bring it back!

Purplehaze

Remember back in the day of Kings Island? The train ride had live actors and put on gun fights and all.... Now I look back it was cheesy, but when I was a kid it was so magical..... and bring back the Enchanted Voyage, the original dark ride Whoohooooo....... Yeah I know I will get shot for making this thread, so go ahead and shoot me I don't care...

No, we won't shoot you for making this thread, but I will if I have to correct the 18 errors I just corrected in this post alone.

Edited by Dane

Everytime I'm on the train (which is quite often) I think about what this must have been like...and how much needs to be done to that area. It's sad.

On the way back to Rivertown, I always see an engine stored away in a building on the right side. I think it's blue. Is this a backup for the main ride, or is it commemorative, maybe? Anyone have any details?

What makes me upset is the train is such a short ride. The track would have been built much longer if they didn't intend for the train to have a show. I think the train was originally meant for entertainment, not transportation. I always wondered why they didn't have it going all the way around the park. That is because they built it for entertainment! CF should look at how the original designers of the ride meant for it to be. Then make the changes. Does anyone know if there is any archived information for the original rides?

Dollywood has an awesome show for their train. I say CF should forget about that new ride for next year and put the 17 million in the entertainment budget. People would be so busy being entertained, they would forget about the rides! From the time they walk in the park until they leave, and it makes them want to come back for more.

-adam12 :-)

Let me answer the easy question first.

On busier days the blue engine was used in prior seasons to provide two trains. I have not seen two train operation yet this year.

I did find it interesting though, that it used to be the green engine pulled the green passenger cars, and the blue engine pulled the red passenger cars. This season they have the green engine pulling the red cars.

The train ride used to really be something. I can remember passing tipis and other native american dwellings approximately where you pass White Water Canyon, maybe where the platform is for the pumpkin patch, then there was a trappers shack where the tracks split off to do the loop around the fort. The fort set up an Indian battle scene with the soliders in the fort engaged in gun battles with indians places around the fort. I don't remember there ever being a train robbery scene, but others have posted that there was one. I also forget what all hapened as you passed by the western town. I guess the one memory I still hold from the train ride is the soldiers vs. indian battle that took place around the fort and where the boomerang Bay station is now.

Somehow I am optimistic about the train ride. Paramount only saw the train ride as transportation to/from Boomerang Bay. (Just look and see what Paramount did to the train rides at their other parks). Look at Cedar Point, their train ride still has some animated tableaux along the course, particularly on the leg from Frontiertown back to the main midway. True some of that is shared with Paddlewheel Excursion but it might just give us hope that just maybe that sort of thing interests Cedar Fair, and we can have some nice animations, or even just repaired/upgraded static scenery along the train ride.

I think the old wild west theming will leave because the Miami Valley Railroad seems to be taking on an aussie theme.

a. Why do you say that?

b. Why would you think Cedar Fair would keep going that direction even if CBS were doing that?

Yes, I know the train goes to Boomerang Bay...and comes back! smile.gif

I think the old wild west theming will leave because the Miami Valley Railroad seems to be taking on an aussie theme.

a. Why do you say that?

b. Why would you think Cedar Fair would keep going that direction even if CBS were doing that?

Yes, I know the train goes to Boomerang Bay...and comes back! smile.gif

Nah, everytime I go to BB I get an ''aussie'' guy over the p.a. system right after the paul hogan dude says '' thanks for visiting Boomerrang Bay'' and they always play music from Croc dundee so I'm just guessing.

Besides it would make more sense.

Paramount only saw the train ride as transportation to/from Boomerang Bay.

So quick to blame Paramount, it was actually KECO who only saw the train as a means of transportation to and from the water park, considering they built the park in 1989 and ran the train jsut as transportation from that point on, Paramount didnt take over untill 1993.

I wonder if he was talking about the water park. Well KECO can not be blamed for making the train ride show going away. Paramount took all of the people and old houses down after they got the parks. Well the train still worked as a show if you went to Winter Fest last year you know. If Cedar Fair did add something it would help out.

They have used two trains at FearFest the past few years for Pumpkin Patch Express and then again last year for Headless Hollow.

Yes, he was referring to the waterpark opening in 1989.

And from what I heard, those animatronic figures were literally falling apart the last couple of years. There is still the "Bear" in the woods right before the Boomerang Bay station.

So quick to blame Paramount, it was actually KECO who only saw the train as a means of transportation to and from the water park, considering they built the park in 1989 and ran the train jsut as transportation from that point on, Paramount didnt take over untill 1993.

Far more people used to walk the path to WaterWorks than to take the train when WaterWorks originally opened.

With CF holding the reigns Boomerang Bay will probably become a seperate pay to enter park just like Soak City so the train may be used even less in the future. If that happens will the train become obsolete or will it again become more of the ride it used to be, complete with working animatronics? Hopefully CF won't follow suit on the water parks since Boomerang Bay has always been included in the price but only time will tell.

Cedar Fair won't start to charge for BB Waterpark. All of the Paramount Parks have a water park which has always been including with park admission. Cedar Fair also has parks where there Water Parks are free with park admission, with the exception of Cedar Point, Knotts, and World's of Fun. We don't have anything to worry about.

Of the pre-Paramount Parks Cedar Fair parks, the three you listed probably did about 70 percent of the company's park business. Your exception is far larger than the parks left: Dorney, Michigan's Adventure and Valleyfair.

I would think that all policies of both sides of the new Cedar Fair are totally up for review. Although I doubt they start a separate gate charge for Boomerang Bay (especially with The Beach right across the street), I would not go so far as to say that it won't and can't happen.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for your wonderful post!

The trains at Kings Island are truly great, and the people who run them almost always seen very enthusiastic and love their jobs.

A point of interest. A couple of years back, Six Flags over Georgia very stupidly recently converted their steam trains to DIESEL. I don't mean they sold the steam locomotives and bought diesel ones, I mean they CONVERTED the relatively rare steam ones they had! They did this without the pre-knowledge of local train buffs, who no doubt would have raised the necessary dough to pay for the keeping of the steam trains or have bought them. This was not the wisest thing former park management ever did, to say the least.

The trains I feel will run with 2 on busy days once again and We have no worries The trains are not going anywhere far to many people use them to go to Boomerang Bay:

and Boomerang Bay will stay free and for a perk will always have a Season pass entrance:

To the future of the trains:

Remember, the idea for a train ride came from Coney island. The last few years, they had a pretty good train ride. The fort was there so I am guessing the stunts with the CI train ride went to KI. I had heard the trains that were at CI were sold to the Zoo. Not sure about that. The first couple of years, the train ride at KI was pretty cool. They had some live characters but I think it was limited like weekends and such. The train ridse WAS let go as soon as the waterpark was opened. It was a mistake...it should be refitted as a ride and provide another way to get to the Waterpark should be provided...a train ride is an expensive operation. If you're going to run it, make something out of it.

PKIAH,

Thanks for taking the time to post...it is very interesting stuff. My family personally just rides the train to relax...so hopefully it will be around a long time. Also thanks for the link to the pictures...I have always been curious what it looks like in the "barn". (It's a lot more modern looking than I suspected from the outside.)

I have 2 questions that I have...but don't get into any trouble if you can't answer either of them.

#1. I noticed in the photos a desk with a lot of paperwork...is there really that much paperwork involved with running a train?!!

#2. The watertower...I have never personally seen the train using it, but my sister says she has. My question is, does the train really get water from it, and also, if so, i'm guessing that it is just a "fake" tower with a pipe/plumbing running thru it...am I correct?

Sorry if they're stupid questions, but once again thanks for posting.

See ya,

J.D.

PIKAH, I wish we had access to more guys like you. The people that were at at park in the beginning so we see what the REAL strategy was for certain rides like the trains. IN the beginning a lot of CI rides were installed, Rotor, TumbleBug, Trabant and The Eagles.. I have no idea why those rides were removed but some were really classic, Amusmant park rides. What I hope is that CF turns KI into a REALLY large scale Amusment Park. Start with the Coney Island section. Turn it into a CLASSIC amusment park experience, That section of the park needs the ride holes filled and turned back into what Coney Island really was when it was closed in the 70's. Then you go section by section and make the changes needed. CP is a GREAT park. Rides are placed well, flow is good coinsidering the space limitations. Both parks can can learn from each other. They will.

• Like 1