Amusement Park Ad Wars

I remember seeing a Geauga Lake billboard in West Virginia along I-70, heading west when I was heading back home from Pittsburgh in February.

About Cedar Point billboards in Cincinnati: I think the last time I saw one in our area had to have been in 2004. I doubt that would be happening now or in the future with Cedar Fair now owning the big park in the Cincinnati area. Heck, I don't think I've even seen any PKI billboards around town in the past couple of weeks.

Does anyone remember the ad wars between Cedar Point and Six Flags Worlds of Adventure? It happened between 2001-2003. One of the TV ads had a guest claiming that they drove past CP to get to SFWOA. Of course, by 2003, the opposite was true. SFWOA was one of the most overhyped, pathetically run parks around! Sure, they added 5 new coasters in 2 years, and added SeaWorld to the gate, but when I first visited in '02, half the coasters were closed, restrooms were filthy, one-train operations, and rude employees (NO TAKING PICTURES!!). While I came back to Geauga Lake once every season there after - many others didn't.

But the Kennywood/Geauga Lake competition IMO is healthy and honest. Geauga Lake offers 10 roller coasters and a large water park for only $25, while Kennywood is a beloved traditional park with great old wooden coasters and some newer thrills, and is still very popular. KW's POP at the gate is $28 - more than Geauga Lake, but still worthwhile.

I've probably said this before, either here or somewhere else, but has KI ever had serious competition?