Coney Island Trip

Me and my dad are going to Coney Island within the next week and were wondering somethings.

1. Is Python a good coaster ? (We love Wild Cat at Cedar Point)

2. Is the Scream Machine fun ?

3. Do they have antique cars ?

4. Is it worth a drive there ?

5. Could you do a marthon on the python ?

6. What rides get long lines if any ?

Coney is technically my "home park" as I live like less than 10 minutes from it. laugh.gif Python is fun - but its no Vortex or anything. They don't have any Tiques. And Scream Machine is great. Of course it can't hold a candle to Drop Zone - but I could still ride it all day!

The Flying Bobs is another cool ride. They have a super roundup - and it is definately pretty intense. They are the only rides that make me feel sick. Coney also has a Big Eli Wheel - and it is pretty scary. I am always afraid of tippping over in it. laugh.gif

Coney is a fun little park. I like to go after 4 cause its cheaper. It works for me since all I have to do is hop in the car and drive a few minutes to get there. But I would definately say its worth a day. You can ride all the rides and hang out at the pool and everything.

RIDE HEIGHT REQUIREMENTS

Airplanes 48" or less

***************Antique Cars 48" or less

Boats & Trains 48" or less

Bumper Boats 48" or more to ride

Carousel 48" or more w/o an adult

Dodgems 52" or more w/o an adult 36" or more w/ an adult

Ferris Wheel 48" or more w/o an adult 36" or more w/ an Adult

Flying Bobs 48" or more w/o an adult

Frog Hopper 36" or more (between 3 &12 yrs old) People 13 & over ride in the middle seat

Helicopters 48" or less

Kiddie Circle Freeway 48" or less

Pedal Boats 48" or more w/o an adult

Python 52" or more w/o an adult

Racing Rockets 48" or less

Round Up 48" or more to ride

Scrambler 48" or more w/o an adult

Scream Machine 48" or more to ride

Skyfighter 48" or less

Spin-A-Ree 48" or less 36" or more w/o an adult

Super Slide 48" or more w/o an adult

Tempest 52" or more w/o an adult

Tempest 48" or more w/o an adult

Tilt a Whirl 48" or more w/o an adult

Trabant 48" or more w/o an adult

This is from the Coney Island Web Sight notice the tique's

http://www.coneyislandpark.com/attractions_rides.php

Ok. To clear up some confusion with regards to this "Antique Cars." Back in 2002, on the current site of Spin-A-Ree, there was an 'umbrella' kiddie ride (similar to Kiddie Circle Freeway at Coney and Go Diego Go at Kings Island). That ride was removed in 2003, when The Frog Hopper was introduced next to the Carousel (where Scream Machine is now) and Spin A Ree replaced the old Antique Car ride. Then, last year they brought in the Scream Machine, and moved the Frog Hopper to where Baby Bumper Boats were. Also note that under the height requirements, they list a ride called "Skyfighters." There is no current ride (ever since I worked there anyway) by that name.

A few revisions to those height requirements. People over 48" can ride on Spin A Ree. If you are under 36" you must be accompanied by an adult. Also, in order to ride Tempest, you must be 48" to ride with an adult and 52" to ride without an adult. Also, on the Python, You must be 36" to ride with an adult, and 52" to ride without an adult.

Yes, it is a fun little park. If you go on a weekday, lines should be minimal. Even if you go on a weekend and there are picnics there, you should have no more than a couple cycle wait for any given ride, with the Pythoon being or Dodgems being two of the longer waits. Also, Pedal Boats can have a longer wait if all the boats are out in Lake Como.

The Python packs a little bit of a punch. It really whips over the hills, which is part of the reasonwhy we are not allowed to put anybody in the back row of the trains. And, the brakes come on rather hard at the end of the ride. While nothing to write home about, it is a roller coaster none the less. If the lines aren`t long, you could easily get a lot of rides in on it.

The Scream Machine is fun, and provides some nice little pops of airtime when it drops.

There is also Famous Fairways Mini-Golf next to the Dodgems. If you have a wristband, it will cost $1 to play plus a $1 ball deposit that you will get back when you return the ball when you are done. It is not that elaborate of a course but it is still a miniature golf course. Last time I worked it, there were no score cards though.

Also, if you have a Kroger Plus Card, you can get buy one get one free rides wristbands. A normal rides wristband is $9.95 per person and a pool and ride combo is $18.50 per person. The ticket booth is located by the Pepsi Python facing the entrance to Sunlite Pool. I believe parking is $6 per car.

Coney is definantely worth a visit. They have some classic rides that you don`t find at many corporate parks like a Round Up, Trabant, Bumper Boats, and Pedal Boats. If you go, make sure to post your trip report. I`d like to hear what you thought of the park. Next year Coney will continue to "grow." I know of at least one attraction that they are adding to the park next year and it will probably be a hit. And they still haven`t finalized other new attractions for next year!

I hope I`ve answered your questions! If not, let be know. Having worked there for five years, and having a brother who has worked there for four years and just took his first day off in more than a month yesterday, I know a lot about the inner workings of the park. And you can also visit my website to see some images from Coney last year and this year.

Yeah, that looks like a pretty good deal. Where did you see that ad at (which Ameristop)? Considering normal pool and ride admission is $18.50, assuming that promotion is still current, you would save $7.50. I know that Ameristop does offer discounts to the for a ride all day pass, haven`t heard of a combo pass. Especially wierd that the price listed is $10.99 because out at the Rides ticket booth, we don`t get any pennies in our drawer...

Yes, it is. Keep in mind that Coney`s rides are open daily through the 27th of August. However, the week of August 21-25th, the rides are open from 2-8 pm. The reason behind that is a lot of schools are in session and we have a hard time getting staffing. In past years, we have has only about ten operators for an entire day. I remember back in 2004 working that week on both the Python and Bobs, switching back and forth every ten or so minutes to allow the guests to ride each ride. The people that gave us our breaks on that day were two VP of park operations!

Is Coney Island worth the trip? Heck yeah! If PKI went out of business, I'd buy a season pass to Coney Island the same day. It has charm, atmosphere, and flat rides. Sadly, it only has one coaster - and that coaster is very SHAKY. I do love Coney Island. But I love PKI more because it has more to offer.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

Well, I`ll return working there on weekends starting August 26. Personally, I love working there, and look forward to going in for each shift even though I`ve been there for five years! Being able to interact with guests and see children having fun is a blast! My brother is addicted to working there. He just finished a 60+ hour week. At Coney, you normally don`t work more than 40 hours unless you express interest in doing so.

Well, there was the time I was going to Michigan's Adventure and ended up at the Wisconsin Dells. Random? Sure. That's part of the fun of life. Many is the time that I started out at Kentucky Kingdom and just left and went to Kings Island or Holiday World or vice versa, or even all three! Life is for living. Enjoy! If you can afford it and have the time, why not go somewhere else if the notion strikes?

And sometimes, when you are dependent on someone else for a ride (or they on you), you change your plans, or have them changed for you. One time I was going to spend three happy days at Six Flags Great America, but a friend had his brakes going out on his car and needed someone to follow him back to Cinci....and so I did, ending my Great America visit after the first day, going back to Cinci--and ended up going to the Point and having the time of my life.

I like fairs (and yes, this post has been random, too!) smile.gif

Yeah, it probably was. But if your in the Cincinnati area, Coney is not a bad park to visit at least once. It is especially nice because it isn`t as big as Kings Island and as such doesn`t have quite as many long lines as Kings Island. Although there are days when there are more than 15,000 people at Coney (ie Balloon glow, Kroger Day, 5/3 day and the AFL-CIO day on Labor Day) which makes Coney look like Kings Island on a Bring a Friend Free Day.

Yeah we can vouch for the large crowd on the ballon glow night. we didn't get to do any attractions because of the large crowds but it was nice to see Coney Island for ourselves. It was to crowded that night to get a good feel for the park but we did enjoy the acttivites that night. Just to see somthing differeante. I don't know when but we'll come back sometime, maybe to ride the BB River Boat thier.

Yeah, if you showed up to Coney on Balloon Glow night anytime after five o`clock it was a zoo and not very representative of a typical day at Coney. Before five on that day the park was fine. I showed up at 9 to watch the fireworks. It would definantely be worth a trip back when the park isn`t as crowded.

On a side note, the Cincinnati Flower and Farm Fest that has been held at Coney the past couple of years the first two weekends in October has a new name this year (all the classic rides are open). This year it is called Falloween. In addition, they have uped the date by a weekend so that it occurs on the last weekend in September and the first weekend in October.