Magic of the Movies

Captain Obvious

From what I have heard, the park is not satisfied with the current state of the show. I heard that Al Weber, the CEO of Paramount Parks was at PKI in early May. I heard that he, along with Craig Ross, the GM of PKI, and the entertainment department at PKI, were not happy with the state of Magic of the Movies. This show has so much potential, but it is executed very poorly. I would much rather have a mahic show, or a musical type show like Graveyard Shift. At least those shows I wouldn`t mind seeing a second time. I do not intend to see Magic of the Movies again. Once was more than enough for me.

I agree with Fusiondude, that Magic of the Movies isn't the best show PKI ever offered. I still say bring back GRAVEYARD SHIFT. It rocked the house.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

:chef:

I agree the best show I've seen at the park was graveyardshift they shouldn't have ever taken it out even hough Spellbound was pretty good.

Magic of the movies is, without a doubt, the low point of Paramount Park Entertainment. It is unmistakably awful. Now that is quite a statement considering I have seen previous bombs such as "Cheers: The Musical" and "ET Live."

I have seen the show twice, on opening weekend, and then again last week. So I saw the original incarnation, and now the re-tooled one. I had heard that the show had been "improved" and decided to give it another try. Well, it was no better the second time around. I will not see the show again.

I have NEVER filed a complaint at PKI, but this mess really deserves one. My problems with the show are:

There is absolutely no content.

There is absolutely no cast.

It is just a bunch of bad, inappropriate jokes.

It is poorly scripted.

It is boring.

It does not treat the ears and eyes.

It serves as almost nothing more than a commercial for "Spongebob" the movie.

Worst of all, and the reasoning for my complaint is... I find it lewd and inappropriate for families and children. There are jokes about passing gas, there is a clip of Kate Winslet undressing, there is a joke about the gal character in Titanic "getting a really big...... diamond." In addition to that, they feature two of the more questionable clips from movies that were originally rated for ages over 13 in the theatres. As a matter of fact, wasn't Sleepy Hollow "R" rated?

I noticed at my second viewing that the park had to cut one scene in which the "comedic" emcee character got beheaded. Obviously this was done out of respect for the recent beheading in Iraq. In my opinion it should have not been there to begin with.

I equate "Magic of the Movies" at the Paramount Theatre to a rotten easter egg.... It is all very nicely decorated on the outside and very esthetically pleasing. However once you get inside, the content stinks.

I mean, one has to ask.... did the Spongbob commercial get inserted just so they could blow bubbles at the audience, or did they blow bubbles at the audience just to show a Spongebob commercial? Either way, it is pitiful.

Also, what is up with the attempt at a rip on "Who Wants to be a Millionare?" Ok, delivered once the joke is just mediocre.... twice is a snooz... three times makes me want to get up and walk out. Millionare is an ABC property and the actual game is performed at Disney parks. Of course there is no comparison, but the show at PKI is just using the sucess of a competitor's property to lay a bad joke egg.

Paramount Pictures is one of, if not the, most popular names in entertainment. They are leaders in their field. They should be mortified by the poor show and yank it immediately. It is an embarassment to a company that brought us classics like "Sunset Boulevard","Raiders of the Lost Ark","The Ten Commandments" etc etc etc.

They would be much better suited to take the "effects" and place them in a demonstration hall... perhaps one of the empty shops on International Street.... and open it up for all general public to try.

They should then create a musical revue to fit the Paramount Theatre that covers some of the better movies in Paramount's History.... hire a singing and dancing cast.... a large one... that does take offs of "Grease" and "Footloose" or "Flashdance" etc. These are proven time-honored classics that audiences always enjoy.

It should be noted that Paramount Parks outsourced this show's production. It was not produced in-house. Frankly, the management of Paramount Parks should sue the production company for delivering them a load of crap. And hopefully they'll wise up and realize that today's audiences will not tolerate having their time wasted.

The show also prooves that you should never rely on audience members to help "deliver" on stage. At both performances, the staff chose to involve teenagers in the on-stage demonstrations that really had no business being up there. They bottled up and froze on stage, not even being able to mutter their own names when asked. On top of that, they were so concerned with how they were being percieved by their friends in the audience that they wouldn't ham it up... which the show is desperately crying out for. One of the girls I saw got mad and threw the wig and glasses off during the Titanic demonstration at which the already dead show got it's final nail hammered into the coffin.

If you are gonna involve the audience, choose little kids.... or adults that aren't shy. Offer them an incentive to go up there... like a prize or such so that the embarassment doesn't seem so great.

I am amazed at how dumb the particpants are as well.... I wouldn't think that clip clopping coconuts together to make a horse sound would be such a difficult task... but apparently it is. Neither of the folks in the show I saw could understand that you needed to clap them on the countertop at different intervals. Rather they both clapped the halves together like clapping hands. Oy!

As a side note, the Paramount Theatre is beautiful and I think that it's refurbishment was extremely well done. Kudos to the park for sinking much needed $ into the theatre.

If it were me, I'd close the show and use the new high tech sound and projection system to show The Beast 25th Anniversary video a varying times during the day. It's is much more interesting and entertaining. Plus it enables those that do not have a wait at The Beast a chance to see it in it's entirety. Unless The Beast line is excruciatingly long..... like an hour... no one will ever see the whole Beast 25th movie.

Shaggy

I am amazed at how dumb the particpants are as well.... I wouldn't think that clip clopping coconuts together to make a horse sound would be such a difficult task... but apparently it is. Neither of the folks in the show I saw could understand that you needed to clap them on the countertop at different intervals. Rather they both clapped the halves together like clapping hands. Oy!

As a side note, the Paramount Theatre is beautiful and I think that it's refurbishment was extremely well done. Kudos to the park for sinking much needed $ into the theatre.

Shaggy

lol... I actually made the mistake of hitting them together myself when I was in the show. The reason behind that its, the counter top itself has about an inch and a half of either fabric or padding on it. It looks like it's just an elaborate stand for them... hate to break it to you, but hitting two hollow cocoanuts together to make the thump of a horse's hoof makes a heck of a lot more sense then slamming them against a padded surface. In fact, I think it may even sound more like the action itself. Next time you see one of the horse drawn carriages in downtown Cincinnati, listen to the noise it makes... it it a deep thump, or almost a distinct click?

ok well here's a wild idea..why don't they use the theater to show movies in?? i mean come on PKI you just spent $1 million for this crap. it's a nice theater now.. just show movies in it. that way when people get bored in the park (which i'm not sure why some do but whatever) they can come watch a movie. they could show like 10 movies a day so you can come whenever your movie is on. i think it would rock.. it's a PARAMOUNT park so show these paramount movies already

I hope that next year, we'll have a better show. My first choice is Graveyard Shift.

However, I'd love to see an "Iron Chef" type show in which audience members are chosen to compete against PKI cooks with a secret ingredient. The judges can be audience members.

And needless to say, I'd love to be a challenges.

Allez Cuisine!

Italian Chef

:chef: