Trip to PKI 7/24/06

shephed

I have been going to PKI for many years and for the last two years have been a season pass holder. Monday may have changed my mind about future trips to the park.

Yesterday was the last "bring a friend free" day and my God the park was a zoo.

I knew to expect a large crowd, but there were two factors that made the trip a living hell for my family.

First was my 13 year old daughter getting stuck on the swing ride due to power failure (this seemed to be an on-going theme Monday) and having to jump 8 feet to the ground to get off the ride. During our 5 hours at the park, half of the rides were suffering some sort of "technical difficulties" at any given time.

Second, the water park was having its own issues with water pressure. Several rides were either restricted to half the number of people allowed at a time, or people were made to wait for water to build back up.

Now if I can find a valid e-mail address to send in a complaint.......

Hopefully Cedar Fair is listening and decides not to hold any more of these specific bring a friend free days. It was something that Viacom/CBS did as an effort to boost in-park spending among guests. Unfortunately, they forgot that many guests, no matter how much they paid to get in, don't like an absolutely packed park. I'm certain that guests who came in paying their way for a day ticket weren't very happy. All these things do is turn-off customers, IMO.

Sorry for the power outage, though.

It would be better if they gave each pass holder one bring a friend free ticket that could be used anytime throughout the season. They used to do that as a perk to pass holders that renewed before the end of the season would get one ticket per pass good for the remainder of the season. That way, they still get more people into the park who will be spending money, but they can effectively spread out the crowds. By spreading out the crowds across numerous days, they avoid all the chaos that comes with an almost capacity filled park and still manage to get an increase of in park spending over a larger period of days.

Yeah but thats rediculous. The girl should not have been made to jump 8 feet. Also I would think they would just close slides that didn't have enough pressure. The heavy crowds probably just made everybody irritated in general - and I bet that it also affected the moods of the employees - probably adding to the non funness.

Yesterday for me was actually a fairly good day. The crowds were absolutely insane, but the employees handled it well in my opinion. I did however suffer the longest waits I had ever had for certain rides. Top Gun was a 45 minute wait and Adventure Express was a 20-30 minute wait. The Beast Employees were awesome. They were cheering up the crowd thoughout the night, despite a full line even at 10:15. Every inch of the line was filled. The crowds were bad, and so were the outages but the park did well imo.

I went yesterday and took my dad & my 5 year old nephew so he could enjoy BB and Nick Universe that was the worst trip ever I think CF needs to stop Bring a Friend Free Day or do it another way I mean yesterday was awful I couldnt even shop in the stores because they were packed.

It was Pki fault for the power outage I know what happened.There where a more than 45,000 people there on Monday and we ahd to park on the grass by the Highway. I only got on 3 rides usally I can get on every ride atleast once. Well it all started buy the Face/Off when the generator blew and a little fire stared causeing all of the rides to shut down when people where on them some took longer to reopen. I was told this buy a supervisior of Face/Off. All I can see is that the it was sheer hell on mondy and I did have fun but then agian it was a kind of weired day I suggest staying from Kings Island becausethat this week will be the bussiest from waht one of the emyployees said and it was busy this sunday hwen I went. i also took advange of bring a friend day.

Yeah but thats rediculous.  The girl should not have been made to jump 8 feet.  Also I would think they would just close slides that didn't have enough pressure.  The heavy crowds probably just made everybody irritated in general - and I bet that it also affected the moods of the employees - probably adding to the non funness.

Valid points. However, Klockster I know you are a former employee who may or may not be familiar with evacuation procedures but do you really think managers evacuating a ride would force a guest to jump 8 feet, especially a 13 year old girl, no offense to the original poster but I think he's exagerating a little bit. I know he wants to complain.....but what does he really have to complain about? The power surge that caused the outages were not due to the park, even surrounding business suffered from the same plague, rides break down and suffer technical difficulties, the details of these difficulties arent always revelead. The temporary closure of rides can happen for many reasons, yes they are machines and suffer mechanical difficulties sometimes, but there are lots of things guests can do to temporarily **** a ride down, the fact is, ride closures can happen every day without warning, you should take this into consideration when going into any park, even in real life, what guarantees your car is going to start every morning? Also, original poster, did you look to see if it was a bring a friend free day or if there was any type of event? I know it was listed on the front page of www.pki.com and advertised on their marquee. As for the water park, how are you sure they were having pressure problems, and how are you sure it was the park's fault......whose to say the beach waterpark down the street wasnt suffering the same problems? I'm sorry your family had a bad time, as KI is a place for families to ahve great times, but we must think sensibly here or maybe I should just work for CF guest relations with my attitude. Interpreter?

If theres one thing you and I can agree on shephed, its that BAFFD must be stopped.

King Maple The Tree King.........trying to believe in the average guest.

I received a very nice e-mail from a person at PKI.

They explained what happened that day and even made it up to the kids my wife and I took that day.

Thank you very much PKI and I'm really impressed with how committed to park visitors you folks are!

I wasn't there on the 24 of July, but from talking to come buddys that the day was horrable. So crowed and packed, the word is that little more than 50,000 people show'ed up. There was another bring a friend free day back last June, but it rained the hole day so only 20,000 came.