Son of Beast To Be Partly Rebuilt

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Cedar Fair determined if they will rebuild the SOB? What section is being rebuilt? Will they open it before the end of the season? Will it reopen in the Spring of 2007? Will they change the lap bar restraints/cars? I hope they rebuild it and I hope it reopens soon. PKI will not be the same without SOB.

Well the section in question is somewhere in the rosebowl (the first helix). Cedar Fair has not said what they plan to do with the ride. But the State of Ohio has said that before it reopens to the public, the portion of the ride in question must be rebuilt under the supervision of a state hired engineer. I would not look for Son of Beast to reopen any time in the rest of this season.

I found it odd during my trip to PKI on August ninth not to hear SOB... Before, no matter where you were in the park, you could always hear the trains going up the lift, and if you didn't conciously hear it you could at least feel it... I just noticed throughout the day that that was gone and it just made it different, I don't know quite how else to explain it... And I'm all for the return of SOB sometime next year possibly, once it's fixed and 100% safe of course, it was a great ride.

I was planning to visit Labor Day weekend and once in October before the park closes for the year so I can buy my season pass if they don't raise them too much. I love PKI and my favorite wooden coasters are here. Beast and SOB are my top 2 wooden coasters at this park. It won't be the same without SOB being open. I hope it opens in the Spring of 2007 or I will have to find a new #2 wooden coaster. I will miss SOB this season and cry if they decide to close it for good. sad.gifsad.gif

I was planning to visit Labor Day weekend and once in October before the park closes for the year so I can buy my season pass if they don't raise them too much. I love PKI and my favorite wooden coasters are here. Beast and SOB are my top 2 wooden coasters at this park. It won't be the same without SOB being open. I hope it opens in the Spring of 2007 or I will have to find a new #2 wooden coaster. I will miss SOB this season and cry if they decide to close it for good. sad.gifsad.gif

Its SOB your talking about! lol

And until I just read your reply, I didn't realize that some attorney somewhere will not doubt call the ride just that in his closing argument at a trial, if there is one.

I have thought, from the beginning, that SOB was a most unfortunate name choice. You don't see Cedar Fair calling Millennium Force MF. I wonder now, if Son of Beast does reopen if it gets a new name. You can't call it Beast: The Son, either, as that is just BS.

And until I just read your reply, I didn't realize that some attorney somewhere will not doubt call the ride just that in his closing argument at a trial, if there is one.

I have thought, from the beginning, that SOB was a most unfortunate name choice. You don't see Cedar Fair calling Millennium Force MF. I wonder now, if Son of Beast does reopen if it gets a new name. You can't call it Beast: The Son, either, as that is just BS.

Whats wrong with SoB's name... I LOVE it biggrin.gif

Interp, you really don't believe that SOB will ever open again do you?

Mostly I only see it referred to as SOB or SoB at the PKIC web site. SOB was not the name chosen for that ride. At Kings Island the employees call it Son of Beast.

You should have seen the ORIGINAL logo, back in the Barbara Colnar days. Letters on blocks, like children's blocks, with the letters S O B. That one didn't last long. Not even until the ride opened!

I actually thought the logo was cool that way.

Did it never get released that way? I'm not sure how I have seen it if it was not in the promotional marketing.

I think the SOB thing was intentional... maybe a "sounds dirty but isn't" kind of deal...

Ill bring the marshmallows when they light it on fire.  Hope somebody has a really long stick because its going to be a hot one.

How could you say that? They haven't announced that they are closing the Son of Beast. They have announced that it will be partly rebuilt. Have they started on it yet?

Well, they haven`t necessarily announced that it will be rebuilt. The State of Ohio has mandated that if Kings Island wished to operate it again, they first need to dissasemble the area in question and rebuild it before the State can even consider letting them run it again. The deconstruction is to allow the state to conduct its investigation into the accident. Pending the results of the final investigation, will determine how soon the ride will reopen. Unless of course, Cedar Fair decideds not to deal with all the hassle and just remove the ride altogether. The park has been very careful with what they say about the ride.

My guess would be that it was moved Tony. wink.gif

i'll find out what happened when i go into work tomorrow... shut up sparky i didnt know if it was taken off the lift by crane or they did i test cycle if they completed the part of the track that was broken so thats why i asked.

Disassembling part of a roller coaster (wooden or steel) is not hard. It consists of removing sections attached by bolts and nails. The areas that are nailed are pried off, and the areas that are bolted, are obviously just unbolted.

There will be need for a bulldozer unless they may possibly add additional support columns to provide additional support to the area of the ride.

The only reason you will see a crane in that area of the track will be to aid in the removal of the parts of the track, as well as the rebuilding of that part of the track.

Anyways, most of the items I said above were just my hypothesis, but the ways of disassembling the ride were based on facts that I’ve gathered from experience from monitoring the deconstruction of wooden/steel roller coasters, and from speaking to the companies who are usually contracted out to do these types of things.

• 4 weeks later...
Why are you assuming the coaster will ever open to the public again?

Nothing in the article says it will...or that it won't.

As Maureen says, the park wants to be completely satisfied the coaster is safe before reopening it.

The rebuilding may or may not lead to reopening the ride. It's too early to know.

The Son of Beast and The Beast are the BEST rides I have ever ridden. I say they can rebuild it as long as it opens again next season.

Guest kwindshawne
Flight Of The Dead......

As a matter of fact I have ridden SOB many times and find it very rough and unenjoyable. Therfore I won't ride again if it reopens.

Me either.