Kodak Photo Spots!

Gordon Bombay

Does anyone remember back when Kodak sponsored "photo spots" which were wooden markers with the Kodak logo on them places throughout the park as to where good photographic oppopurtunitys were that were good to photogrpah for even the most novice of photographers? I partiuarly remember the one by Vortex off the path from Rivertown to Coney where you can see the rides whole lay out. I know they used to point these out on the old park maps so does anyone else remember where they used to be or can anyone make a list from the old park maps? Did they change around each season and before Kodak sponsored it was there anything similar to this. I would like to see if you fellow PKIC members will help me compile a list of where spots used to be. Please make the lists like this for example:

1999 Park Map Photo Spots:

1)Vortex path from Coney to Rivertown

2)Top Gun exit path

3)Etc.

4)Etc.

5)Etc.

Your help is greatly apprecaite as this helps contribute to historical information and a project Im currently working on to find old areas that were considered photgraphic landmarks by the park in the past and showing how they look today. Old postcard information is good too. Thanks for the help everyone and interest!

And, they were at many major parks. After Kodak stopped sponsoring them, in at least some parks, Fuiji Film took their place, in the exact same locations with similar looking but green and white (instead of Kodak yellow and red) signs. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that this happened at Kings Island, too. And I'm pretty sure I remember one of those Kodak signs at the floral clock.

Speaing of that Floral Thermometer, how did that one work?

Did the landscaping crew set it to whatever the days projected high was, or did it actually have some sort of mechanism that updated it in real time.

IIRC it had red and white flowers that simulated where the mercury would be.

Was acutally blocks of plants that would be taken out and removed based upon what the temperature was. It was very similar to how the calendar works.

Back in days of old - The landscaping crew was tending to the park and the floral displays from dawn until dusk every day.

It was quite an endevor to actually watch the crews work.

And you are allowed to, too! Back when Six Flags owned the park, taking pictures of Superman would get you thrown out of the park, and, if you tried it from outside the park, security would try to have you arrested for trespassing. Why? I have no clue. But it happened, and more than once.

Preposterous!

That's because Six Flags is really really dumb...

And the Floral Calendar, and the Floral Thermometer, and the Huge Floral Basket and the Floral Liberty Bell.

And beginning this year the floral carousel horse is gone!!! Not fun!!

Actually the floral arrangements listed except for the basket are still there. Last Saturday I noticed that the floral clock, bell, and calender were back in full bloom. The horse is still there it's just hidden behind some bushes. I'll try and get pictures of these landscaped arrangements and show them to you on my site.

Bill Yost

And you are allowed to, too! Back when Six Flags owned the park, taking pictures of Superman would get you thrown out of the park, and, if you tried it from outside the park, security would try to have you arrested for trespassing. Why? I have no clue. But it happened, and more than once.

Preposterous!

You couldnt take pictures of the ride yet they allow you to POV?

And you are allowed to, too!  Back when Six Flags owned the park, taking pictures of Superman would get you thrown out of the park, and, if you tried it from outside the park, security would try to have you arrested for trespassing.  Why?  I have no clue.  But it happened, and more than once.

Preposterous!

You couldnt take pictures of the ride yet they allow you to POV?

Nope. They didn't allow that, either, except in controlled media events. That's not to say that some didn't do it, because they did. . .

And the Floral Calendar, and the Floral Thermometer, and the Huge Floral Basket and the Floral Liberty Bell.

And beginning this year the floral carousel horse is gone!!! Not fun!!

Actually the floral arrangements listed except for the basket are still there. Last Saturday I noticed that the floral clock, bell, and calender were back in full bloom. The horse is still there it's just hidden behind some bushes. I'll try and get pictures of these landscaped arrangements and show them to you on my site.

Bill Yost

I was there two weeks ago, and the liberty peace bell was in its place by the carousel.... I'll look tomorrow when I'm up there.

Trust me, I was a carousel / tower sup for 3 years, I look EVERY time I'm there.

There used to be photo spots of the KI&MVRR Train.

- An early spot (70's) was from where Potato Works is now with the view of the water tower, engine and train.

- A spot used to be by the TRTR bldg exits. I believe the vertical posts holding the sign may still be there sans the sign (or at least they were there last year). The angle would be similar to PKIC photo at Engine #12 (edited: Engine #12)

- If there wasn't a photo spot of the trestle from the White Water Canyon exit path, there should have been. For an early view of the trestle, take a look at Trestle pic on PKIC (edited: Trestle)

Kodak was no longer a sponsor of the park by the time TR:TR opened. The posts at the TR:TR exit were advertising the on ride photos from the ride.

Steamhogger, not sure what you did, but the images you linked to in the photo gallery aren`t showing up. I`m assuming that the image you wanted to show up in the Engine #12 link was this one. And the trestle picture was this one.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic...but I just ran across this picture on a website...you can see the Kodak sign on the right.

http://www.chem.pku.edu.cn/sslin/Web_Data/...;s%20Island.JPG

The fountains are pretty nasty...I don't know what year this was taken, but for all of you Paramount haters at least you can give them credit for bringing the fountain back before they left!