Son of Beast To Be Partly Rebuilt

You hit the nail right on the head. People will not trust SOB anymore. Therefor, making any mention of how popular it was before and after isnt really going to come into the factor. The only way a normal guest will trust that ride again is by seeing it run with people on it for a long time. Only then will the popularity come back.

Plus, think how much CF just spent on the Paramount parks. Believe it or not, they are probabily pinching pennies right now. Yes, yes I know they make billions a year, however one purchase of $1.24 billion will drain ya for a year. Thats why I believe its more of an economical problem.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote...

Inspectors found a cracked vertical support beam in the double helix part of the coaster the day after the accident. Inspectors say that might have contributed to the big jolt riders described.

Kings Island must now take apart a small section of the ride, including pieces surrounding that cracked beam. Those pieces must be turned over to the state for analysis. Meanwhile, the park would have to rebuild that section and test the new portion under the supervision of an independent engineer hired by the state.

SMALL SECTION!!! REBUILD THAT SECTION!!!!! TEST THE NEW PORTION!!!!!

And you guys have them tearing down the whole thing. Can't anyone read!

^No, please read the artricle, they HAVE to rebuild the section and replace sections that the state wants taken away for analysis, then they may have the re-built sections tested and considered for re-certification under the supervision of an independently contracted state engineer. THE INVESTIGATION IS NOT OVER YET, this is still part of the investigation which HAS NOT RELEASED THE FULL DETAILS OFF THE INCIDENT AS TO WHAT CAUSED THE INCIDENT TO OCCUR, the testing and possible re-opening of the ride can not occur untill the state has finished their investigation.

For purposes of the continuing inspection, part of it needs to be torn down, rebuilt and tested. Then AFTER all that happens they will determine if the ride can reopen or not. After they get that go-ahead from the state - Cedar Fair can determine whether or not to reopen it. But they can't decide one way or another until it is rebuilt and tested. And it will be done - regardless of whether Cedar Fair intends to scrap the ride or reopen it.

Wow this is big news. I will be anticipating what this will change for the ride. It looks like Cedar Fair has finally taken a large toll in keeping the coasters maintained.

This is a very interesting thread, and many respondents have good, thoughtful ideas... however, the implication that CF as a company is more safety conscious than Kings Island's maintenance and engineering staff is an insult.

Rather than invest more money into SOB, I think it should be torn down. The beginning of its demolition can be marked by a media "funeral" like that of a jazz musician in New Orleans with jazz music. After SOB, which received more complains than any other ride at KI, would be gone -a smooth B&M or other large steel coaster could be built in its place. That's just my opinion.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

Oh, and you suggested giving the ride an overhaul and removing the SOB name before reopening it, legend has it that the late great famed Riverview park in Chicago did that when they had coaster incidents. Let the coaster sit SBNO a couple season, then give it a new paint scheme and a new name and reopen it as a new ride!

By overhaul, I meant nearly complete destruction and reconstruction (i.e. Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge; sans name salvaging) of the coaster. Even then, I doubt the public would be completely trusting of another wooden coaster in Sonny's place.

KI was never shy about removing a ride that did not work. The Bat was a great ride, perhaps the best suspended coaster ever built, but even with a chance at rebuiding it, KI knew that public confidence in the ride was low and after four years, they had enough of it.

SOB is a great ride! I imagine that it could either be rebuilt, or demolished entirely. The long term life of a ride is determined by the amount of interest in it, and how valuable is it to maintain. In the past we've seen coasters with very short life spans, some legendary like the Crystal Beach Cyclone. The Cyclone may have been a great ride, but were the injuries and structural unsoundness worth keeping?

I'd hate to see SOB go. I helped open it, watched it rise from the first foundations, but if KI or it's owners feel that SOB is no longer worth the expense or risk, then I couldn't complain. I still miss The Bat, and I trust that whatever decision is made is done with the best interest of KI, CF and more importantly the guests. Should SOB reopen, I have every faith that the proper decision was made and that all stress problems are resolved.

Check out the link to another RCCA coaster with a troubled history, the Rattler, which exists in a much tamer version. I would rather see SOB demolished than have it declawed. Click on the link on the left side regarding the Rattlers Troubled past.

http://searcht.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.j...2Faccidents.htm

cowboy.gif Still a Rivertown Boy!

Even if Cedar Fair management has already given up on the coaster and is going to tear it down its in the best interests of the park and the chain to finish the investigation. Its very important to prove what caused this accident because of the current and future law suits. Also you have to consider the view of the park in the eyes of guests. Accidents at parks will drive down attendance they may be able to improve the image of the park if its found to be due to bad wood or something else beyond the control of the park. I have no idea how insurance is handled on the park but I doubt accidents like the one on Son of Beast can be good.

Even if Cedar Fair management has already given up on the coaster and is going to tear it down its in the best interests of the park and the chain to finish the investigation. Its very important to prove what caused this accident because of the current and future law suits. Also you have to consider the view of the park in the eyes of guests. Accidents at parks will drive down attendance they may be able to improve the image of the park if its found to be due to bad wood or something else beyond the control of the park. I have no idea how insurance is handled on the park but I doubt accidents like the one on Son of Beast can be good.

How could/would bad wood be beyond the control of the park?

Especially since, in this case, the general contractor who built Son of Beast was one Paramount Parks, AND the ride was rehabbed over the last winter, again by one Paramount Parks?

I think Son will re-open in the spring of next year CF wouldnt want those die hard KI fans like my self roaring with complaints about SoB being torn down.

Being a die hard fan of a particular ride will not save it. Even though CF now owns the park, once a decision is made, they will stick to that decision.

Paramount recieved the same kind of complaints for KC and the Eagles, and nothing changed.

If CF wants to spend the money to fix it, then they will. Or they can see the history of the ride and what has already been done to improve it and decide that it is better to throw in the towel and use the land for something else.

We all have to understand, sometimes the decisions about a particular ride are already made, and not by a person or group of people- but by the ride itself (referring to rides like The Bat and Drachen Fire). It is quite possible that there is nothing that can be done to fix SoB's issues. We can speculate that new trains will do it, or more retracking, different wheels etc. But what happens if these things don't work? It is just more time and money spent on a useless task.

I can see Kings Island rebuilding this small part of track to test the ride and make sure that the rest of the wood in that area was not bad. When they get this done they have to test the design of the ride to make sure its safe.

I am not to sure how the design of the ride will hold up when they test it out. Also I guess they will be looking at the trains to see how someone could get hurt like the lady in the law suit.

I think Son will re-open in the spring of next year CF wouldnt want those die hard KI fans like my self roaring with complaints about SoB being torn down.

Being a die hard fan of a particular ride will not save it. Even though CF now owns the park, once a decision is made, they will stick to that decision.

Paramount recieved the same kind of complaints for KC and the Eagles, and nothing changed.

If CF wants to spend the money to fix it, then they will. Or they can see the history of the ride and what has already been done to improve it and decide that it is better to throw in the towel and use the land for something else.

We all have to understand, sometimes the decisions about a particular ride are already made, and not by a person or group of people- but by the ride itself (referring to rides like The Bat and Drachen Fire). It is quite possible that there is nothing that can be done to fix SoB's issues. We can speculate that new trains will do it, or more retracking, different wheels etc. But what happens if these things don't work? It is just more time and money spent on a useless task.

Nah SoB will be rebuilt if they tear it down that would be a stupid mistake of course the flying eagles are gone.. but that was paramount.

I foresee SoB getting rebuilt its a popular attraction long lines always crowed besides didnt they just work on SoB not to long a go.

I foresee SoB getting rebuilt its a popular attraction long lines always crowed besides didnt they just work on SoB not to long a go.

Yes the did do some work rebuiliding the track but it was not in the area that the people got hurt in. Everytime I have been at Kings Island for the past 3 years Son of Beast has been a walk on coaster what long lines are you talking about?

Yes the did do some work rebuiliding the track but it was not in the area that the people got hurt in. Everytime I have been at Kings Island for the past 3 years Son of Beast has been a walk on coaster what long lines are you talking about?

I went on June 6th and that coaster was packed! I really think this SoB issue has been blown outta place with all the news media making coasters out like death traps.

I don't agree. If the Son of Beast incident had occurred in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta or any major city, there would have been far more coverage, and on a continuing basis, than there has been here.

If anything, the news media here has underplayed the situation. You know nothing about this situation other than what you have learned from the media. And there is much more to this than is currently publicly known. The lawsuit, soon--no doubt--to be lawsuitS, will change all of that unless settled.

And in all my years of going to Kings Island, I have NEVER seen Son of Beast packed. Not even when it was only running one train.

Packed is a relative term. Remember, they never added the third train, and in fact this year they had removed one car from each of the two trains they did run.

This saga isn't going to be over in a week or a month. Maybe not even a year or two. . .

Guest kwindshawne
So does anyone have a picture of the section that is being rebuilt?

Hello-

No photos yet, but I did take two-not much film in the camera. I don't know if the rebuilt sections will show on the film, but there are a few sections with new wood on them. Theyhave also covered the exposed train with a tarp. Must be part of the testing the other user was talking about. I was there yesterday. When I get the digital camera again, I will take some updated ones and hopefully get them posted.

This is very interesting.......

Guest kwindshawne

I went on June 6th and that coaster was packed! I really think this SoB issue has been blown outta place with all the news media making coasters out like death traps.

I rode SOB one week before the accident, and it scared the *&^% out of me. I thought it was gonna jump the track. In all the times I have ridden it, I have never had to wait more than one train. I never thought about it before, but that should have been my first clue.....

Guest kwindshawne

I rode SOB one week before the accident, and it scared the *&^% out of me. I thought it was gonna jump the track. In all the times I have ridden it, I have never had to wait more than one train. I never thought about it before, but that should have been my first clue.....

also from a business standpoint, sob is a liability-i wouldn't be surprised if it is removed.