Fearfest

StXsteven

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you know why I don't like Circus of Horrors..

Ha Ha it's my favorite.

That's cool theres no problem with that, I just don't like it because it needs a name change to Circus 3D.. theres nothing horror about it haha. Maybe I just still hold a grudge against it because years ago it was frightening, I remember screaming a few times and I'm not a screamer.

Not tryin to start a fight or anything but u need to calm down your ripping ki like no tommorrow... fearfest was really good last year but seriously look what your yelling about

peace,

collin

If I don't who will? I'm just being honest, if it offends someone, then they arn't proud of what it is because if an opinion.. let alone mine.. offends you and you've never even met me.. that means you either know exactly what I'm saying, or your alittle too sensitive.

Have you been to fearfest before last year? Name something it improved on last year, I just want to see what you think.. don't be afraid to back yourself up.

1... Scarzones! Before last year KI virtually had NO scarezones!

2... Line Pass.

3... Better Creepers. Yes, better!

4... Good conjunction and upkeep of themes.

5... Two good shows in Action FX Theatre.

6... Safer.

That's just to name a few! Before last year, Fearfest was very "lack-luster"... The only other good Fearfest was in '00! Last year was a very WELL DONE Fearfest. Yeah their are SOME problems. But their is NO HAUNT in the world that doesn't experience problems.

Remember, KI hasn't been doing events like this for long. Seven years isn't nearly long enough to make it perfect. KI is on the right track though!

Am I proud of Fearfest? Every year! Why... I know what it takes to put on an event like that. I know how much sweat, planning, building, frustration, etc... that it takes! And for KI to pull off a SUCESSFULL event like Fearfest every year is simply amazing.

KI must be doing something right, the crowds get bigger every year! Now, you can go through and nit-pick every little detail... but for what?

Just go, have a good time... forget your "hopes and wishes" and leave your ego at the frontgate! Does every haunt need to be intense? NO! Does every single scare need to make you scream? NO!

Remember, haunted events will invoke all your feelings... fear, terror, laughter, sadness, disgust, etc.

Just go... have a good time.. and don't be so critical. -Hauntguy

I admit the scarezones were a cool touch.. but I meant like new improvements on past haunted houses.

I never saw a line pass or heard about it.. it seems the only people who knew about this pass were media and workers..

better creepers? you mean the kind outside of the haunt? I have to disagree.. in 2002 and 2003 there were alot more, and alot more energetic.

If you mean the kind inside the haunt, I have to disagree. The energy level was gone. The characters seemed bored. There didn't seem to be as many.

You like the shows? Elvira was old first of all, so it's not two. Second of all, funhouse wasn't like a haunted attraction IMO did anyone feel like it was? JW

How was it safer?

The crowds get bigger because it was so family oriented last year. Little kids going on Headless Hollow, Fear Street Nights, and Circus of Horrors 3D. If they said it was fun and not scary, obviously somethings up.

I'm not nitpicking.. I'm talking in general. could go into extreme details about any peticular scene but I haven't done that. What for? What not for? Last year became just too family oriented for me.

Does every haunt need to be intense? Well honestly if not than what for? Go around Cincinnati.. go to any haunt.. I can give you a list if you want.. that are intense. I don't know one single one that isn't.. haunts are made to be scary. If you want a family oriented event go to nick or treat, don't bring down what was an intense haunt.

You said haunted events will invoke all your feelings. Where were any of the feelings you mentioned, when did you experience them? I felt disgust towards Headless Hollow.. thats the only feeling out of the choices you listed that I felt.

Don't be so critical? I guess your not to sure who I am.. haha. I review all of the haunts in the area, I go to Columbus, Dayton, Indiana, Kentucky too. I've only gone to a few in Cleveland and a few in Florida, mostly stick local. Name a haunt I can post my review for it most likely.. I haven't gotten to Dungeons of Delhi or the Spook Coop yet.

Fearfest was my favorite in '02, '03, and '04, and was on my bottom 2 for '05.

So how does a 15 year old kid get around to all these.... pay for these... or even know what their talking about?

Have you ever worked a haunt? Built a haunt? Or even took a backstage tour of a haunt?

There is NO way you can review a haunts detail, quality, or scare (well, maybe scare) without doing any of the things I listed. I have been in this business for 12 years now and like to think I know what I am talking about. Fearfest '05 was the best event since it's first in '00.

Maybe you went to Fearfest on an "off night"... believe me, it happens! Headless Hollow... any new attraction will have it's faults. Remember how much SOB was closed down when it first opened. This can be applied to ANY attraction of ANY kind.

So go to Fearfest this year.... on opening night! That's your best chance of having a great time. -Hauntguy

Better yet, see if you can go on Sneak Preview Night (or as I like to call it, Shriek Preview Night). Last year, there was almost no one there, so we went through every maze they had (a whopping nine, counting cornSTALKERS) at least twice. wink.gif

I can only hope that I can get some better footage of the mazes this year, like get some extended time in a certain spot in a maze, where I won't be seen by regular guests, but I'll still be able to catch them getting the crap scared out of them on film. But I don't think Management would allow it. sad.gif

So how does a 15 year old kid get around to all these.... pay for these... or even know what their talking about?

Have you ever worked a haunt? Built a haunt? Or even took a backstage tour of a haunt?

There is NO way you can review a haunts detail, quality, or scare (well, maybe scare) without doing any of the things I listed. I have been in this business for 12 years now and like to think I know what I am talking about. Fearfest '05 was the best event since it's first in '00.

Maybe you went to Fearfest on an "off night"... believe me, it happens! Headless Hollow... any new attraction will have it's faults. Remember how much SOB was closed down when it first opened. This can be applied to ANY attraction of ANY kind.

So go to Fearfest this year.... on opening night! That's your best chance of having a great time. -Hauntguy

Well my parents drive me and my friends drive me(I hang with an older crowd)

Have I ever worked at a haunt? Well let me ask you this.. am I old enough? I have worked at local ones and ones run by people and stuff like that but I doubt anything you've ever heard of. Have I built a haunt? Well I haven't but I've helped many people with theirs, and a few ones that arn't open anymore.. I help with the hillebrand haunted house sometimes. I take back tours all the time.. I know alot of haunt owners(Mt. Healthy's Haunted Hall, USS Nightmare, etc..) I bet I could get you a backstage tour of those if you'd like.

You can't judge a haunt either since you've worked in it, you have favoritism.. esppecially ones you helped with and ones you know. I can show you a few of your earlier posts that prove so.

But I can easily review a haunts detail, trust me I know how the majority of it works. I'm not saying Fearfest doesn't do work, I'm just saying they did very little for the '05 season that came out looing any good. Especially with how much money KI gets, they should be doing alittle bit more than that.

I don't think I went to fearfest on an off night.. I went on 3 of the 5/6 saturdays open last year.(I think it was 5 but can't be certain)

Headless Hollow.. I don't think you understand my problem with it. Everything is at fault. First off, you get on a train to see a previous war scene or however the legend of sleepy hallow goes, but I saw no props of anything war related on the train, nor in the haunt. Then you get off, and go through the haunt. There was a crate maybe every 6 feet.. but it was a bad idea because there was nowhere for actors to hide but behind the crates so when a crate came up you know right where the actors were located. I do give it Kudos because of the bridge scene, but thats the only thing in the haunt worthwhile. At least I didn't have to wait more than 20 minutes in line for it.

Don't forget SoB is still closed down.. so be careful with your metaphores haha..

Like I sad before its my opinion, you can totally agree and thats why this forum is here, I just think they should bring it back to "thrills and chills" and take away "family oriented" haunted houses. The families need to stick to Nick or Treat and not take over FEAR-FEAR-FEAR(emphasis on FEAR)FEST.

Not tryin to start a fight or anything  but u need to calm down your ripping ki like no tommorrow... fearfest was really good last year  but seriously look what your yelling about

peace,

collin

If I don't who will? I'm just being honest, if it offends someone, then they arn't proud of what it is because if an opinion.. let alone mine.. offends you and you've never even met me.. that means you either know exactly what I'm saying, or your alittle too sensitive.

Have you been to fearfest before last year? Name something it improved on last year, I just want to see what you think.. don't be afraid to back yourself up.

ok im sorry if that came out wierd put all im sayin is that i think we should focus on the positives of fearfest i mean every thing needs work but fearfest is pretty censored.gif good you no.. well w/e

Not tryin to start a fight or anything  but u need to calm down your ripping ki like no tommorrow... fearfest was really good last year  but seriously look what your yelling about

peace,

collin

ok im sorry if that came out wierd put all im sayin is that i think we should focus on the positives of fearfest i mean every thing needs work but fearfest is pretty censored.gif good you no.. well w/e

But if we only focus on positives how can they improve?

I was all positive about fearfest until '05.. I couldn't of imagined a bigger let down.

Sharonwoods haunted village had a few more frightening moments than fearfest.. and it is meant for little kids. I deff. recommend Sharonwoods by the way for you who have kids.. they ttell creepy stories and you go from building to building to hear them. They have a headless horseman on a horse who rides about, and gets off his hrse to chase kids around from time to time.. by far scarier than Headless Hollow.

I'm not saying all of fearfest was bad last year.. but it did disimprove heavily IMO and looks like I'm the only one who thinks so one this board.. but there are MANY who agree with me and you can check that out by looking at local forums.

Well, with Cedar Fair running things now, I highly doubt FearFest will be considered "family-oriented" this year. CF is the king of make-up artistry, making some of the most gruesome-lookin' monsters around, scarier than what Universal can come up with for their Halloween Horror Nights.

I went every weekend except for the last weekend of the event, and I must say only Headless Hollow and Fear Street Nights disappointed me. Well, that and Line Control for PsychoPath. Other than that, I thought last year was the best Fest I had ever been to.

....... blink.gif

....I just thought of something. Now that CF is at the head of the event, is there a possibility for blackouts within the maze as well as the ones at the entrance and exit? Blackouts are a key part of any Halloween Haunt maze, as they stand in certain sections and make certain the line of people coming through remains moving at a constant speed.

Well, with Cedar Fair running things now, I highly doubt FearFest will be considered "family-oriented" this year. CF is the king of make-up artistry, making some of the most gruesome-lookin' monsters around, scarier than what Universal can come up with for their Halloween Horror Nights.

I went every weekend except for the last weekend of the event, and I must say only Headless Hollow and Fear Street Nights disappointed me. Well, that and Line Control for PsychoPath. Other than that, I thought last year was the best Fest I had ever been to.

....... blink.gif

....I just thought of something. Now that CF is at the head of the event, is there a possibility for blackouts within the maze as well as the ones at the entrance and exit? Blackouts are a key part of any Halloween Haunt maze, as they stand in certain sections and make certain the line of people coming through remains moving at a constant speed.

Thats good news, very good news. I never checked out Halloweekends.

You said that Headless Hollow and Fear Street Nights dissapinted you.. and thats all i'm saying. I think the same about Psychopath.. and since they did that its not close to scary any more. If it was the best year in your opinion, why the problem with 3 of 8 haunted houses(excluding Jason and the two movies because they arnt haunted houses, just attractions)

I have no idea on your blackouts question, good question though.

I think 2000 still created the best FearFest yet, even though the additions of the scare zones was excelent last year and Rivertown had an excelent overall theme. I still feel that the 2000 was the best because of the overall transformation of the park. The Torture Tower and Freezer were amazing. I know they cause a lot of congestion around the tower but Torture Tower was very unique and was well worth the wait. Just the elevator ride up was suspenseful enough, not to mention the bloody hand prints on the windows of the elevator. Hopefully KIs FearFest under CF will transform back to its orginal 2000 glory with a more mature audience experience after the sun goes down.

ok on 8/16 i went to ki and looked inside the posible fearfest attractions..

fearstreet building i saw storgage and a flight of stairs?

rivertown building- boxes and boxes and junk and boxes

old rock shop -the most boxes ive ever seen in my life

maze of manddes barn - really dark.. a truck and yet agin boxes!

peace, collin

I've gone to Fear Fest a few times over the years and this is what I thought of last year. Overall I thought the atmosphere outside of the haunts had improved, but inside the haunts I was greatly let down. I expected a lot more and I wasn't scared once. It seemed like they were really short a people last year. CornStalkers seemed dead when I went through, there was at most 3 actors and none of them were scaring people (let alone attempting to), Headless Hollow, should've been caled Scareless Hollow because I saw about 5 actors and what was the point of this haunt? Well they said you'd be in the woods trying to escape the headess horseman, when did he come into the haunt? At the very end and all he did was sit there, Not very scary. And then Psycho Path, the haunt that frow what I had heard was supposed to be the scariest of all the haunts and the one I was looking forward to most of all. Well I finally get in there after some technical difficulties with the lights, and it was not very scary but the best of the night. The movies in the FX theater were mildly entertaining. It may have been an off night, I don't know. But I thought it was a huge let down.

When I went in 2004, the atmosphere outside the haunts wasn't so great, but the haunts actually scared me and seemed well staffed. Overall from my experiences I'd say the advantage goes to 2004, for me at least. But I msut say with all my friends and everything, both years were extremely fun.

This year I hope they can achieve a great atmosphere, even better than 2005 and that the haunts will be as scary as ever. I am really looking forward to Fear Fest, especially with all I've been hearing. I can't wait and I hope to make it out to Fear Fest multiple times this year.

Oh and HauntGuy, I'll keep an eye out for you this year in Rivertown, you'll have to tell me which one it is once they release all the names of the haunts so I can be sure. Anyways hopefully this year is a lot better. I hope they can retrun it to its former greatness and then improve on that.

--Sorry if that's hard to follow, I'm tired. wacko.gif