Me and so many others want King Cobra back!

beastrider5334

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved King Cobra but.....

Its gone and in the past.

Forget about the ride because it is never coming back.

If you miss the ride so much go down to PKD and ride the ride there.

As PKIVortex said, SkyRider at PCWo is a much more faithful rendition than is Shockwave at PKD. And, except for being in Canada, from Cinci, PCWo is actually about the same distance away as PKD is!

Mantis and Chang are near clones?

I'll have whatever you are smoking! smile.gif

I can tolerate, and in fact sometimes even like Chang....but Mantis?

Sigh!

The first half of each ride is identicle. After the midcourse, they both drop into a corkscrew, and thats where they start going in different directions. Mantis goes in a figure 8ish speghetti bowl, and Chang gets another corkscrew. Thats really the only difference though...

As for tolerating them, keep in mind that they're run by SF and CF. Two completely different companies known for running their rides differently...

Since some of you say that the reason KI took down King Cobra was that there werent any parts, think about this. Paramount Parks STILL OPERATES TO THIS DAY two other TOGO stand up coasters. There are even TOGO stand ups that have been operating longer then King Cobra did!

Where did all of these rumors come from about the steel being low grade? If there was even a HINT that the steel was sub-par wouldnt you think that Kings Island managment at the time would of seen that? Why did it take them from 1984 to 2002, 18 years, to notice this?

King Cobra was demolished because the park did not want it anymore. I dont see how people can say that the problem was lack of parts when there are exact clones still running. (Star Jet and Skyrider)

King Cobra can be 'revived' but it would take a good ammount of work to make it possible. I estimated this at one time. Here it is:

Well lets see, our average steel coaster this day is about...15 million.

The track length is about 2219'.

Supports are very minimal on it, even in the helix which is pretty fast.

Now lets say you had somebody come in and buffer all the rust off of the track and rehab it. I'de say that could be a few million, Cost: 3 Million (which could be a big overstatement but just from what I'de guess) (for the track and supports)

New Paint job: Cost: 1.5 million

Footers and necessities (loading ramps ETC): How I remember the station was layed out, you entered from just about where the op building for duhlee is now, went under the lift, made a right turn, que gates, about 5 rows, then went up a ramp to the back of the station (where the last car in the train would be). The operators booth was ABOVE the track. Cost: 1 Million

Train Rehab: Maybe some foam or somthing, fix minor paint chips. Cost: Minimal, not counted.

So what are we to? 5.5 million for repairs and to put the ride back up, and 6.5 if a park bought the ride. Now if a park say in China bought it, you have to count in shipping costs and such, but it all depends on where the park is.

Where did all of these rumors come from about the steel being low grade?

The steel was not sub par but did not have the life expectancy that was hoped for. Around 1999 was when the maintenace teams first started noticing how quickly it was deterirating, no ones safety was in jeopardy, but soon routine maintenace items started developing and happening more quickly to the point where the coaster was down more than it was up and it was becoming too costly to fix. The steel used on the other two American togo stand ups is a different grade and they have held up longer, King Cobra was demolished to rising maintenace costs and how quickly it was aging. King Cobra is not coming back and can never come back.

Where did all of these rumors come from about the steel being low grade?

The steel was not sub par but did not have the life expectancy that was hoped for. Around 1999 was when the maintenace teams first started noticing how quickly it was deterirating, no ones safety was in jeopardy, but soon routine maintenace items started developing and happening more quickly to the point where the coaster was down more than it was up and it was becoming too costly to fix. The steel used on the other two American togo stand ups is a different grade and they have held up longer, King Cobra was demolished to rising maintenace costs and how quickly it was aging. King Cobra is not coming back and can never come back.

Source Please.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kwindshawne

I liked KC-only got to ride it maybe 3 times before I left the state, however, I remember the back train sliding off the track at one point-that would have been scary. I don't think anyone got hurt, I just remember this ride being hard on the knees-or maybe it's just me?

Guest kwindshawne

King Cobra holds a special face in my heart. It was my dad's all-time favorite coaster at Kings Island... it was the first one we had to ride together every year, and then we would go back and ride it two or three times during the day. He loved the little 'bunny bumps' at the end, and swore those were more fun than the loops and drops. When my dad passed away four years ago, I went to Kings Island just a couple weeks later and made a beeline for the Cobra with the mind set to ride it for him, I was shocked to find it gone... I actually cried... I miss that ride more than any other former ride there.

That is so sad-makes me want to cry........

It is gone. Probably better off for it. However, an idea for a new ride would be a stand up. It is an interesting experience. From what i can remember from the KC, it wasn't that spectacular. Bering in mind, it was the first stand-up. Today, a much better design could be made.

^Wow! How insightful! rolleyes.gif

Sorry folks, I liked King Kobra, but I love Mantis. King Kobra was neat in that it was the first stand-up coaster for me, but, after riding Mantis, I never rode it again. Well, I did ride it once becuase I was with my girlfriend and she had never been on it. I would like to see another stand-up at KI. However, those coasters seem to be a thing of the past. There hasn't been one built in years. I believe that combatstupendous told me that the Georgia Scorcher at SFOG was the last to be built. Either him or Interpreter one. They are both very knowledgeable on the industry and KI.