Injured Son of Beast Rider Files Suit

CoastersNSich

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked at the park for 11 years, and now currently work in law enforcement. I can tell you that KI will or already has paid the medical bills, thats just policy. (not sure if Cedar Fair does). I wasn't shocked that these people are sueing...thats just the way greedy America rolls. I was shocked of the alligations of the case. Kings Island like so many other large parks have an excellent maintenance staff, and procedures. If I were a lawyer representing KI, I would not want them to settle. I saw the news story on another station, and their (the plaintiff's) lawyer stated the park's medical staff took over an hour to respond, and only one nurse was working......WRONG! In all my years responding to calls at the park first aid always got there first, and there were ALWAYS at least 3 - 4 emt's ready and on call.

I'm sorry these people got hurt, but don't act like you know how the operation works. Another person stated on here that there is always a lawsuit going on at the park that the public hears nothing about, and that is 100% true, and most are found frivolous and thrown out, and the plaintiff's are out a lot of money.

maybe so but i feel bad for the park who does loose when the plaintiff wins and shouldnt have or in the best intrest of the park they settle. you make some good points but remember just cause you worked there 11 years dont act like you know it all either..... i have worked there about the same amount time. i didnt work in your field. i have a son who works in your field........and the part about an hour or so on the emergency call, i can confirm that was bullcrap of the author....and also there are alot of cases in court and many get settled just as many get thrown out. but i do believe alot of the cases won or settled, the park got screwed cause there are alot of money hungry people out there...

I know if I got injured because the park knew about this DESIGN of wood being bad, I would definately sue over that.. I wouldn't care about the $ I would care about losing my life or getting crictically injured almost because some ride falling apart because of poor structure on it. I would want this to never happen to anyone ever agian. I would want there to be changes made on how the structure would be. I like SOB a lot but I want it to be safe for people and I myself to enjoy riding it. Like everyone has known it has a long history of problems with the type of wood that was used. I'm sooo curious what kind of wood was used in designing El Toro and then SOB? Why didn't we choose another type? Who was the company that brought this wood in anyways? What happened to the $ that was won after the structure fell in high winds that the park got... I just don't understand why this ride was never fixed in the first place only time will tell for all of us what really is going on with this ride... huh.gif

As Maureen has answered again and again, the park has never collected one dime of the settlement from the Roller Coaster Corporation of Ohio. So, that's what happened to that money...the park has not received it. . .

And El Toro was just built. SOB was constructed in 1999-2000, over six years ago. . .and the general contractor was someone by the name of Paramount Parks.

Well, it is kind of premature to determine if the ride was not properly maintained, considering the investigation has yet to be concluded. But the fact that it would not have been noticed during the morning inspection also means that there was no way they could have known that particular member was going to fail. Kings Island knows how to maintain their wooden coasters. The thing with Son of Beast is probably not maintenance of the ride, but the design of it.

I was thinking the same thing you was.They are still looking into this matter.I think this case wont make it very far i think the design of the coaster was bad.

Scoot

I worked at the park for 11 years, and now currently work in law enforcement. I can tell you that KI will or already has paid the medical bills, thats just policy. (not sure if Cedar Fair does). I wasn't shocked that these people are sueing...thats just the way greedy America rolls. I was shocked of the alligations of the case. Kings Island like so many other large parks have an excellent maintenance staff, and procedures. If I were a lawyer representing KI, I would not want them to settle. I saw the news story on another station, and their (the plaintiff's) lawyer stated the park's medical staff took over an hour to respond, and only one nurse was working......WRONG! In all my years responding to calls at the park first aid always got there first, and there were ALWAYS at least 3 - 4 emt's ready and on call.

I'm sorry these people got hurt, but don't act like you know how the operation works. Another person stated on here that there is always a lawsuit going on at the park that the public hears nothing about, and that is 100% true, and most are found frivolous and thrown out, and the plaintiff's are out a lot of money.

I'm certain that many are settled without going to court.

I can tell you that it's not likely that these medical bills have been paid until a release is signed.

I would hope that CF or Paramount or whoever is to blaim paid for the medical bills, but Im sure if you read the ticket or somewhere, it says you cant sue the park for anything that happens to you in the park. I know it doesnt seem right but if it wasnt like that, if someone tripped on there shoe lace, o thats a lawsuit. Or like today, me and my dad where joking around when the door on TR wouldnt open we were saying, o were suing for not maintaining there rides correctly and putting our lives in danger (just a joke). laugh.gif

I hope the people who were hurt in the accident recover and visit PKI again.

maybe so but i feel bad for the park who does loose when the plaintiff wins and shouldnt have or in the best intrest of the park they settle. you make some good points but remember just cause you worked there 11 years dont act like you know it all either..... i have worked there about the same amount time. i didnt work in your field. i have a son who works in your field........and the part about an hour or so on the emergency call, i can confirm that was bullcrap of the author....and also there are alot of cases in court and many get settled just as many get thrown out. but i do believe alot of the cases won or settled, the park got screwed cause there are alot of money hungry people out there...

Your exactly right, there are cases that just get settled. I dont mean to sound like an expert....especially now that a new owner is involved. Things may be going down that I wouldn't think would happen. I understand that part, but with my experience the park has always taken very good care of people involved in situations like these, and when I say good care I mean to the extreme. Cedar Fair may run a completely different way. I know cases with Kings Island get settled as much as thrown out.....as I work closely with Warren County courts, but like you said it's sad to see things like this, because it just hurts the bottom line of the business. I guess my point could be summed up into the fact that NO ONE WILL WIN because of this lawsuit, and that is sad. The result will not make their PAIN go away, and that is my problem with the lawsuit. SOB will not run better because of "this" lawsuit. Kings Island will not lower prices because of this lawsuit. They "might" even decide to remove SOB. I could keep going on why I have a dislike for lawsuits, and their ultimate goal, and how it's purpose has been lost over the years, but I would be typing until next week. I'll just leave it at that for now.

I would hope that CF or Paramount or whoever is to blaim paid for the medical bills, but Im sure if you read the ticket or somewhere, it says you cant sue the park for anything that happens to you in the park. I know it doesnt seem right but if it wasnt like that, if someone tripped on there shoe lace, o thats a lawsuit. Or like today, me and my dad where joking around when the door on TR wouldnt open we were saying, o were suing for not maintaining there rides correctly and putting our lives in danger (just a joke). laugh.gif

I hope the people who were hurt in the accident recover and visit PKI again.

The waiver on the back of the ticket means only that additional ink was used. It has virtually no legal effect.

And if someone trips on their shoe lace, they can and some most certainly do sue the park. . .

The guy has a legit case but you know that you have a chance of these things happening so he has to take these kind of things into consideration but i bet that he wins money from this case. I wonder who will pay him Paramount or Cedar Fair. I am betting on Paramount.

The guy has a legit case but you know that you have a chance of these things happening so he has to take these kind of things into consideration but i bet that he wins money from this case. I wonder who will pay him Paramount or Cedar Fair. I am betting on Paramount.

Having Been an Insurance Claims Rep for YEARS......you've taken a bad bet.

I wonder how many of the 27 have true injuries. Many have just bruises, I can get those from riding The Beast. I hope those truely injuried heal and are given what they deserve and those who where not hurt, but just have bruises are honest and don't jump on the band wagon to make a quick buck.

The complaint against Cedar Fair and Paramount Parks alleges that the ride was not properly maintained.

So what they are saying is that they were hurt because the ride is not safe? I don't understand why you would sue due to the fact you think the ride is not properly maintained, The park has more than enough paperwork proving otherwise. I don't think this case will make it very far.

You think it's safe? Crap don't happen when you could kill someone. They will find someone at fault here and it's not going to be the riders.

If the maintence is so good how did this happen? Why was a car removed from the trains? Why was it closed early last year? wacko.gif

I think this case will make it all the way. This is not like getting struck by lightning in the parking lot.

I don't know about that. They have judge Flannery, and he's fallen on the side of Kings Island before. It was either him or Bronson who made a judgement for KI when those teens sued the park because they got their butt's kicked in the parking lot, and tried to say Kings Island had poor security. Anyway the judges here at the common pleas court have heard it all before, and will have the final say. I hope they side with the park, and don't give those folks any money.....All they should get is medical bills paid for.

No judge in any common pleas court has the final say.

That's what courts of appeal are for.

And if a judge has a history of deciding in favor of the park, you can bet your sweet bippy that either the judge will recuse himself, the parties will ask that s/he does, or there will be strong grounds for an appeal.

Picard,

The ride is safe. Things DO happen when you are working with wood. Have you ever done that?

Its called a freak accident, Act of God (I have read that phrase in many a contract. I think its funny,) an imbalance of energies in the Rosebowl causing the circular pattern of the bowl to shatter due to no point of the energy to release, whatever you want to call it. Will this happen again to SOB? Most likely not. Will the state release the ride to the park without making sure that the ride can support the stresses of the car? You better believe it. Will the maintenance crews allow people on the ride if they find problems in their start up? Duh, of course not.

Ive said it before, and I will say it again. Wood does not show signs of fatigue like metal does. Metal will form fatigue cracks, which are easily seen during an open. Wood can break at any time. Have you not seen tree limbs fall from a tree due to just a small breeze? If you do, you will notice that there are not hairline cracks on the outside of the wood, but there are on the inside. You cant x-ray the wood or put a small amount of current through it and see if it conducts. You just dont know about it.

PKI replaces huge sections of wood every year on that ride, just to make sure accidents like this dont happen. Did it? Yes, but the ride is properly maintained.

I will say right now that once the facts are set straight to this woman, she will lose the suit.

What does setting forth the "facts" to "this woman" have to do with her winning or losing her suit???

Good reply.

As a father of 2, whether true or not....that item here makes me wonder.

Item

A lot of negativity around that report, but as a parent makes me wonder....

Also, SOB_Tom I bet if this had happend to you or someone you loved, you would have a different feeling towards stuff. sad.gif

Take a careful look at that website.

After looking carefully, you should decide for yourself whether that "organization" has any credibility whatsover. In the opinion of most who have done so, its so called reports are in no way scientific or professional.

Let's wait on the state's report, and those of actual experts.

Take a careful look at that website.

After looking carefully, you should decide for yourself whether that "organization" has any credibility whatsover. In the opinion of most who have done so, its so called reports are in no way scientific or professional.

Let's wait on the state's report, and those of actual experts.

The web site is comprised of news paper articles and peoples opinion. They do not claim to have all the answers, or give any personal opinion. They do not produce or write the articles, they just put them together in categories. They do ask the parks for comments regarding any issue and publish them if provided. As for credibility, they don't need credibility to re-print someone else's opinion or article. They just need good organizational skills. Your name fails you again!!!

Picard,

The ride is safe. Things DO happen when you are working with wood. Have you ever done that?

Its called a freak accident, Act of God (I have read that phrase in many a contract. I think its funny,) an imbalance of energies in the Rosebowl causing the circular pattern of the bowl to shatter due to no point of the energy to release, whatever you want to call it. Will this happen again to SOB? Most likely not. Will the state release the ride to the park without making sure that the ride can support the stresses of the car? You better believe it. Will the maintenance crews allow people on the ride if they find problems in their start up? Duh, of course not.

Ive said it before, and I will say it again. Wood does not show signs of fatigue like metal does. Metal will form fatigue cracks, which are easily seen during an  open. Wood can break at any time. Have you not seen tree limbs fall from a tree due to just a small breeze? If you do, you will notice that there are not hairline cracks on the outside of the wood, but there are on the inside. You cant x-ray the wood or put a small amount of current through it and see if it conducts. You just dont know about it.

PKI replaces huge sections of wood every year on that ride, just to make sure accidents like this dont happen. Did it? Yes, but the ride is properly maintained.

I will say right now that once the facts are set straight to this woman, she will lose the suit.

If like you are saying the park has no control over this, they shouldn't have built the ride to start with. The park is the one that didn't find the problem and caused these people to get injured.

Do they need to put up a warning the says it's wood and could fall apart at anytime ride at your own risk?

I do know about it. When I worked for General Motors everything I did had my name on it. If something I done gets someone killed I know they will be wanting to talk to me. When you are playing with someones life you don't guess at it.

As for the Judge they will ask for change of venue to secure fair trial. It will probably be moved to Columbus.