Photo TR: Cedar Point 7/22/2006

TheKlockster

Well I headed up to Cedar Point with my boss from work - and some people from his church group. The park was really crowded - but I still had alot of fun. I got one new-to-me coaster: Mantis. It was MUCH better than Chang. I only rode it once - but I would definately ride it again - unlike Chang. Got on Magnum right after some downtime - so I didn't have to wait long for it. Magnum is still an awesome ride!

I met up with my friend Brian on his break. He said that Cedar Point is alot better than Holiday World - and he has spent a LOT of time at both - so its not just my opinion. laugh.gif

Waited 1.25 hours for an awesome ride in the back seat of Raptor. Then I got two rides on Gemini. That is about all I got to ride - cause of the crowds - but I still had a fantastic time. The weather was great - and it was just alot of fun in general. I can't wait to go back! biggrin.gif

user posted image

Cedar Point - 30 mile!

user posted image

Group Discount!

user posted image

Mantis - my number 39 - and great ride!

user posted image

Lake Erie took a dump on the park.

user posted image

maXair was sooo much better than Delirium!

user posted image

Brian at the Demon Drop!

user posted image

1.25 hour line for Raptor - but well worth the wait!

user posted image

I know - I'm a dork.

user posted image

New for 2007

user posted image

The speed roll is my favorite inversion!

user posted image

Iron Dragon got evacuated.

user posted image

Goodbye Cedar Point! Thanks for a GREAT day - and I can't wait to return. BEST PARK EVER!

If KI gets CP-like uniforms next year - the Smurfs will indeed return...

They get blue shorts and a red and blue shirt. If it is cold they get a blue jogging suit thing to wear over it. Shirts and shorts are assigned to you by the park.

I can't wait to get back up there. Things I have yet to ride:

Wildcat

Woodstock Express

Wicked Twister

Millennium Force

Top Thrill Dragster

Skyhawk

Skyride

Sprial Tower

Giant Wheel

Paddlewheel

Monster

That spinny ride you can see if you look up while inverted in the Raptor Cobra roll - in front of Blue Streak

I think each of those experiences are grand, but I see each topped by something else elsewhere, and grandly:

Steel Venom (Geauga Lake)

Superman: The Ride (Six Flags New England)

Kingda Ka (Six Flags Great Adventure)

In fact, with the exception of Raptor and Magnum, I think every ride at Cedar Point has a better analogue somewhere else, or at least the same ride duplicated elsewhere. What's grand about Cedar Point is that all those wonderful rides (or near wonderful rides) are all at the same place in one little peninsula in Ohio. I have to agree with the park's self description: America's Roller Coast.

Now, the question is what will Cedar Fair develop Kings Island in to over time. As was wisely pointed out earlier today in the Winterfest thread, ironically, at first Paramount took Kings Island AWAY from a more family oriented direction (Where the Magic of the Movies Meets The Thrills of a Lifetime...Where All the Thrills Are Paramount). Then they tried to go back to where they came from, but they didn't go very far in that direction before the sale.

What now? And how will it affect Cedar Point (especially now, too, that Six Flags Magic Mountain is no longer a psychological competitor for America's coaster attention)?

I know all the PKI thrillseeking fans would like to see it become another park like Cedar Point - but I think they will keep it mostly family oriented - and add a high thrill ride here and there.

And Cedar Point is definately "America's Rockin Roller Coast"! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Wonder what Kings Island's slogan will be?

Oh - on another note - I wanted to buy a pin - and I got a Raptor pin - but I noticed in the shop where I got it - they sold pins for Valleyfair!, Worlds of Fun and Dorney Park.

I can't wait to get back up there. Things I have yet to ride:

Wildcat

Woodstock Express

Wicked Twister

Millennium Force

Top Thrill Dragster

Skyhawk

Skyride

Sprial Tower

Giant Wheel

Paddlewheel

Monster

That spinny ride you can see if you look up while inverted in the Raptor Cobra roll - in front of Blue Streak

You've been to CP a couple times now, right? What the heck do you do up there? LOL. That a lot of rides not to have been on after multiple trips. I usually try to hit every coaster and some flats on my one-day trips there.

I have to admit though, I've been going since 1996 and I still have yet to ride the Spiral Tower. It just never seemed like it would be that fun. At least not as cool as KI's tower. And Woodstock Express and Jr. Gemini I'll never ride since I'm not really into the kiddie coasters and don't add them to my counts even when I go on them with a nephew or something.

And you have to ride Millenium Force. It's my favorite coaster (maybe until I ride the Voyage, that is, but we'll see.)

I can't ride Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster or Wicked Twister yet - although I am closer to riding them on this past trip than I was on opening day. I can ride any ride at Kings Island - but don't fit on those three. As far as the others - I just didn't have time. Both times I went up were Saturdays. Opening Day, and last Saturday. So Crowds were heavy both days.

My favorite time to visit CP is late August...usually the week before Labor Day. Most of the local schools are back in session, the peak vacation season is over, crowds are small, yet the park is still in daily operation. The package deals that time of year are great! Two nights at the Breakers, Starlight & full day admission for two, four tickets to Challenge Park, and $30 in "Munch Money" all for less than $400! Whatta deal! smile.gif

maXair has a different ride cycle( I believe) and the view is so much better. I have to disagree about Steel Venom being better than Wicked Twister. The holding break is unreliable and does not work all the time. As for Kingda Ka, I take Dragster, because the lapbar is less restrictive and TTD is more reliable.

maXair has a different ride cycle( I believe) and the view is so much better. I have to disagree about Steel Venom being better than Wicked Twister. The holding break is unreliable and does not work all the time. As for Kingda Ka, I take Dragster, because the lapbar is less restrictive and TTD is more reliable.

Have you RIDDEN Kingda Ka?

Most of us who have think the OTSR is actually LESS, not more restrictive. And neither ride has been a paragon of reliability, to put it mildly.