I would:

1. Burn SOB in the world's largest bonfire during Fear Fest and hand out free Smores.

2. Slash parking prices in half and get rid of preferred parking, freeing $$$ from paying those security guards who watch over the preferred parking area so they can run the trams full-time.

3. Lose the metal detectors.

4. Revamp the landscaping at the entrance of the park, making it one of the prettiest entrances ever!

5. Get at least 6 shows put together for the park including a stunt show of some kind.

6. Build an official Kings Island Resort Hotel and Museum with old Kings Island memorabilia and artifacts strewn about the hallways and lobbies for people to look at. The hotel experience would include constant appearances by prominent Kings Island characters whether they be from Nickelodeon or HB.

7. Create a new area to the park linking Action Zone to Coney Mall, most likely through the SOB "burning grounds".

8. As with the entrance, revamp the landscaping through the park, making it more beautiful than ever.

Man, where to start?!

I could type up a really long list of things I'd personally change... but why waste the time?

The A#1 thing that I would alter immediately is all the ridiculous commercialization that has raped that park over the years. All of the cross promotion is vial. The park is supposed to be a place to get away from all of that.

Every single one of the in-park ads and movie tie-ins would get chucked no matter how much the sponsor gives to the park. Heck, the park spent countless $ just a year or so ago to put in those awful scrolling billboards throughout the park.

I live by the Walt Disney park ideal. I mean, Walt Disney would have a heart attack at seeing a billboard in Fantasyland advertising a new John Deere Tractor... let alone a restaraunt in Tomorrowland.

IMO, get ride of 90% of that, and you have solved 90% of the bad perception that PKI can have. Not that PKI has a bad reputation... quite the opposite... I just think people are put off by the lack of escapism.

Shaggy

Side bar: I admit that I am an old sourpuss when it comes to this sort of thing in general. A few years back, I pretty much stopped wearing t-shirts etc that advertised things. Why? I am not paid to be a billboard, and don't like it that clothing is used to try and influence me as to where to spend my money. Think about it, why are we having to PAY to walk around advertising Old Navy across our chest?

Food I would add at least another sit down restraunt!

I would add a duling racer coaster where you have near misses etc. but race the whole time.

I would add a huge budget to landscaping and return it to glory days:

Thinking Kings Island needs a huge influx of flat rides I would build a themed area the Boardwalk with about 12 flats some classic ones!

Also at least 2-3 more dark rides they need one totally scary one on water and one like fairy tale story or something like that.

But overall Kings Island is great!

I'm so glad to see that other people think like I do in terms of theme park priorities.

The first thing I'd do is scout for new talent--original shows and entertainment with fresh concepts.

I'd also tighten up the theming in all the areas, and add some weenies to the park--aside from the Eiffel Tower (and of course, most of the coasters), there really aren't any, are there?

The area in Rivertown where they used to take the old-time photos (I think that's what was there; near the Wild Thornberrys ride) needs some attention. I'd probably add an enclosed theatre there.

Also, new dark rides. Plenty of 'em. And a few more concert festivals at Timberwolf, especially indie bands--there hasn't been a good concert there since Modest Mouse, and that was what, two years ago? biggrin.gif

On that note, the amphitheatre is owned and operated by CF, right? I could see it being managed by an external booking company or something similar, and just happening to be part of the park.

I live by the Walt Disney park ideal. I mean, Walt Disney would have a heart attack at seeing a billboard in Fantasyland advertising a new John Deere Tractor... let alone a restaraunt in Tomorrowland.

Actually Disneyworld and Disneyland is one big advertisement for the Disney corporation, isn't it?

I'm asking for easy stuff. Open the park earlier because morning is the best.

Have a place that sold a variety of breakfast at the park. Hotcakes and eggs @ KI?? Yum.

Change the theme of the Festhaus, and vent whatever that smell is out through the roof.

Quit playing that depressing song over and over on Int'l Street. I think it might be the theme to Forrest Gump? When I hear that, I want to leave the park and crawl in a hole and be depressed.

See, not too much to ask for.

Now, Cedar Fair, might not do all these things, but since it seems PARAMOUNT may disappear, they should emphasize Kings Island. Here's some of my changes:

- Repaint The Racer to its original color scheme, replace the trains with ones without headrests (still PTC 3-bench), possibly even return the South trains to forward operation.

- Renovate the International Restaurant to a chain restaurant serving American food, maybe Friday's, have an outdoor seating section, and a passenger elevator (besides the existing service elevator)

- Implode Son of Beast, if it is not possible to make it better. It would be the biggest show in Kings Island's history - even do it at night with fireworks, at night - Las Vegas style! Replace with a large B&M coaster.

- Reprofile, improve Son of Beast so that mid-course and drop brakes are unnecessary.

I've heard new trains (PTC of course) would help, too.

- Return the style of International Street to its 1972-81 form, with the wide-open street and sidewalks. The trees are nice, but a wider street would better allow for parades, marching bands, and safer, easier movement.

- Remove Tomb Raider, including the building, and give Rivertown its proper theme back.

- Re-introduce the jungle theme to the Action Zone area, even if animals are not part of the mix.

A. Turn Stunt Crew Grill back into Cafe Kilimanjaro. The original structure is still intact. Other buildings could be rethemed as well

B. New paint schemes and names (even themes) for Face/Off, Drop Zone, and Top Gun, probably even Delirium. Relocate Xtreme Skyfler as Ripcord, and Days of Thunder as something better than an oval.

C. Since Son of Beast may be removed, replace with B&M coaster.

- Renovate Coney Mall into an mixture of an Art Deco/60's Contemporary style - the style Coney Island's mall was in the 1960s. Lots of bright lights, large signage, return the ginko trees, add a small fountain almost similar to the one Coney Island in the 1960s.

- Build new flat rides surrounding what is now Italian Job, and other small to medium vacant areas. Currently too much dead space, IMO.

- Re-introduce Oktoberfest by improving Festhaus, bringing back German food, adding some rides, re-theming Adventure Express.

- General parking would be included with admission, with the option for paying extra to park in a preferred lot.

- Regular size soft drinks for $1.

smile.gif  Yeah, I was pretty onboard with everything...until <eeek> I saw The Racer comment

Look - The Racer has always been a big favorite of mine - but coasters don't last forever.

If the ride can be made smoother again so that there is not a bone-jarring jolt at the bottom of the first hill - then by all means it should be kept.

Dude, Racer is even more historically significant than King Cobra (America's first stand up), Beast (Longest woodie), Vortex (First with 6 inversions methinks), SoB (First hyper/looping woodie), and FoF (First LIM) combined! Do you realise that this is the very coaster that brought in the second comings of amusement parks? Tearing it down would be like killing all of the amusement park industries at the same time!

1. Have Intamin retrack SOB with their prefabricated track system and their own trains for the track if that don't work then...TEAR IT DOWN!!!

2. Install a B&M flying coaster in Rivertown and name it The Bat, and install a B&M stand-up in Coney Mall and name it King Cobra.

3. Bring back the Clown Marching Band! Those guys were awesome!

4. Strip ALL Paramount references from the park and just name the park Kings Island.

Actually Disneyworld and Disneyland is one big advertisement for the Disney corporation, isn't it?

Not originally. Walt just wanted a place for families to enjoy themselves--kids and parents alike. When Disneyland first opened, there was next to no Disney theming (think Frontierland, Main Street, etc.). Even attractions that were based on Disney properties were more focused on the feeling than the brand: the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, for example, is less about the story and more about the experience of such a lifestyle.

Of course, the Man got the best of the Disney parks and now we have things like Tarzan's treehosue, complete with vile mannequins in the once-enchanting structure (in Disneyland, anyway).

For more bitterness, you might find this blog fascinating.

- Remove Tomb Raider, including the building, and give Rivertown its proper theme back.

Since when has The Beast had anything to do with any Rivertown Themeing?

Beast has always been closely themed to Rivertown.

Heck, when it opened there used to be all the lake area around it and water used to go through a wooden structure in the que line.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread!

The general consensus seems to be to get back to themed areas and have all the rides in that area match the theme.

Adding more green space and landscaping in certain areas and remove green space in others and replace them with rides also seems to be a thought.

KI does not have to be made to look exacty like it did when it opened, but it would be nice if they would consider adding some elements of the early days and getting them to mesh with the new elemenets of the park - I think the re-theming of rides to make sure they match the area they are in would be a big plus.

Since when has The Beast had anything to do with any Rivertown Themeing?

Beast has always been closely themed to Rivertown.

Heck, when it opened there used to be all the lake area around it and water used to go through a wooden structure in the que line.

The water was there up until the season Vortex opened, I believe. The water used to run through one of those "mill conveyor things" near the station and drop into the lake below. I had always heard that the water was removed as part of the construction process for Vortex...I have no idea if that is true or not. In the beginning, there was actually a whole "back story" to the legend of The Beast that tied into the themeing. Unfortunately, that element has been lost over the years.

I think it's interesting that there seems to be a lot of hoping that Cedar Fair will be the salvation of themeing at PKI...everyone has actually been to a CF park to see their approach to themeing, right? wink.gif

I think I'm one of the few here who doesn't care as much about theming as a good ride. I like themed areas to parks, but I'm not crazy about rides needing theming (FoF, TR:TR, IJ).

It's fine with me if a ride has extensive theming, but all I ask is that if you're going to spend the money to create the theming, then keep up with it. If you're not going to, don't bother, it just becomes an eyesore after a couple years.

I don't believe Cedar Fair is into the whole theme park scene as much as KI has always been. Like, Cedar Point has a Frontier Trail themed area, and that's about it. The rest of it is pure Amusement park. I'm more into that, personally.

Give me more rides that are out in the open, giving different quality rides. Don't give me something like Back to the Future at Universal that's fun the first couple times, but is essentially the same exact thing over and over. Theming gets tired after a while. Just a straight-up great ride does not.

I thought of a very good fearfest attraction would be you know the old time photo shop could be a fear fest attraction and make the entrence by Old minning company thing and make it like your giong into a mine factory where the workers are traped in there for the rest of there lives and feed off of people and even have some mine monsters like creatures.

The Beast does hold some themeing to rivertown like the old run down mine queue house. Tomb Raider I like to think holds that kind of feeling, the mine themed Cave. And the sheer amount of bamboo everywhere. Only exception in the presents of the huge box enclosing the ride that stands out.

OK!.. My list, like it or not:

-Retheme/Reopen Int. Str. Restuaraunt as a Fridays (that was a good idea)

-retouch Int. Str. just make it better to be there!

-I agree with the overhauling the theme in Action Zone! But more of a "mesh" of thrill rides... kind of like Knott's.

-Coney Mall needs some reworking... pay homage to Coney Island! (racers are fine... just repaint them)

-Redo the area were FoF is... lose the "area 51" feel! Create a new area there with nothing but GIANT flats from HUSS! Maybe there "Land of the Giants" themed area would work there!

-Redo the Oktoberfest theme... GERMAN FOOD!

-Relocate AE to Rivertown... it would fit better... retheme TR:TR as a mine shaft..

-Just restructure SOB with steel supports and better trains.

-WE NEED A TRULY SCARY/AWESOME DARKRIDE!! Maybe a "Phantoms Revenge"? HAHA!!!

-Make smoother transitions from themed areas.. EX: Rivertown to Nick Universe! That just hurts my eyes! It's like going from old black and white photo to freaking bright as hell cartoon! Landscaping can do this better!

-Backstage tours! Like the ones at Disney/Universal... were guest can go in the shops/stages of PKI and even behind of some rides likes FoF and SDATHC

-More "sit down" style restuaraunts...

-BRING BACK THE DOLPHIN SHOWS!!! and maybe some stunt shows!

-Add some cool flat/coney style rides around IJ:ST...

-Redo the train... it's a great train, just throw in some stuff to it.

-More funding to the Entertainment Dept. For shows and events! I would LOVE to see Fearfest get to the par of HHN or HH! (PKI just needs to hire ALOT MORE ACTORS FOR THIS!)

-Lower all prices... from tix to food!

-Fix the parking mess (trams)

-Destroy ALL advertising within the park... outside the park and in the brochures are fine... Just imagine parking in "Toyota Row 10"....

-Improve park security to properties... I hate seeing vandalized and broken stuff at KI because of stupid kids! And really hit on the "no smoking" rule!

-Get rid of Coke... bring in Pepsi!

-Book ALOT more shows at Timberwolf! Concerts, Talk Shows, Movie Premieres, themed shows...etc.

-More walk around entertainment

-----------------------------------

That's about it! LOL!! -Hauntguy