Cleaning up the park.

PKIVortex

What amazes me is just how clean the bathrooms really are at Six Flags.

As high volume as each of the locations are, you would think that there would at least be paper towls on the floor every once in a while.

To date this year, I've not seen one messy Six Flags bathroom.

I also noticed more presence of employees in the restrooms cleaning them (aside from the few employees that decided to take breaks and chat with other employees in the restrooms, then again as humid as it was I can see a few breaks in some shade now and again).

Yeah, we're trying to do our very best here in Ecology; so far, yesterday was our busiest day for Eco (peaked at 49,306, I believe). Trust me, working ALL DAY from 10am to 11pm in both the water park and Action Zone/Int. Street was not fun to say the least, especially when certain restricitions from upper management are beginning to screw a majority of us over. mad.gif

Cedar Fair had announced a while back to us that our Ecology Department was the best in the business, and I believe that we are the best in the business ever since I started in 2004. Unfortunately, big men on campus (not Cedar Fair execs, mind you) are now complaining about too many people going on break at the same time (regardless of the fact that the people that are going on break together are in different areas), restroom associates walking together (also regardless of the fact that only one may have a restroom key and everyone is sweeping up trash on their way to the next restroom), and supervisors not being in their area enough (again, regardless of the fact that they have to take care of other duties, such as checking trash cans in the parking lot, supervisor meetings, assigning breaks/zones/areas to swings and closer associates). mad.gif

Like the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," we've had no problems whatsoever the past two years in Ecology (at least, not ones that I'm aware of). There's almost nothing that needs to be fixed with our department....aside from the occasional lazy workmate, but, then again, every department has to deal with those. But I can think of a few "other" things outside our department that need to be dealt with (*ahem* IJ:ST's onboard audio and headlights/tail lights, TR:TR's antechamber door and fog effects, some of FOF's lighting effects rolleyes.gif).

....thanks, donnie, that makes me feel so much better. huh.gif

When my sister worked for Kings Island in 1992, she had a very strict Dress Code.

She always had to have her hair a certain way, and her shirt had to be tucked in, and NO jewelry. When I first started to work at Kings Island, it was the same. No facial hair. Long hair had to be back. No jewelry. No cell phones. No Hair Dye.

The shirt still had to be tucked in, and they were a lot more strict about giving days off, and your schedules flexibility. And the talking amongst associates in view of the parks guests was completely intolerable. Associates were 100% required to walk behind the scenes whenever possible to get from place to place. And a major rule back then, was.......NO IMPROPER LANGUAGE. And associates were never supposed to ride any ride or purchase any food or merchandise while in uniform.

Now, the park is not strict on hair dye. And they are certainly not strict about language, at least not behind the scenes. They are no longer anal about jewelry or long hair. You see associates talking amongst themselves all of the time now , and associates very rarely only use behind the scenes ( associate only ) walkways. Cell phones are a constant now. I see associates riding rides and purchasing merchandise all of the time now in uniform. ( although I think that they are still not supposed to do this ) And I don't think that the facial hair rule has changed at all. And one good thing, the park is much more cooperative about allowing days off for associates than it used to be. vacation/days/hours off, etc. The park even advertised new benefits and dress codes at one point, in an attempt to gain more associates. ( Not that it is a bad thing or anything )

These are just some changes that I have noticed.

M.F.

Ialso noticed more pumping up of the riders on various rides to name a few Avatar, Delirium, Racer, and The Beast. I thought some of the rides looked to need fresh paint jobs which I figured was the next step, but the changes were drastically evident.

I completely agree on Avatar. I rode it for my first time, although it was in NU which probably payed a huge part on it, she got everyone excited made sure everyone was having fun, etc..

Haven't made it to the park this year due to back sugery but my biggest complaint on last years PKI customer satisfaction survey was how dirty the ride queue lines were. They needed pressure washed badly, guess I won't know until I'm able to return next year. sad.gif

Yeah, we're trying to do our very best here in Ecology; so far, yesterday was our busiest day for Eco (peaked at 49,306, I believe).

RingMaster, two-thirds of the way through the season, and the park has not broke 50,000 in a single day yet? Thats not good news this far into the season. You know, attendance, IMO, has been declining in recent years. Does the park even still have the super 50 bonus? Years ago they eliminated the 'power hour' from International Street. And we used to pretty much have a soft close every night of the week years ago. Now the stores and food stands are closed quickly. International Street used to be hopping that extra hour of the night. Guess PKI raised the prices so much that people are broke by the end of the day. Good way to save on labor though. Take their money early so they won't stay late, and send your associates home early!

Anyhow, you know I have a love/hate relationship with PKI, but it I am disappointed to hear that they have not had a 50,000 day yet, especially since the park is designed to hold 12,000 to 15,000 more above that number. Maybe the Cedar Fair folks with bring the guests back to the park.

Yeah, we're trying to do our very best here in Ecology; so far, yesterday was our busiest day for Eco (peaked at 49,306, I believe).

RingMaster, two-thirds of the way through the season, and the park has not broke 50,000 in a single day yet? Thats not good news this far into the season. You know, attendance, IMO, has been declining in recent years. Does the park even still have the super 50 bonus? Years ago they eliminated the 'power hour' from International Street. And we used to pretty much have a soft close every night of the week years ago. Now the stores and food stands are closed quickly. International Street used to be hopping that extra hour of the night. Guess PKI raised the prices so much that people are broke by the end of the day. Good way to save on labor though. Take their money early so they won't stay late, and send your associates home early!

Anyhow, you know I have a love/hate relationship with PKI, but it I am disappointed to hear that they have not had a 50,000 day yet, especially since the park is designed to hold 12,000 to 15,000 more above that number. Maybe the Cedar Fair folks with bring the guests back to the park.

It actually is not designed for that.

The park is designed to have maximum attendance on a given day between 46K and 49K.

And only that is with the addition of the water park.

When I was working at the park the Park Full signs would be placed out as the park went over 40K.

I am sure that I will make several of you upset about this- but I found KI to be dirty. We were there last week (first time back in over 15 years). It is not the park that it use to be. The restrooms were dirty- paper on the floor, toliets dirty, soap dripping- just gross. People were smoking all over the place, of course leaving smoke buds on the ground. Lots of painting needs to be done. Last year we went to Dollyworld and Disney World. Both parks were so much cleaner and the employees were so much friendlier. None of the employees in the Nick area showed any excitiment. It doesn't matter who is causing the clean up- KI or CF. It should never have gotten that dirty. There is no excuse for gum, smoke buds, chipped paint everywhere. If Disney can keep their parks clean- than KI should have no problem since so Disney has so many more guests.

The thing about Disney is that they have a LOT more funding than PKI. Ecology, I think you're doing a great job! I also have to compliment the ride ops. You guys are very enthusiastic! Some that stick out in my mind are Delirium, Face/Off Viking Fury, Racer & recaR, Beast, and Avatar. Those are from my last visit, (BAFFFD) and I did not ride as much as I usually do, but I bet a lot of you guys were doing a good job.

I'm not sure how much you all know about Cedar Fair. I've been reading these forums for a little bit, but I'm new.

I used to work at Cedar Point 2001 until this Past June. Well, actually I worked at Castaway Bay until June. Anyways. I must say I agree the restrooms at Cedar Point are and have always been terribly unhealthy and gross. I have thought PKI restrooms were the cleanest I have ever seem in a park, I have never visted a Six Flag park before. At the same time I have often found Kings Island to be one of the dirtiest parks I have ever visited. I did recently visted on July 20, I saw a complete 180. I agree it is the effect of Kings Island management, but I think it was probably caused by a memo from Dick Kinzel.

He always announces everything in the most politest ways and styles. I remember when CF bought Geauga Lake, everybody in the Full Time staff at CP was in shock because it was unexpected, and most if not all the staff (as I have heard) received a welcome to Cedar Fair memo of sorts just breifly explaining the company and it's values.

The company has it's cornerstone values and presentes them as equals in creating outstanding guest service. they are Safety, Service, Cleanliness, Courtesy, and Integrity. CF has always looked highly upon the Paramount parks for their outstanding operation. But that doesnt mean change isn't going to happen.

If you want to know what ride policies will be in place next year, all you have to do is take a look at Cedar Points ride policies. There is 1 lady for the entire chain of parks who is incharge of Operations consistency and training. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Some things will mainly remain the same like height requirements, but most things will be passed a long to her. However, to me it would make sense if she earned a partner from Paramount Parks to asisst her as a lot of the ride are very different from tradition CF rides.

As for cleanliness, when I worked for Cedar Point every day ride crews were requireed to do drastic cleaning. Take off gum, remove graffitti, remove grease and such. The trash crew at night also does power washing at night. Either on midways and especially in high traffic queues.

Something I especially like about the Cedar Fair team, is they don't expect to remain the same staffing wise. The organization adjusts and grows to accomodate new growth finiacnially, and has no problem hearing about how there purchased parks have done things in the past. It's more or less a collaboration of ideas as opposed to complete change to Cedar Fair. If an idea fits the cornerstones, and seems reasonable to all parties than it will be adopted. I noticed a lot of changes in CF policy when they purchased Michigans Adventure, and I also noticed changes when they Purchased Geauga Lake. Granted there will be standard changes like the policies I mentioned before. I think CF will adopt a lot of stuff from Paramount parks, and I think the biggest change will come to Cedar Fair as opposed to the paramount parks.

This time next year, there will probably be a lot of discussion about all the changes CF has made to KI, but in reality there will probably be an equall amount of discussion on the boards of the older CF parks fansites, about the influence the Paramount purchase has made. I think the biggest adaptation CF will make is the addition of a theming division to their planning and design department. I beleive since CF has very little close to no experience with theming will grasp the opportunity to learn from those who have been doing if for the paramount parks. Granted CF historically has not operated Theme parks. I do beleive that CF is looking to change that and keep the Paramount parks the way they are as Cf has made the purchase with the deals and lisensing exactly as they had been with paramount. Except Paramount parks will now feature Peanuts charaters as well. (I've noticed that merchandise is already starting to show up at KI gift shops.)

My predictions from my experience with CF is that at al the Paramount parks, we will see extensive cleaning, and a return of a dress code similar but not as strict as what marlfox_21 decribed. (CF used to be that way, but changed to standard uniforms for departments. Everybody in Ride Operations will wear one thing, and every bodby in Merchandising will wear something else. The physical dress code is describe on Cedar Point website under Jobs. In fact in general anything that that might, not guarenteed, to happen in by opening next year is probably already described on all the CF websites as all the parks are expected to be consistant with each other). I assume that all full time employees will be expected to wear standard business attire, shirts and ties, blouses, and skirts or slacks.... I assume to see a lot of Peanuts test marketing, maybe the arrival of Peanuts costumed charactors. By the end of October there will probably be probably be "practice runs of policis for the following season." This is a standard thing done at Cedar Point. It does kind of confuse some things for both guests and employees but it is a good preview of what is to come. So in my opinion keep your eyes and ears open in October for what kind of changes will be happening next year. However, most aquisitions tend to take 5 years to fully transition into CF. It hasn't been officially stated yet, but Dick Kinzel was supposed to retire at the end of 2007, but has asked the board to stay on for another 5 years and retire in 2012, to see through the Paramount aquisition....

If any seasonal Kings Island employees are reading this, expect more paper work next season. I've talked with many people who have visited CP and many people at parks I've visted, and I think CF has the most detailed complete documentation of every hour that occurs in every park. WHen it comes to complaints be prepared. And guests beware of the highly detailed logs and reports. Probably many similarities, but there is a lot.

I hope this has been more informative than confusing. None of the predictions should be taken as fact as I no longer am employed by Cedar Fair and I never had a full time job to be in the know, this was all based on my experiences with the company. The factual information on how the company runs its parks now is basic knowledge that can be read more in depth at the various CF websites.

Back on the cleaning topic, Spring cleaning is a major event at CF parks. How much of an event, I've seen employees in April, under the track of Top Thrill Dragster in April pulling leaves out of the gravel and sand under the track. So whoever was complaining about the dirty rides when the park opened this year, with Cf your wish has been granted.

Uhh.

Max capacity is 60,000.

49,000 IS A LOT, and when the park has that many or more, it's VERY unpleasant.

Our budgets for Resale were based upon park sell-outs of 64,000, which included the main park and the waterpark. I agree that 49,000 is a lot, but back in the late 80's through mid 90's, a 50,000+ Friday or Saturday was the norm, not the exception as it seems to be now.

Uhh.

Max capacity is 60,000.

49,000 IS A LOT, and when the park has that many or more, it's VERY unpleasant.

Our budgets for Resale were based upon park sell-outs of 64,000, which included the main park and the waterpark. I agree that 49,000 is a lot, but back in the late 80's through mid 90's, a 50,000+ Friday or Saturday was the norm, not the exception as it seems to be now.

So, are you saying that park attendance has been dropping since the late 80's through the 90's? huh.gif

Whether or not attendance has, capacity has certainly dropped. There are fewer shows and attractions, and the rides that have been installed handle, cumulatively, fewer people per hour, even theoretically, than existed before. Compare, for example, both sides of the Tiques plus the Flying Scooters to Italian Stunt Job...compare TRTR as it runs to Kenton's Keel Boat Canal. And even the restaurants and shops are neither as fully open nor as fully staffed as in the past.

Yes, the waterpark has added capacity, but perhaps not as much as has been lost in the dry park.

Whether or not attendance has, capacity has certainly dropped. There are fewer shows and attractions, and the rides that have been installed handle, cumulatively, fewer people per hour, even theoretically, than existed before. Compare, for example, both sides of the Tiques plus the Flying Scooters to Italian Stunt Job...compare TRTR as it runs to Kenton's Keel Boat Canal. And even the restaurants and shops are neither as fully open nor as fully staffed as in the past.

Yes, the waterpark has added capacity, but perhaps not as much as has been lost in the dry park.

I never thought about that.

I never thought about that.

Yeah, it's pretty scary when you look at all of that and how really empty certain places are in the park. The place is packed with people but then there aren't a lot of high capacity areas for them to hit. Hopefully CF can do what they're best at with CP and boost their staff and boost capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, those are valid points Interpreter. And the point is even more exasberated with Son of Beast down. With lower capacity rides, more people are stuck in ride lines on busy days, and thus not on the midways spending money. A reason why higher capacity rides are important.

Guest kwindshawne

If people weren't such pigs, that wouldn't have been a problem to begin with. When I was there yesterday, this guy kept spitting in the line, and then I saw him hawk one on The Racer as it was going up the hill. You can only do so much, but the real problem is people's habits-I think it's a shame theyhave to hire people to clean up after assholes like that.....

If people weren't such pigs, that wouldn't have been a problem to begin with. When I was there yesterday, this guy kept spitting in the line, and then I saw him hawk one on The Racer as it was going up the hill. You can only do so much, but the real problem is people's habits-I think it's a shame theyhave to hire people to clean up after assholes like that.....

It's called being in business.