Cedar Fair Management

gjb2008123

^Your a supervisor under 18? Back in the day when I used to work for the park in the rides department and games department you had to be 18 to be a sup but I dont remember for the toher departmetns. When I visit as a guest these days I notice some food sups who definently dont act liek theyre 18 so whats up with the park these days?

Actually, it is kind of a weird situation. Cedar Fair has already released an early edition of it's "Employment Handbook" to upper management. After visiting the park on Monday ( after my long drive from Florida ) my good friend allowed me to take a look at one of these handbooks.

Folks, there are some major changes coming in the parks direction. Everything from age requirement to dress code is about to change dramatically.

I know that they have not released this handbook to the associates yet, so I probably should not give away much of what I read. I am sure that Cedar Fair management has a plan on delivering much of what is yet to come in their own fashion. But having formerly worked in the sales office myself, I can say that BIG CHANGES ARE COMING.

What I am willing to tell you, because I feel you have the right to know is that recieving a demotion at Kings Island is the least of your worries if you are not 18 years of age.

Bottom line is that Cedar Fair wants to serve a professional environment for its guests, and lets face it, ( there are a lot of jobs that can't be done by minors )

Handling chemicals, lifting certain objects, operating machinery, entering freezers, on top of the fact that longer lunches are required for minors than for adults and lunches are required sooner for minors than for adults. ( and not in everybody's case, but there are the occasional individuals who aren't exactly mature enough to handle any professionalism at all. ) Not that some adults don't fit this category either.

The above stated reasons are not the ones indicated by Cedar Fair, but they are just my guess as to the new actions being taken by the owners.

But the handbook clearly states that NOONE under the age of 18 is to be eligable for employment through Cedar Fair.

Not management, or supervisory positions.....ANYTHING

I can only imagine that to replace any minors during the summertime would require the use of international associates who are 18 years of age, much like what Cedar Point itself is highly operated by. As well as attracting a larger adult crowd to the park. ( I am not saying that it is right, I am just trying to make a guess at what will happen. )

I do not know if this affects persons already employed by Cedar Fair, or if it only affects the prohibiting employment of persons under 18 in the future.

This is what I read. Doubt me if you want to. I am not expecting for anyone to like it. But this is what it says.

• Like 1

Yep. That there is the problem. They have a hard enough time staffing the rides throughout the entire season using minors. Let alone if they restricted it to 18. A while back, there was a rather brief discussion of mandating that all ride operators in the state be 18 or older. This would have killed Coney. Being 21, I am one of the handful of operators at Coney that are 18 or over (you can literally count them on two hands). Coney (moreso even than Kings Island) doesn`t offer the pay to entice the workers to work there. As in my case, you have to really love to work there for the pay that you get.

It will also be interesting to see if anything comes from the latest push to raise minimum wage. I heard some reports that people in Ohio want to raise minimum wage to $6.85 an hour, which is considerably more than what first year ride operators make at both Kings Island and Coney.

• Like 1

You can be a minor and work under Cedar Fair, at least currently (and at Cedar Point). Merch, I believe allows either 14+ or 15+ ages to work.

Otherwise, I can totally believe everything you've stated in that post. While it will be hard to find the staffing, if they can offer the monetary incentive to entice the older crowd to sign on, they may be "good to go" wink.gif

And if they pay more than Paramount Parks did, charge less for admission and cut food prices (ALL of which I think is in the game plan), why does ANYONE think season pass prices will not go up dramatically?

The money has to come from somewhere. And that doesn't even take into account the drastic increases in energy prices already seen and coming soon . . .

I should clarify. I do believe they will pay ride associates more. Middle and upper level management, those that get to keep their jobs, will find their salaries either frozen or cut, in my humble opinion. Paramount Parks paid some of the best salaries in the business, especially to general managers. Cedar Fair is known for paying less, considerably less.

yes, combat, there are supervisors who are under the age of 18... When I first started, that was not the case, but the times they are a changing. Anyways, I am not sure exactly how something like this would work out. I mean, no minors would make things more interesting. They're going to have to do a lot of recruiting from around the country. Think Cedar Point with all their college students coming from all over to work. Is it possible we will see associate dorms and apartments going up any time soon? blink.gif I dread the thought of that.

Also, the wardrobe is slowly being changed with the full time staff, next is seasonal operations and area managers I am sure. I expect nice button down shirts and khaki pants would be in order, but I do not know for sure. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I myself am only seventeen and a supervisor in food. But it does require experience unlike what some think. This is my third year in the park (I worked most of 2004, all of 2005 from opening day to winterfest and so far all of this year). Our greatest problem is retention. I honestly believe it would be better if I was older, however I do feel I deserved the position compared to the other options out there. The other crew leaders did not demonstrate the dedication (I worked plenty of seventy hour weeks), did not show the professionalism (I have never received a single written warning from any of my managers (not to say I've never been corrected but I never did anything inappropiate)), nor the overall will it takes to be a supervisor. It's not easy controlling 12 associates and making all the guests and associates happy. But I do it because I want to and I strive to make my stand, as well as the park, as excellent as I can make it.

While some people in management positions truly do not deserve their title, I do feel it wrong to take it away from those who really have worked their ass off and dedicated more to the park then someone who only gets the position because they're older.

Just my two cents

~ Steven

• Like 1

Expect to see an infussion of Internationals working at the park next summer. How do you think Cedar Point staffs the park and all the resorts during the summer. We will see the same aspect take place at Kings Island and I can honestly say I find the service and staff to have a more profesional feel at CP than KI. I am not knocking the great employees of KI, I just feel that the staff at CP performs their job with more maturity.

^Your a supervisor under 18? Back in the day when I used to work for the park in the rides department and games department you had to be 18 to be a sup but I dont remember for the toher departmetns. When I visit as a guest these days I notice some food sups who definently dont act liek theyre 18 so whats up with the park these days?

I was actually a Supervisor Trainee when I was 17 years old.

My first year I started as a Line Employee - was moved into a Morning Person Position and then into being a Cashier Foreman. My second year started as a Cashier Foreman and then was promoted to Supervisor Trainee.

Everyone had to perform a variety of duties as Supervisor Trainee (From managing every food operation as a fill in to even working in Food Service Warehouse) So, by the time you were ready to be placed in a stand - You were Ready.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well those have now been replaced again with colorful nametags, white 15, silver 16 and 17 and gold 18 and up.

I happen to be a Manager In Training right now at sixteen and I shutter to think I would lose my job next season after all the hours and dedication I have put into the park, simply because of my age. (I was also told if I were to do this to me I could file or whatever for age discrimination.) I also dread what will happen to my beloved games department if internationals do work there. We are always working with the people and sometimes even the most educated employee can't help the guest. Also redirecting the question to the supe will never work, at times we are run ragged with our best employees in the games.

Well those have now been replaced again with colorful nametags, white 15, silver 16 and 17 and gold 18 and up.

I happen to be a Manager In Training right now at sixteen and I shutter to think I would lose my job next season after all the hours and dedication I have put into the park, simply because of my age. (I was also told if I were to do this to me I could file or whatever for age discrimination.) I also dread what will happen to my beloved games department if internationals do work there. We are always working with the people and sometimes even the most educated employee can't help the guest. Also redirecting the question to the supe will never work, at times we are run ragged with our best employees in the games.

I certainly agree that it would be very unfair to take away a management position from someone who had worked hard for it. However, under the age of 18 you'll have no claim for "age discrimination." Under the age of 18 you are considered a minor, and there is nothing that says companies must employ minors, let alone let them hold management positions. CF would only need to say that they are enforcing their corporate policy. (Of course, if you were 60 and they demoted you because of age, you'd have basis for a big law suit...yeah, I know--it doesn't seem very fair wink.gif )

Maybe they'll be able to implement some sort of "grandfather clause" where they can let minors already in supervisory positions by Paramount Parks stay there, but only promote new members of management who are older than 18...

I won't even touch your comment on "internationals"... wink.gif

• Like 1

Jzarley's right, of course. Gamesguy08 could certainly FILE a claim under those circumstances, but it would have no probable chance of success whatsoever. Age discrimination law doesn't apply to workers under 40. Who says so? The United States Supreme Court.

You could FILE a claim under anything because your dog got sick watching a spinach commercial. But, it wouldn't go anywhere. Filing and prevailing are two very different things.

Jzarley's right, of course. Gamesguy08 could certainly FILE a claim under those circumstances, but it would have no probable chance of success whatsoever. Age discrimination law doesn't apply to workers under 40. Who says so? The United States Supreme Court.

You could FILE a claim under anything because your dog got sick watching a spinach commercial. But, it wouldn't go anywhere. Filing and prevailing are two very different things.

Regardless, I imagine that Ohio is still A Work at Will State. Employers and Employees can pretty much terminate the employment contract for any reason.

Jzarley's right, of course.  Gamesguy08 could certainly FILE a claim under those circumstances, but it would have no probable chance of success whatsoever.  Age discrimination law doesn't apply to workers under 40.  Who says so?  The United States Supreme Court.

You could FILE a claim under anything because your dog got sick watching a spinach commercial.  But, it wouldn't go anywhere.  Filing and prevailing are two very different things.

Regardless, I imagine that Ohio is still A Work at Will State. Employers and Employees can pretty much terminate the employment contract for any reason.

Yep...Ohio is still a right to hire/work at will state (as I believe are something like 39 others). As long as the reason for termination doesn't violate Federal EEO guidelines, you can be let go (or refused employment) for pretty much any reason.

And, like Interpreter said...you can file a claim for pretty much anything you want. It's the winning that's the hard part...and Ohio employers have many, many years of case law on their side.

• Like 1

Jzarley's right, of course.  Gamesguy08 could certainly FILE a claim under those circumstances, but it would have no probable chance of success whatsoever.  Age discrimination law doesn't apply to workers under 40.  Who says so?  The United States Supreme Court.

You could FILE a claim under anything because your dog got sick watching a spinach commercial.  But, it wouldn't go anywhere.  Filing and prevailing are two very different things.

Yep...Ohio is still a right to hire/work at will state (as I believe are something like 39 others). As long as the reason for termination doesn't violate Federal EEO guidelines, you can be let go (or refused employment) for pretty much any reason.

And, like Interpreter said...you can file a claim for pretty much anything you want. It's the winning that's the hard part...and Ohio employers have many, many years of case law on their side.

I'll give ya an example.

A Long Time Ago:

I was recruited away from working at Hamilton County Department of Human Services to be a Project Coordinator for an organization called Recovery Link. (It was a cooperation with Talbert House.) Gave up Seven Years of Service with the county and over 600 hours of sick time to take the job. On my desk was a picture of me and my partner standing in front of a waterfall at Krohn Conservatory. One of the Directors saw it one day and I was subsequently "Laid Off" due to budgetary restraints. The funny thing is that they soon after hired a woman with less experience for more money.

So I know the Right to Work stuff well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I first want to assure you that Cedar Fair does in fact hire minors to work in rides. All you have to do is look at Geauga Lake and there is proof positive that minors are in leadership and supervisor positions in every facet of the park. If i could give you all some advice, don't jump to conclusions that Cedar Fair is going to change everything. Give them a chance to come in and do their jobs!

Well, how many supervisors in the rides depatment were under 18 under Paramount Parks? While there might be some, I doubt that there was a huge amount. The day that they require all ride operators to be 18 years of age or older in Ohio will spell trouble for Kings Island and Coney Island for staffing.

...or will require them to compensate said supervisors and ride operators in such a fashion that they will not have trouble finding high quality, seasonal employees.

Cedar Point seems to attack this problem by using a great many international students, and college students recruited from around the country, all the while providing housing.

Cedar Fair has some interesting choices in how to staff its newly acquired parks.

As to the poster who said that Cedar Fair will not be making many or drastic changes in employment matters....that is nowhere near the case. And the changes have not even really begun to be visible....yet.