Not So Happiest Place on Earth...

RailRider

Just pulled in to town a few days ago from the family vacation from Orlando Florida. The wife and I went to Orlando with my 2 older brothers, their families, and my parents. Basically it was the Griswalds go to WallyWorld, except the park was open and we were not whistling zipidee do dah when we left.

I will keep this short, but here is the general outline of our trip. We had 11 people total so we rented one of the numerous vacation homes in Kissimmee. I recomend that anyone traveling to the Orlando area rent one of these homes if you are going in a large group. They are cheapier and bigger than hotels plus you get your own pool. We went through AllStar Vacation Homes, recomend it to everyone.

Our plan was to visit the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and then pick another Disney park. After that we were going to do IOA and Universal for 2 days. I have been to these parks numerous times, but it was the first time for everyone else since they were children.

Overall impression of Magic Kingdom and Epcot. $63 a day is too expensive, the rides are not to impressive, and the crowds are ridiculous. Also the set up at the main parking lot is horrible. Hundreds of people are fighting for a limited number of seats on the tram to the transportation hub. I have never seen more unhappy people before ever reaching the park.

The Magic Kingdom is advertising that Captain Jack has come aborad Pirates of the Carribbean. Yeah there are a few places that you see Jack Sparrow, but the attraction is still unchaged from when it opened. The scene with Davy Jones in far from impressive as is the new lighting and sound. Honestly they should have left it as is and not added Jack Sparrow, because his presence now makes no difference to the ride. Here is my biggest complaint for the Magic Kingdom, gone are the days of characters walking through the park and children getting their autographs. Now you must waite in line to get their autograph and they shut the lines down so not all children will get an autograph. Also the only way to get a decent picture of your child with Mickey is to buy the Disney photograph. I talked to a cast member about the set up and he said that this is how Disney is trying to push their character meals. So yes Disney wants us to pay a little more money just so our children can get a picture and autograph with Mickey. Walt is turning in his grave over this set up. We had 3 children with us, ages 2, 6, and 10 and when we left the Magic Kingdom they were more thrilled about going home and getting in the pool than staying at the park for the night time show.

Epcot was better for the kids they enjoyed Mission Space, but still the park was overly crowded and understaffed.

We decided that after 2 days at Disney we were done with the "happiest place on earth" and that we were ready for Universal. First off just getting in to the Universal Resort from the parking garage is 100 times better than the Disney set up. The kids along with the adults absolutely loved Universal Studios and IOA. For my money there is not a better park around than IOA. I have been there 10 times since it has opened and it gets better everytime. The Mummy roller coaster is an amazing ride, rode it 5 times in 2 days. The Mummy might be a better attraction than Spiderman, that is still up for debate. The night time show at Universal is absolutely amazing, we saw it twice. The combination of fireworks, lasers, and the movie projections is amazing. Nothing else like it in Orlando.

After spending 3 days at Universal the entire group concluded that it offered a much better experience for the entire family, especially young children, because Universal characters were all over the parks.

All in all the vacation was fabulous, especially seeing as how I dont see my 2 brothers that much. One lives in Dallas and the other in St. Louis. We all had a tremendous time, but could have done with out Disney. Recomendation, Orlando is a great place for a large family to go, rent a vacation home, make Universal a must see and do Disney is you have nothing better to do.

...The Mummy roller coaster is an amazing ride, rode it 5 times in 2 days.  The Mummy might be a better attraction than Spiderman, that is still up for debate.

I totally agree with you about Universal Orlando...

Funny...I was never able to decide between Spiderman and the Mummy myself. I finally decided that my favorite was whichever one I had ridden most recently. smile.gif

Want to make USF and IOA even better? Stay on property and take advantage of "Universal Express." Practically everything is a walk-onâ€â€all the time!

^

^

^

I agree completely about staying on property. The wife and I did that 3 years ago and stayed at the Royal Pacific. Absolutely fabulous resort and next time we go we are going to stay at Portofino Bay. I also love the water taxis, great way to get from total relaxation to the excitement of CityWalk.

About the Disney characters, Universal has no problem having the X-Men out, the Characters from Madagascar, and really cool stilt walking characters themed to the Mummy and also guys on spring stilts that were doing flips in the air. They were 10 to 12 feet tall and were doing full back flips, very awesome.

Yeah, I stayed at the Royal Pacific too, but may go with the Portofino the next trip. At any rate, I think Universal will always be the focus of my trip every time.

I love all things Disney...I really do, but I had my absolute best trip to Orlando ever a few months ago and (other than a visit to Downtown Disney) never stepped foot in a Disney park! I guess that says something...

And, while it's expensive, I had one of my best days in any park at Discovery Cove. That place is fantastic...I can't wait until Busch opens their new waterpark at the Sea World property. smile.gif

No trip to Florida is ever complete for me without a stop to visit Kumba! smile.gif

Which is why I would LOVE to see a Kumba clone come to KI. Although it's hard to decide if Kumba is better than the HULK.

But hands down, Dueling Dragons over Montu. I'd be extremely happy to see dueling inverted Beemers at Kings Island rampaging through the forest, dipping above and below the treeline, coming inches away from opposing trains numerous times.

Although a Nemesis, Oblivion, and Air clone at the park would be even better (the three best coasters at Alton Towers in the UK).

We are a major disney family we go about every 1.5 years or so. You could not have picked a worse time to go, i will never again go in the summer, it is awful the parks are over crowded vs if you would go in early march, sept is a great month, also oct, early nov. feb is also good... I think the parking system is good, the trams aren't over crowded if you would wait about 5 min for another on time come along. Disney is not a "thrill ride" park it is all about the story line of things, everything has a story, they do have a few thrill rides but it's more family oriented so the whole family can enjoy rides together.

As for chareters walking around the parks, if they are in thoes huge hot suits then you wouldn't want to walk around the in the 90 + humidity ect,.

finally as for the cost, it woudl have made your tickets much much cheaper per day if you would have ordered a ten day ticket that never expires to use at a later date, i believe 10 day tickets avrage out to about $20 per day, a very very fair price IMO. yet if you do choice to only buy a 1-2 day ticket it is pricey... your choice though... the best place to dig up LOTS and LOTS of info before visiting disney/universal/ or orlando in general is disboards.com great resorce place!!!

I totally agree with becca011906. We always go in Jan. We never have to wait in line. The transportation is wonderful. We also stay onsite (at the Wilderness Lodge). Since we fly down, we rely on Disney transportation and have never had any problems. As for the characters, it worked out great to have them in a set location. We were able to get wonderful photos of our son with the characters with our own camera. I do miss the days of characters walking around, but let's face it, there are some very rude parents/adults out there that have no character etiquette. Our 3 1/2 year old son, talks about Disney almost everyday. Try the World at time other than summer.

^

^

^

Disney wants it all to be about the story, but honestly Universal's IOA has much better theming, there are attractions for the entire family, and you can expeirience rides like non other. I will also disagree that a 10 day ticket is a complete waste of money because your average guest will not visit Disney 10 times in their life nor do they have that kind of money to drop on park admission, especially for 11 people. Figure that math out. Also when you have children in school and strict vacation schedules you have very little choice but to take a family vacation during the summer. Sorry but I completely disagree Universal has a much better system for getting guests in their parks. We waited 30 minutes just to get on a tram to get to the transportation center, not to mention the fact that people kept cutting line and rushing the tram when it stopped. Honestly put some ques up at the various tram stops and this problem would be solved.

I guess i don't usally take schooling into consideration since i value the homeschooling of my children... sorry also i guess i didn't think of people that only spend 1 time in thier life going to disney we just love it so much it's usally our family destination vs any where eles when my kids are the ages they are now...

Well, Rail Rider and Becca are both right on many aspects of Disney. Me being a 17 year old kid you would seem to think that I would love Universal over Disney because of the thrill rides. Both parks are nice. I was disappointed in Universal. Its a really nice park, both of them that is, but most of the Universal park contained lame rides imo. Yes Disney has these too, but they have plenty of other rides to make up for. The best part of Univeral and IOA is the hotel pass thing where you get in front of everyone. Minus Dueling Dragons, Spiderman, The Mummy, That Sinbad show, and Jurrasic park, nothing else in the park was even interesting enough for me to do again. As for Disney, yes the parking is really complicated, but loko at how much bigger Disney is over Universal. Universal would not be able to live on their parking garage if they had the size of Disney. I still think that Disneys parking is run well. Yes, as mentioned earlier, Disney has some lame rides, but they do also have some of the most spectacular themed rides around. Rock n' Rollercoaster has a far better launch and theming, Tower of Terror is much better than Dr. Dooms, Expedition Everest is awesome, as are other rides (The mountains, Test Track... etc). I love the classic slow rides as well. Its not meant to be a thrill park. Everyone who I know who was disappointed in the Disney parks said they expected it to be a thrilling park. As for Universal, its not much cheaper than Disney. AAA Tickets for ten day passes to Disney are 280 a piece. That goes to 28 dollars a day. I feel its the perfect amount as you dont have to rush in the parks to do everything. You can take it at a pace that enables you to enjoy the surroundings. Universal doesnt even have the thrill rides to make me run back down there. I can find far more thrilling rides at Cedar Point for a much cheaper price. Its all in a matter of what you want in a park that will have you picking between them.

I can agree with gburn on the fact that Universal is a tad bit disappointing compared to Disney, even though we completely skipped Animal Kingdom and Epcot when we went a few years back. But as for thrill rides, I'd take Universal and Disney's lot over Cedar Point just because I'm more interested in the story and theming of rides.

Don't get me wrong; I love Millenium Force, Raptor, and Top Thrill Dragster as much as the next guy does. I just don't like waiting in a boring, basic queue line in the hot summer heat that leads to some ordinary ride station. That's why Flight of Fear is my favorite coaster of the lot here at Kings Island; they managed to add a whole story (as cheesy as it sounds) and neat extensive theming as well, even if some of the effects don't work.

The exception outside Kings Island is Dueling Dragons. Sure, the actual ride portion isn't extensively themed as, say, Nemesis or Black Mamba, but it has loads of trees and even a series of lakes in and around the track, instead of just being in a "parking lot". The station and queue are very well done, too, as you traverse a run-down castle charred and frozen from recent attacks by the Fire and Ice Dragons. Even if it wasn't a Dueling B&M Invert, I'd still ride that over Raptor any day.

I just think there are better coasters than what Cedar Point has to offer that aren't record breakers (exception being Dueling Dragons, of course), such as those found in Europe--Nemesis, Oblivion, Rita, Air, Corkscrew, Black Mamba Dragon Khan, Stampeda--and even the ones here in the US--Kumba, Montu, SheikRA, Gwazi, Alpengheist, Big Bad Wolf, Loch Ness, HULK.

To me, CP's just spoiled these "coaster enthusiasts" enough to where there are really good coasters outside the park get no love and respect (the fact that CP is the winner for Best Amusment Park sickens me more), especially the wooden coasters. It's always, "let's take out Son of Beast and put a big steel coaster in its place" this, and, "we need another steel coaster bad because Vortex is the tallest steelie we've got" that here at Kings Island. Yet I've rarely heard anything come from people's mouths about The Raven, The Legend, The Voyage, Thunderhead, Hades, El Toro, Wildcat (Hersheypark), Lightning Racers, and any other wooden coaster. Again, it's always, "Son of Beast is too rough" this, and, "Mean Streak's way too rough of a ride" that. censored.gif

Okay, I'm done, even though I just did a HUGE tangent there. Now I'm going to be hated by every member here on the forums. unsure.gif

*side note: I'm also 17 (getting rady to be 18 in less than a month), but I prefer slow-moving themed rides and themed roller coasters than your standard run-of-the-mill Cedar Point/Six Flags variety.*

Wow. You are 17? I had you pegged for far older! You show much wisdom in your posts.

And know that you are NOT hated by every member here. No way.

I will join you and add something else. It's not just CP that has added to the criticism of wood coasters as being rough. It's a coaster company by the name of B and M. Most who have grown up on B and M's wonders (and they are, especially the earlier ones), expect wood to be glass smooth. When it isn't, they are upset.

I often wonder what most people who post here would think of the Coney Island Cyclone, for example. I bet that they would consider it rough and in serious need of being made glass smooth like every B and M.

Somehow, I don't see Cedar Fair keeping up even the minimal levels of theming in the Paramount Parks over time. I hope I am wrong, but I guess time will tell.

...But as for thrill rides, I'd take Universal and Disney's lot over Cedar Point just because I'm more interested in the story and theming of rides.

I couldn't agree with you more...the "back story" and a ride's themeing are really what make the experience for me. I love a big, fast coaster like anyone else, but when it's combined with a good story, it really completes the experience for me.

I'll echo Interpreter's surprise that you are only 17! You express yourself so well I also figured you were considerably older. It's nice to read something from a teenager that is well thought and well written. Those are the kind of skills that can take you far in life!

Honestly, Kings Island does the same thing. People had to wait in line to meet Patrick and Spongebob at WinterFest. I know, I was there. It gives everyone the equal chance to get in line. Otherwise, with the massive crowds these days, and spoiled parents ( notice not spoiled children ) these people in the costumes would be trampled by crowds. Disney does this to produce fanbase, and crowd control. It is a period of time when crowds will temporarily be brought away from the rides to meet the characters. And this creates shorter ride times for everyone else.

Besides, Disney will release some characters in designated areas during certain times of the day. Usually during the early morning hours. I come on this website quite frequently because I am interested in seeing what Cedar Fair does with Kings Island. But I am sitting, right now, on Avalon Rd. right down the road from............Walt Disney World...........This is where I live. Walt Disney's Animal Kingdom is where am employed. I am a keeper at the park. So I most certainly have to defend Disney World. I am however going to visit Ohio between the 28 and the 31st of July. And I am going to compare driving in and out of Animal Kingdom every day, with the setup of Kings Island. Granted it is easier to get in and out of Kings Island, but if they were to recieve the crowds at DisneyWorld, would their system even hold a candle to traffic flow?

I think that the parking at all of the Disney parks is very good for how many people they have to handle. As soon as one tram leaves, one is right behind the other. This is crucial during the closing of the parks when everyone is trying to leave. And its just as easy to leave Disney itself with the crowds high as they pretty much have their own highway lol.

Its a shame you had such a bad time at Disney, at least they had trams running from the parking lot.

I agree with RingMaster and others, I prefer well themed attractions and thrill rides. That is why I love TRTR, Italian Job, Wild Thornberry's, etc... Universal and IOA is great. Good thrill rides, family rides, food, landscaping, theming all in one package. That is why I have been such a supporter of KI staying a themed park with themed rides over a Cedar Point experience. I have been to Cedar Point, great location on the lake, great coasters, but the park overall feels like a concrete jungle with some steel.

Side note: I have small children and they enjoying just going through the pre-show for TRTR, even though they can't ride the ride yet. TRTR pre-show theming is as good or better than Mummy's.

Side note: I have small children and they enjoying just going through the pre-show for TRTR, even though they can't ride the ride yet. TRTR pre-show theming is as good or better than Mummy's.

Comparing the themeing of the queue lines and preshow I would agree with you on that point... However, the themeing of the ride experience itself the Mummy definitely wins (in my book) hands down. (I think the "fire ceiling" in the Mummy is worth the ride time by itself. smile.gif )

Comparing the themeing of the queue lines and preshow I would agree with you on that point... However, the themeing of the ride experience itself the Mummy definitely wins (in my book) hands down. (I think the "fire ceiling" in the Mummy is worth the ride time by itself. smile.gif )

I agree, the pre-show, line is better for TRTR but the ride goes to Mummy.

You know the one thing that Universal does very well, they have great child swap locations. A lot of people don't even know were they are at, but they are really well done. Dudley Do-Right has a great waiting room near the exit of the ride that has kids play toys on the walls, changing station and its air conditioned. If you are parents and want to ride some of the big rides Universal and IOA has the child swap program covered the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Your all going to disagree with me and thats fight this is about opinions.

You guys talk about themes and stuff... but for what? It's a 2 minute ride way waist the time of putting something to that?

If you want themes, look at the holidays. You want a scay theme? Go to a haunted house. If you want a christmas/joy theme go to the beach, if you want a story go read a book.

When I go to a park, I want to be high, I want to go fast, I want new and interesting track designs, I want to go upside down, overall I want excitement.

The older people and the younger usually like the slow themed rides because they can't handle the big ones. Tough luck ok? Don't spoil it for the rest of us, CP deserves best park award, they have excitement, they have joy, they have wet-rides, they have a kid-park.

I'm not saying all old people can't handle the rides, I'm speaking from personal experience. My parents don't do the rides that go upside down because they get sick. People my parents work with don't go to ki b/c they hurt there backs on the rides really easy.

And yes I know some people between the ages of 12-50 like themed stuff too I'm not saying they don't.. well you get my point I'm one ranting.

And hey thats me for you, I deal with it so I'm sure you can too haha.

The older people and the younger usually like the slow themed rides because they can't handle the big ones. Tough luck ok? Don't spoil it for the rest of us, CP deserves best park award, they have excitement, they have joy, they have wet-rides, they have a kid-park.

This is why you dont have a future in marketing (well maybe in CF's with that attitude) Tough luck? Why cant it be fun for the whole family? I bet youll be saying otherwise when your older and cant handle the intense rides and want something nice to do with your kids. In some cases, the theme can be jsut exciting as the ride, PKI didnt always do a good job of this in some cases but did do it well in other cases. CP gets best park award because of other things they do, not jsut cause they break records, they have an extremely clean park with an extremely disciplined staff among other many things and ammenities. Theres another reason why parks are geared towards families....they bring in the money. PKI has had attendance boosts and profit increases even amongst their budget cuts because they build family rides and expand kids areas and this year they're doing better than ever. Just ask the interpreter who pointed out a 33% increase in profits according to forbes. CP has suffered in attendance lately because they seem to be ignoring the family aspect. This is why KI suceeds, they offer something for everyone. A massive kids area, and lots of thrills. They have the perfect mix and they succeed. You will soon see that CP cant keep gearing themselves towards thrill seekers, because its already been proven it doesnt work. Look at SFMM, it has more coasters than any park, and has a lot of thrills, they even added tatsu this year. An insanely large flying coaster. They get a new big coaster almost every 2 years. Yet, every year it suffers attendance drops and losees and now its for sale. Six Flags has realized they cant keep using the "buy a new park and give it a B&M" attitude. It doesnt work, thats why shapiro has now geared SF towards familys and its working. Families, something for everyone, its what parks were intended for and its what works for parks from a guest satisfaction and business standpoint. Its all plain to the eye to see.

Why can't it be fun for the whole family? I never said that, I sad CP deserves to be number 1, also because they have the kiddy park but don'tt focus on that. You guys whine about all of the theming and pki needs more theming, etc.. its overkill. I'm not saying a theme is completely a bad thing, but since most parks are aimed for the locals to keep coming back and keep coming back do you want to bore them with the same theme? What do you get out of theming a ride? A far-away visitor to be happy.. yes, but boring the locals. You guys are the locals and most of you are bored with pki's theme and think they need an increase on theming, and need to maintain there themes, don't you think the people who have other themed parks are saying the same things about their parks? of course they are! It's like your in a bubble. I'm not saying the theme can't beas exciting as the ride.. but most cases it isn't. Disney World and Universal are the only parks that succeed in that, and you want KI to continue with it's theming, when it isn't that great?

Combat read my entire post, your so angry, and only take the things you disagree with and ignore the rest of my post. Read why I said CP deserves the best park award.. I have trouble taking you seriously because the only time I ever see you post is to tear some elses post up. Disagree if you want, check your post history. k? I'm not saying you don't bring up good points, because you do, but you only focus on the bad. I'm serious check out your post history here http://www.pkicentral.com/forums/index.php...sult_type=posts

Your right its geared for money, because kids and parents spend more on merchandise and food, but who goes more often? People who have the love for speed and thrills. Who returns every week, month, year.. usually people who love speed and thrills. I don't know any parent-child who can go every week or month because parents work, kids gotta be baby-sat, but teenagers come back week after week. If they had more thrill rides, the teenager numbers would go even more up and up.

CP has suffered lately because it's hard to get there from all ways too. It's all farmland out there, many people have to travel far. Plus its basically on the lake, so people north have to drive around and since top thrill dragster came out on May 4, 2003 I believe. Think about that.

I'm not saying all parks got to be thrill-packed parks, yes we need theme-parks too, but you guys want every single park to be a theme park. Your all ripping on CP because it is not a what? A theme park.

The reason those parks attendance drops in 2 years is because the locals are bored. Why do you think they redid the water park and Hanna-Barbara land? Because people got bored, so it works both ways because many of those parks still make more than paramount parks correct? PKI atendence is fair this year, you would think alot mre because of the new NU and the fairly new BB don't you think? I remember waiting for 45 minutes to get on each ride, now I can usually just walk on the rides. Look at dropzone and face/of, they use to have long- censored.gif waits, but now it basically is walk-ons.. why is that? Because they haven't put in a new roller coaster in awhile.

So you can say its one way, while others can say its the other. I'm not saying they should scrap NU altogether at all and you kind of twisted my post to say that, but I do think they shouldn't be waisting money on theming rides like Tomb Raider and the italian job... people don't really care for those themes, and they cost alot of money. Although you said PKI is doing better this year, they spent alot of money this year, alot of money on TR, alot of money on IJ:ST when it wasn't needed exactly. NU needed the update because kids don't watch it anymore.. but the TR, and IJ:ST spent so much money on it, and did the crowd get larger? Maybe. But would they of been just as large w/o those themes? Most likely. Look at drop zone and Son of Beast, they don't have a theme and peope love them. Why bother adding a theme to something people will already like and won't not come because it isn't themed?

This is the reason why I'm scared of Cedar Fair and their mentality towards Cedar Point. It is eerily similar to Six Flags and their mentality towards Magic Mountain as MM was, in a sense, their flagship park. Both parks have added major coasters every two years, I believe, with the exception of this year, as CP is preparing for a new coaster in 2007:

2000:

-Millenium Force (CP)

-Goliath (MM)

2002:

-Wicked Twister? (CP)

-X/Deja Vu (MM)

2003:

-Scream (MM)

2004:

-Top Thrill Dragster (CP)

2006:

-TATSU (MM)

But, unfortunately, extreme debt and severe drops in attendence has caused SF to put it up for sale. Just like Combat said, CP's suffering a slight attendance drop over Kings Island, and I've even done research and found out that CP's water park has received a drop in attendance the past two years over Great Wolf Lodge's indoor water park.

Ten years ago, yeah, it was all about higher, faster, bigger, and better. But, I believe, 1999 changed all of that. Three words can explain what I mean:

Islands....of....Adventure.

The perfect blend of high-speed thrill rides (HULK, Dueling Dragons, Dr. Doom's Fearfall) and groundbreaking themed attractions (Spiderman, Poseidon's Fury, Cat in the Hat, Ripsaw Falls) is what caused the gigantic switch from just thrill-seekers to almost just families. Disney, even, is keeping a close eye on their "thrill rides" so that they're not too intense so that it'll only appeal to one particular audience (Expedition: EVEREST, Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, California Screamin').

So what if it's a two-minute joyride? I had more fun going through an ancient Temple of the Forbidden Eye with a certain Indiana Jones, dodging spike traps, fire, and the occasional boulder in two minutes, than riding in a regular coaster car around a bunch of concrete for two minutes. And I only had to wait a little over an hour just to ride Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. It was a good two and a half hours to ride Millenium Force the day we went, just going back and forth in a boring line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, you'd be surprised just how many kids watch Nickelodeon. It's unheard of. And the reason for Hanna-Barbera Land's passing was due to their contract being up in 2009 or 2010. They HAD to change kiddie land, and it just so happened that Nick is a VERY popular franchise.

I see more families that come back to the park than I do thrill-seekers. And I've worked at the park for three years now (although there are those here who have worked longer, so I'll shut up on that part).

And, trust me, you would NOT want to ride Tomb Raider outside in the heat that we had today; the heat index was 105 degrees. And it would be a completely different experience for Flight of Fear if it was all outdoors.

Drop Zone and Face-Off have hour-long waits every day during the week (longer waits on the weekends).

....and that's all I got. Sorry for the big long post. I go bed time now. smile.gif

This is the reason why I'm scared of Cedar Fair and their mentality towards Cedar Point. It is eerily similar to Six Flags and their mentality towards Magic Mountain as MM was, in a sense, their flagship park. Both parks have added major coasters every two years, I believe, with the exception of this year, as CP is preparing for a new coaster in 2007:

2000:

-Millenium Force (CP)

-Goliath (MM)

2002:

-Wicked Twister? (CP)

-X/Deja Vu (MM)

2003:

-Scream (MM)

2004:

-Top Thrill Dragster (CP)

2006:

-TATSU (MM)

But, unfortunately, extreme debt and severe drops in attendence has caused SF to put it up for sale. Just like Combat said, CP's suffering a slight attendance drop over Kings Island, and I've even done research and found out that CP's water park has received a drop in attendance the past two years over Great Wolf Lodge's indoor water park.

Ten years ago, yeah, it was all about higher, faster, bigger, and better. But, I believe, 1999 changed all of that. Three words can explain what I mean:

Islands....of....Adventure.

The perfect blend of high-speed thrill rides (HULK, Dueling Dragons, Dr. Doom's Fearfall) and groundbreaking themed attractions (Spiderman, Poseidon's Fury, Cat in the Hat, Ripsaw Falls) is what caused the gigantic switch from just thrill-seekers to almost just families. Disney, even, is keeping a close eye on their "thrill rides" so that they're not too intense so that it'll only appeal to one particular audience (Expedition: EVEREST, Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, California Screamin').

So what if it's a two-minute joyride? I had more fun going through an ancient Temple of the Forbidden Eye with a certain Indiana Jones, dodging spike traps, fire, and the occasional boulder in two minutes, than riding in a regular coaster car around a bunch of concrete for two minutes. And I only had to wait a little over an hour just to ride Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. It was a good two and a half hours to ride Millenium Force the day we went, just going back and forth in a boring line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, you'd be surprised just how many kids watch Nickelodeon. It's unheard of. And the reason for Hanna-Barbera Land's passing was due to their contract being up in 2009 or 2010. They HAD to change kiddie land, and it just so happened that Nick is a VERY popular franchise.

I see more families that come back to the park than I do thrill-seekers. And I've worked at the park for three years now (although there are those here who have worked longer, so I'll shut up on that part).

And, trust me, you would NOT want to ride Tomb Raider outside in the heat that we had today; the heat index was 105 degrees. And it would be a completely different experience for Flight of Fear if it was all outdoors.

Drop Zone and Face-Off have hour-long waits every day during the week (longer waits on the weekends).

....and that's all I got. Sorry for the big long post. I go bed time now. smile.gif

See I respect your honest and respectable opinion, not just attacks, thats all I was asking for.

I'm not saying Tomb Raider should be outside, I think the lighting and stuff in the building is really cool, but seeing all those statues to me at least, looks like money that could of went to building the next ride, or putting money towards its next event being fearfest or winterfest.

I'm not saying no parks should have theme, but it shouldn't be so controversial, you guys were tearing on CP because its only thrills, but were loving on Disney because it was only theme.. someones gotta stick up for CP haha. I personally don't think they should mix because when they do you get KI. KI is a good park, please don't misunderstand me there, but its an unequal balance of theme and thrill I can't tell what they are going for and it bugs me. They do something like Tomb Raider, and something like the Son of Beast. One completely themed, and one not themed at all.

When you walk into Action Zone do you really feel like you in an action spot? I just know that the bigger coasters are in the area.. not the theme.

I'll admit Coney Mall does have the Coney park feeling going on there, but waterworks doesn't have the theme that well.. and NU is fair, but they got Scooby Doo which is a weird look around when your seeing the Fairly Odd Coaster from the line haha.. it's not themed in a good pattern.. but thats just MY opinion, we all have our own.

I admit I did try and state a few facts(wether thet are true or not? not sure haha) in my previous post but thats just because I was mad and didn't form it in my opinion, so I do apologize for that.

See Ringmaster in your post you stated you wait an hour for Indiana Jones but 2 hours for Millenium force is that telling you something? See to me, its screaming people love the thrill, but idk maybe I'm just off in that accusation.

You said Dropzone and Face-off have an hour wait? The last 3 times I went(can't remember exact dates, but 2 were fridays, 1 thursday) and honest-to-God I waited 10 minutes tops for Face Off, and we literally walked on dropzone all 3 times. Dropzone we didn't even get back in line, and this was at like 1pm, and then again at 7 pm.

Ya know, I don't understand why we can't like Cedar Point and Disney. I love big thrills and I love a good theme, but they don't have to be together. It's the experience that counts, as long as you have a good time, it shouldn't matter if it's themed or not. I love Cedar Point, PKI and Disney. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that.

--Pkirocker77