More on How Cedar Fair Does Things

The Interpreter

From an email received from Cedar Point just now:

Coaster riders are screaming, children are laughing at Camp Snoopy and Cedar Point's great live shows are in full swing. But now that we're heading into the last full week of July, it's time to remember that the shows will begin closing on August 20th.

That's the last day for the lovely ladies of "Divine Divas" in the Palace Theatre, the amazing high-divers of "Extreme Splash 2006" in the Aquatic Stadium, the joyous "Livin' in America" at the Centennial Theatre and the amazing nighttime show "Hot Summer Lights." Plan your last rounds of show-hopping with the show schedules available online.

So, the shows, such as they are, close that early up there.

I still think before it is over, many are going to look back on the Paramount (but not the CBS) days of Kings Island as the good old days.

From an email received from Cedar Point just now:

Coaster riders are screaming, children are laughing at Camp Snoopy and Cedar Point's great live shows are in full swing. But now that we're heading into the last full week of July, it's time to remember that the shows will begin closing on August 20th.

That's the last day for the lovely ladies of "Divine Divas" in the Palace Theatre, the amazing high-divers of "Extreme Splash 2006" in the Aquatic Stadium, the joyous "Livin' in America" at the Centennial Theatre and the amazing nighttime show "Hot Summer Lights." Plan your last rounds of show-hopping with the show schedules available online.

So, the shows, such as they are, close that early up there.

I still think before it is over, many are going to look back on the Paramount (but not the CBS) days of Kings Island as the good old days.

And Never Opened at PKI.

Not true.

Under CBS, yes shows were greatly reduced.

But the typical Paramount show put the typical Cedar Point show to shame.

Now, I know, Woofer, you would compare the old Kings Island shows. The fact of the matter is, that with the exception of Busch, Dollywood and Branson, Disney and about two of the Six Flags parks, no one else puts on those kinds of shows in theme parks today.

When did YOU last see a show at Cedar Point or any other Cedar Fair park? I think you have no idea just how almost incomparably bad they are. . .

Example? The Lumberjack Show, as seen at Geauga or Kings Island this year.

World class entertainment? I think not.

The last 4 times I have been to KI this year there HAVE NOT been a show open! To me, shows should open daily (except Mondays)... have times when people are more likely to go... and PLEASE have more than ONE show! KI has 5 places to hold shows... USE ALL OF THEM! Timberwolf, Paramount Theatre (might change to Centennial Theatre), International Street Bandstand, International Showplace, and the small theatre next to SDATHC... is it still in use at all? Just my thoughts! -Hauntguy

I have not been to Cedar Point for years.

I normally only get to Ohio a couple times a year and I would prefer to visit home (KI) than to go to Cedar Point. Ya gotta understand that I had spent a good portion of my life at KI and that it's just like home to me.

And you're right. I tend to think that the Busch parks and Dollywood are the example of what shows should be like in the park.

I honestly would not put Disney in that catagory as their shows are completely canned. I really don't see much skill in lip synch to a sound track.

Uhh, Cedar Point keeps winning awards for their shows, and Cedar Fair is a much better company than Paramount Parks EVER was, at least after 1999.

Oh, and most shows are lip synched. School of Rock and Tuned In are the two shows I can think of that DON'T use lipsynching.

Most shows at Busch and Dollywood are not lip synched.

KECO shows that had very involved dance sequences had portions lip synched but most were live.

Why do a lot of the CP shows end in mid-late August? Attendance and staffing. Many students and kids are returning to school - including the park's own employees. The park may remain open daily until Labor Day, but I'm sure staffing and operations are reduced. Shows are more like dessert, but the rides are CP's bread and butter, especially on these days.

Of course, live entertainment does pick up again in a month or so with HalloWeekends.

Yeah, let's review the Live Shows page at pki.com

http://www3.paramountparks.com/kingsisland...ry.cfm?ac_id=17

Let's see you have School of Rock which didn't open for the season until June 3rd, according to the park guide it is dark on Tuesdays, and I would not be surprised if it closes down on or before Labor Day Weekend.

PKI's other 'live show' s a karaoke show, which doesn't really count unless you like laughing at people totally ruining good songs.

Not to mention the same cast from School of Rock must have been somehow involved in the Nick Parade, because after the Nick Parade ended on July 9, School of Rock sported a new 5:30 showing.

So, in response to the original poster, yes Cedar Fair sends out guest friendly emails to its customers telling them when the live show season ends at the Point. I'll be waiting for my PKI email informing me when School of Rock ends. If Cedar Fair mounts live shows in Paramount Theater, International Showplace, Back Porch Stage, Enchanted Theater, Nick Slime Bowl and the Bandstand I think the park will be better off for it, even if the quality of the individual shows goes down a bit. Time the showings where a person going to the park to see the shows can have a full days worth of entertainment, and you are set.

P.S. I also find it interesting that since the announcement that Cedar Fair is taking over, two concerts have been booked into Timberwolf for August. Could we be seeing the return of a real concert series to Timberwolf as well?

The last 4 times I have been to KI this year there HAVE NOT been a show open! To me, shows should open daily (except Mondays)... have times when people are more likely to go... and PLEASE have more than ONE show! KI has 5 places to hold shows... USE ALL OF THEM! Timberwolf, Paramount Theatre (might change to Centennial Theatre), International Street Bandstand, International Showplace, and the small theatre next to SDATHC... is it still in use at all? Just my thoughts! -Hauntguy

Actually seven theaters. You forgot about the Backstage Porch in Rivertown and the Nickelodeon Theater.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

Actually seven theaters. You forgot about the Backstage Porch in Rivertown and the Nickelodeon Theater.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

And Festhaus. And a stage could be put back into Wings/Columbia Palace.

Years ago (and I do mean years) KI had wonderful shows. I just returned from a 2 day visit to KI, and was I disappointed. IThey only offered one show (Star Search doesn't count). I didn't make it to School of Rock (4 year old son not interested). That was it. What about a show featuring all of the Nick characters? They need more entertainment at KI!!!

Years ago (and I do mean years) KI had wonderful shows. I just returned from a 2 day visit to KI, and was I disappointed. IThey only offered one show (Star Search doesn't count). I didn't make it to School of Rock (4 year old son not interested). That was it. What about a show featuring all of the Nick characters? They need more entertainment at KI!!!

Yeah

Remember that there used to be one show with all the HB characters in International Showplace.

That with a Pop show and a Country Show in the Showplace.

Now it sits empty.

i was in a few live shows thruout the mid to late 90's, but now even nickelodeon stage was gutted and filled in with concrete, what a shame. i also realize alot of people here go for the rides but the shows are just as much as the atmosphere, hopefully cf brings them back..... and yes alot of the same cast and crew of HOR was in the nick parade, this shows how much pki cut back on the entertainment department.....back in 95 and 96 when they had house of groove and retro repeat the beat at international showplace, when the shows were going you could here it all over and it was great it was out in the open air....

i was in a few live shows thruout the mid to late 90's, but now even nickelodeon stage was gutted and filled in with concrete, what a shame. i also realize alot of people here go for the rides but the shows are just as much as the atmosphere, hopefully cf brings them back..... and yes alot of the same cast and crew of HOR was in the nick parade, this shows how much pki cut back on the entertainment department.....back in 95 and 96 when they had house of groove and retro repeat the beat at international showplace, when the shows were going you could here it all over and it was great it was out in the open air....

Oh yeah.

You could actually hear shows at International Showplace echo over Rivertown LaRosa's.

Just was a magical feel when you would hear the announcements for the shows and then 30 minutes later! Live Music Being Played!

back in the day they wouldnt hardly think of interchanging the preformers in different shows.....it makes me wonder if the pending sale of the park is why they did this......when rumors started flying about the park selling that wasnt the first, paramount has known this for a long time now.....they didnt wake up one morning and say "hey lets sell the park".....its been in the works for a long time....when i was a little kid, we would go to the park and my main interest was the rides...but my parents always dragged us into the shows with us kicking our feet....but once in we were amazed. it was a different world.....kinda ironic i ended up in the entertainment field with pki and other places....lol.......the preformers do alot of work to get ready for the shows in the off season....when they cut back the budget they cut back on the integrity of the park.... a theme park consistes of rides , foods, merchandise and live shows...

back in the day they wouldnt hardly think of interchanging the preformers in different shows.....it makes me wonder if the pending sale of the park is why they did this......when rumors started flying about the park selling that wasnt the first, paramount has known this for a long time now.....they didnt wake up one morning and say "hey lets sell the park".....its been in the works for a long time....when i was a little kid, we would go to the park and my main interest was the rides...but my parents always dragged us into the shows with us kicking our feet....but once in we were amazed. it was a different world.....kinda ironic i ended up in the entertainment field with pki and other places....lol.......the preformers do alot of work to get ready for the shows in the off season....when they cut back the budget they cut back on the integrity of the park.... a theme park consistes of rides , foods, merchandise and live shows...

Well,

It used to be that there would be people from various shows that were able to Understudy for other shows that were playing.

Remember, at any given time they would have 10 to 12 different shows going on through the park in a given day.

All Cedar Fair seems to worry about most is Cedar Fair. When they send a news letter they always talk about something at Cedar Point. I will miss the good old days of PKI, it will be different next year. We all know Cedar Fair will keep Cedar Point the star park.

Who can blame them? Cedar Point has always been their flagship park and will continue to be. And rightly so - it is an AWESOME park - way better than Kings Island... I guess it sucks for the PKI Fanboys though, eh Captain Nemo? laugh.gif

thats true but each show has several performers that would understudy for thier particular show. when i was there we ran the shows 7 days a week and you rotated parts on each day.... then in july we would have a mental health day where the show would go dark to give everyone a day off besides your one day a week off and usually we would go on a trip , camping or otherwise......i can recall twice where someone would quit and someone for another show would come in and rehearse for a couple of weeks then go in.....those were the good ole days and i made alot of lasting relationships from those days. Kings Island and paramount Kings Island have opened the dooor for alot of the preformers in the past and they moved on to greater things, and chances are they might not have made it any further in thier career as an entertainer.... such as carmen electra, she made her start at Kings Island.....

All Cedar Fair seems to worry about most is Cedar Fair. When they send a news letter they always talk about something at Cedar Point. I will miss the good old days of PKI, it will be different next year. We all know Cedar Fair will keep Cedar Point the star park.

thats right... its a business so yes they would only promote thier own business... but we cant condem then for that....i dont ever think pki will ever be a flagship for Cedar Fair.....i too miss the ole days at Kings Island before paramount took over....but those days are long gone, i guess we have to look to the future

thats true but each show has several performers that would understudy for thier particular show. when i was there we ran the shows 7 days a week and you rotated parts on each day.... then in july we would have a mental health day where the show would go dark to give everyone a day off besides your one day a week off and usually we would go on a trip , camping or otherwise......i can recall twice where someone would quit and someone for another show would come in and rehearse for a couple of weeks then go in.....those were the good ole days and i made alot of lasting relationships from those days. Kings Island and paramount Kings Island have opened the dooor for alot of the preformers in the past and they moved on to greater things, and chances are they might not have made it any further in thier career as an entertainer.... such as carmen electra, she made her start at Kings Island.....

I remember when they would do dry run's and refersals at International showplace before the park opened and after it closed.

They'd work on getting the blocking (? - correct term?) done and have the routines worked out.

I'd go watch them practice new routines at Festhaus some times as well.

When I was there, each show would be dark one day a week. But even at that there would still be entertainment at every turn.

LOL, now they go dark for one day and there is NO Entertainment!

Why cant they just make an amusement park just for thrill seekers with no kiddie rides. And another park just the little people. KI has been disapointing since the got that Nick Central. Their last thrill was in 03. KI has not got a best park golden ticket. All KI have is a golden ticket for best kids area. Look at CP they had the golden ticket award for best park since I think 99 or 00.