Cedar Fair Management

gjb2008123

Well, how many supervisors in the rides depatment were under 18 under Paramount Parks?  While there might be some, I doubt that there was a huge amount.  The day that they require all ride operators to be 18 years of age or older in Ohio will spell trouble for Kings Island and Coney Island for staffing.

Paramount Parks has not allowed minors to be promoted to ride supervisors since 2003.

As to the poster who said that Cedar Fair will not be making many or drastic changes in employment matters....that is nowhere near the case. And the changes have not even really begun to be visible....yet.

Until recently...like getting rid of ALL seasonals after the middle of November (or sooner in some cases)...

• Like 1

Next time, before you post make sure to proofread your post. Per the terms of service, all posts should have:

Spelling and grammar: You guys know how to write; I have no doubt about that. Please take the time to read over your posts before you post them to ensure that it’s not confusing. This includes proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalization mainly. AND PLEASE DON'T YELL!

Your post is a perfect example of how not to create a post. Besides, what you say is more believable if it appears you know how to compose the English language.

If that is the case then we can say hello to an extreme amount of Internationals or say goodbye to PKI. There is no way PKI will function if not hiring minors. I am 16 years old and I know that tons of people in food come work for 5 weeks and drop out. New people come in all the time. We get moved from stand to stand. My "Home stand" was Skyline on international street but I was basically floated from stand to stand. There is no way any 18 year old would want to get hot and greasy like we do. They could get a real job that pays more. Just my 2 sense..

MATT O.

PKI=THE SHIZ

Well, it will be interesting to see what happens. There will definantely be changes of some sort next year at Kings Isand. At this point in time we just don`t know eactly what those changes will be. Another thing that could affect the way things are done at the park is if the minimum wage is increased. I know Coney is going to be completely revamping their pay structure for 2007, regardless of the passage of the minimum wage proposal.

Seasonal amusement parks are always going to have a high turn over rate. Burn out is often an issue as these parks are often only open for full season about three months a year. As a result, most of the hours these employees will work will be in Summer and they will often work long hard hours. I speak from experience, having worked many ten to eleven hour days at Coney Island. Some people get in it and find out it isn`t for them. Others love it (I wouldn`t have worked at Coney for five years with their pay if I didn`t love what I was doing).

Why PKI may see more of an emphasis on International workers next year, it won`t be the first time. PKI has brought in internationals before, just never to the scale that Cedar Point has. Kings Island in the summer months has a larger pool of available help when compared to Cedar Point. The one thing that Cedar Point has is housing available for their Internationals. When Kings Island had internationals working there, they dormed in dorms down at UC and had to make the long trek up to the park via Metro bus, not exactly the most convenient for their International workers.

• Like 1

Well, a certain park in New Jersey (need I say where?) has installed a large number of very plain mobile homes (they can be seen easily from Nitro) where many of the internationals working in the park live.

It is virtually a certainty that Cedar Fair's employment practices will be far different than Paramount's were or would have been. Next year is going to be a very interesting season.

Yes. It will be interesting. There will be many new things at the park, most likely new uniforms to new ways of doing things. I`m sure the full time staff at the park will be busy in the offseason beginning to implement some of these changes.

In reality, Kings Islands schedule truly runs around college students. Not High School. In the early months of the year, students are still taking classes, but are only requested to put in a few hours here and there to prepare the park for its opening weekend. This works out as a kind of a compromise because the students need more time for study than for work. And when the park opens for weekends, just the same occurs. College students will not be taking classes on Saturdays and Sundays, and come the summertime, well most people do not take college courses during the summer. And when it comes time for the college students to move back to their college towns, or begin taking classes locally again, the park goes back to weekends only. This is when you will usually see High School students ( minors ) become promoted to supervisors, in which they will hold the title until the end of the operating season. After the college students complete their work time for the season. Most often, when they return the following year with the position already achieved, they have either turned 18 by that point, or they soon will. Following this operating season, if they return, most likely they will be in the college boat, and the cycle starts all over again. This is what I have witnessed in the years that I was working at Kings Island.

mf

• Like 1

Plus, if you notice, Cedar Point imports their workers from all over the country, just look at their nametags. Other than the international workers that Kings Island employs. Kings Island gets pretty much all of their workers from cincinnati/cincinnati suburbs, northern kentucky and dayton/dayton suburbs. All who live within driving distance. This has always worked for the park so there is no reason why they should change now.

• Like 1

I know when I go to college I'd really like to go to a school near a park. I think it would be really cool working in one...But living in somewhat rural Indiana, there's really no opportunity for it. But if it works out for me I will definitely use proximity to a park in my college choices. Although not near as much as things that are more important obviously... :P But yeah, sounds like it would be fun.

• Like 1