My Opinion of IJST has changed

KIfan73

When they were building the Italian Job, it was exciting.

The first couple of times I rode it, I thought it was really neat.

The last two times I have been there, I have decided it is THE BIGGEST EYESORE in the entire park. Since the newness has wore off, I sorely miss the Antique Cars. They have completely ruined that area of the park. I really don't think it would be nearly as bad if they kept the coaster and got rid of all that theming, with just grass underneath.

What started out for me as neat Hollywood-style theming now just looks like a big pile of junk. All the barrels and corrugated metal all over the place. It looks worse than what I have to look at when I drive route 35 to get to the park. Right in what was the prettiest, dare I say most sacred, part of the park with its vicinity to the Eiffel Tower.

Now its depressing to think how many decades that thing is going to sit there.

My opinion changed recently compared to last year but in a good way. last year when I rode it they had two trains running, the ride itself was much louder, the effects weren't working at the explosion part, and it just seemed slower. This year I rode in the back, they must have changed the wheels as it seems much quieter, the effects in the scene where you stop were more fun to watch. It seemed as if more was going on then. Yes, the lights and speakers weren't working, but everything else was great. And best off, during a very empty day, they had all trains running.

Goes to show that theming is not always the best idea. I'd rather take a coaster flying through naturally beautiful trees than cut them down for some theming that won't be kept up after the first year. Everyone who screams for KI to do more highly themed rides, this is what happens! It's what's always happened! KI can't keep up with theming! censored.gif

The average guest doesn't notice if a certain themed element is not work on a given day. I have a lot of friends and relatives that love IJST. I moved to Cincy from Florida less than a year ago. My family and I had annual passes to Disney, Universal, and Sea World. Since we visited these parks frequently, we would notice certain themed elements (special effects) not working on a given day at these parks, yes, even disney. I think a lot of this has to do with how frequently you go to the park, which makes you notice the small things more often. (I do agree that many of the theme elements on IJST, music, etc... has been a bust.) BUT, I WOULD STILL PREFER A WELL THEMED ATTRACTION OVER A RIDE THAT IS DUMPED ON SOME CONCRETE.

I think IJ:ST is great the way it is... Great theming, great ride, great experience! I for one thought for years... "Hey, I could so build a coaster were the 'tiques are!"...I think it's great addition to the park and would love to see another ride with the "industrial" type theming! -Hauntguy

Goes to show that theming is not always the best idea. I'd rather take a coaster flying through naturally beautiful trees than cut them down for some theming that won't be kept up after the first year. Everyone who screams for KI to do more highly themed rides, this is what happens! It's what's always happened! KI can't keep up with theming! censored.gif

Sounds like you've described The Beast. <G>

As far as the comparison for the want for more themeing, it is more than just bells and whistles.

Take a look at the raves about the restoration of Festhaus.

I don't think you can really call those extreme modifications or restorations but they do the trick.

Goes to show that theming is not always the best idea. I'd rather take a coaster flying through naturally beautiful trees than cut them down for some theming that won't be kept up after the first year. Everyone who screams for KI to do more highly themed rides, this is what happens! It's what's always happened! KI can't keep up with theming!  censored.gif

Sounds like you've described The Beast. <G>

As far as the comparison for the want for more themeing, it is more than just bells and whistles.

Take a look at the raves about the restoration of Festhaus.

I don't think you can really call those extreme modifications or restorations but they do the trick.

When I heard about the screens and projectors leaving the Festhaus, it was like a black cloud had lifted and I could see the sun again!

I haven't been back since CF officially took over, I'm going to try to get down there this weekend.

-adam12

I will be making my first trip to Kings Island this year on the 30th of July. Regretably, I did visit the park last year to witness perhaps the worst landscaping decision ever made by the park. Italian Slop: Crap Track. This piece of junk looks just like a big scrapyard, especially from atop the Eiffel Tower. I would give so much to see it go. It just ruins the entire atmosphere of walking back into the park. It was one of the few qualities of the park that gave it, shall I say, ( A Cedar Fair ATMOSPHERE) when the antique cars were there.

I am looking forward to seeing the things that Paramount saved Cedar Fair the liberty of having to remove themselves. Like the T.V.'s in the Festhaus, and I've heard that the t.v.'s are gone throughout the park too. (Is that true?)

One other thing that I am looking forward to (although at the same time it will be kind of sad) is Cedar Fair (hopefully) changing the music down International Street. Honestly, they have played the same music for over a decade. With the exception of the soundtrack for the Nick Parade.

But, just the same, I am looking greatly forward to going to Kings Island this year.

Sorry to hear about the Son of Beast. I would not have rode this ride anyways, because the last time I rode it, ( a year ago in August ) the ride felt like it was ripping my stomach through my heart. But for those of you who love it like religion. I am sorry that Paramount was not more responsible when deciding to build this Beast. On another note, they should change the name of "Fairly Odd Parents" back to "The Beastie". And they should build a "Beast Lives" or something.

And again I return to my point, it is never a good idea for a huge corporation to run an amusment park.  When they do, they become so money hungry that they don't give a darn.  IJST, WORST...IDEA...EVER!

Well, atleast you ride it all the time according to a privious post you made in another topic, "It seems like everytime I go to the park that is all I ever ride anymore, The Beast and IJST. And occasionally FoF"

hauntguy, I agree with you. The ride is great! The themeing is something Kings Island did not have and needed. Although I will admit I do not think it is worth anything over a 20 minute wait it is still a fun filled coaster! People seem to only think of what is now gone from the ride, c'mon people look at how much is still there! The launch is what always packs a punch for me. That car blasts off fast.

I still find it interesting that the Antique Cars are sitting behind Delirium, almost two years after they were removed.

king_cobra_27, the TVs that are in all the queue lines are still there. The only ones that they removed were the large projection screens in the Festhaus.

And again I return to my point, it is never a good idea for a huge corporation to run an amusment park.  When they do, they become so money hungry that they don't give a darn.  IJST, WORST...IDEA...EVER!

...how do you classify a "huge" corporation? Does Cedar Fair fit that description? Even if not, Anheuser-Busch and Disney most certainly would...

I'm sure we'd be hearing from others right now if the antiques were still here on when something is going to take its place. Parks can't make everyone happy.

Yes, but we've seen recently that some have rather poor judgment.

It was a bad idea to remove the Antique Cars as it would be a Crime to remove The Racers.

Goes to show that theming is not always the best idea. I'd rather take a coaster flying through naturally beautiful trees than cut them down for some theming that won't be kept up after the first year. Everyone who screams for KI to do more highly themed rides, this is what happens! It's what's always happened! KI can't keep up with theming!  censored.gif

So you'd also say that you would rather ride Flight of Fear out in the open in broad daylight then inside a near pitch-black building, even though some effects don't work?

And from what I can remember, Cedar Point doesn't do to well with theming, either. *eyes Disaster Transport* Name ONE coaster at a Cedar Fair park that runs through NATURAL trees instead of a "concrete parking lot." rolleyes.gif

Now you can understand why I wanted Busch Gardens to buy us instead of Cedar Fair.

Personally, I like the theming. I think TRTR is possibly the most fun ride @ KI. I also like FOF. To me, those rides are in areas where their structures don't stand out so bad. Its just with IJST its right in the middle of everything, and the props they chose for the theming just looks like an out of control road project. It would probably look cool in AZ. It just looks so out of place where its at.

So you'd also say that you would rather ride Flight of Fear out in the open in broad daylight then inside a near pitch-black building, even though some effects don't work?

And from what I can remember, Cedar Point doesn't do to well with theming, either. *eyes Disaster Transport* Name ONE coaster at a Cedar Fair park that runs through NATURAL trees instead of a "concrete parking lot." rolleyes.gif

Now you can understand why I wanted Busch Gardens to buy us instead of Cedar Fair.

I don't mind Flight of Fear being indoors. That has nothing to do with theming. I don't like how flood lights are now on in the hanger area making all of the cool lighting effects that FoF has null and void. And everything is dusty and cobweb-ridden while the inside of the saucer is carved up more than a jack-o-lantern. The ride could be indoors without it being themed to anything. Its theming is what's gone downhill like all themed rides at KI (Not counting the awesome kids area). I'm not against theming, I'm just against heavily theming a ride and letting it deteriorate after a season.

And I never said anything about Cedar Point doing theming well. One big difference between Cedar Point and KI is that CP is pretty much an island. I can't say that I know the history of the land or if it even ever had an abundance of trees. But the basic problem is that they have run out of room, so they can't really work with a forest or anything like KI can. So I'm not all that worried that Cedar Fair is going to turn KI into a parking lot. I'm sure they'll work well with what they got.

I agree with RingMaster. I think it is crazy to say that TRTR would be better just siting on piece of concrete with out the theming. Even if all the theming for TRTR is not going it still is one of the best themed rides in the midwest if not US. I also wanted to see Busch buy the park. They would have increase the theming of the areas and rides, add great new shows, better food/mechandise and still added some great B&Ms. My only hope is that Cedar Fair does see PKI as a family park (which they have said many times in statements) and continues to treat it that way. If you want a midway, steel and concrete experience go to Cedar Point.

I agree with RingMaster. I think it is crazy to say that TRTR would be better just siting on piece of concrete with out the theming. Even if all the theming for TRTR is not going it still is one of the best themed rides in the midwest if not US. I also wanted to see Busch buy the park. They would have increase the theming of the areas and rides, add great new shows, better food/mechandise and still added some great B&Ms. My only hope is that Cedar Fair does see PKI as a family park (which they have said many times in statements) and continues to treat it that way. If you want a midway, steel and concrete experience go to Cedar Point.

Actually, Geauga Lake has a Top Spin "on a piece of concrete" and my friends who have been there said that it blows TR:TR away mainly because it does more of what a Top spin is designed to do, which is flip you as much as it can. And it's not even a GIANT Top Spin. So, yeah, I think it would be better outside instead of trying to follow a bad "storyline".

...so coming face-to-face with icicles and a raging volcano is considered a "bad storyline?"

And if you're complaining about the ride not spinning enough, go ride Kings Dominion's Tomb Raider: FIREFALL. That thing spins you upside down 7 times, with guests tumbling head over heels up to four times IN A ROW. And THAT'S not even a Giant Top Spin (more of a Suspended Top Spin with back-to-back seating).

I actually still like the ride. Sure, the soundtrack no longer runs, but on an average visit, the effects all work and the ride is pretty smooth. And who can argue with that near-90 degree banking at the bottom of the helix?

I think that paramount had the opportunity to produce something unique that would have been a big draw but instead took the easy and safe way out.

What could have and should have been done is build a new section to the park to showcase rides and shows with the Paramount theming. Last time I checked there is plenty of land out beyond The Racer where FoF was built. I think IJST should have been built there, along with TRTR, and I still believe they should have produced an attraction along the lines of the Star Trek experience. Using similar technology including the beaming room and motion simulators they could have produced a ride that was truly Disney quality. I would have built the outside of the building to be based on a building from one of the Star Trek movies, displayed real props throughout the entrance area, and even had a themed food location inside the building.

And who can argue with that near-90 degree banking at the bottom of the helix?

Umm, the people that believe the helicopter attack sequence is the best part of the ride. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif That, and the launch.

That too. I just love how the first thing after the innitial launch is getting whipped into that spiral. The end of the helix is boring, but I'm pretty sure the begging of it is 90 degrees. Can anyone confirm that?