Second Son of Beast lawsuit filed

CoastersRZ

MASON - A second lawsuit has been filed against Paramount's Kings Island and its parent company Cedar Fair for a July 9 accident on the Son of Beast roller coaster that sent 27 people to the hospital.

Four Circleville residents filed a common negligence lawsuit Monday in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

For the rest of the article, head on over to The Cincinnati Enquirer`s website.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand how they would even think that they will win a lawsuit. It clearly states on the back of their Season pass and Day tickets that they "Assume all risk of personal injury..." I just think that some of these people are just out there for the attention and to make a fast buck. I am sure most of them are fine. The only ones that should even consider sueing are the ones who were taken to the hospital, and that would just be b/c of the hospital fees. Just my 2 cents.

It doesn't limit the injury though. It just says Personal Injury. What happen on SOB, Personal Injurys. In my book, they are off clear. Everyone who was at the park that day and every day are always taking their own lives into their own hands. You are taking your live into your hands when you walk out of your door and head to the park. Are you going to sue the park b/c you got into an accident on your way to the park? I think not.

I think people are just looking for things to make lawsuits out of, and when they saw this they immeadiatly filed one witout even reading the fact that IT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. or the people who were injured are mad, so they just want attention.

No offence to either of those peoples.

What fact?

Why wouldn't they be mad?

I think people are just looking for things to make lawsuits out of, and when they saw this they immeadiatly filed one witout even reading the fact that IT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. or the people who were injured are mad, so they just want attention.

No offence to either of those peoples.

What fact?

Why wouldn't they be mad?

What Im trying to say is that in every news article I've found it said that the accedent was unpreventable. Also I didn't say they couldnt be mad, I sad they were mad, and filing lawuits, because they were mad at the park, for not seeing this coming.

If I knew more about the extent of the injuries and more about prior issues with SOB I'm certain that either I or Interpreter could give you an idea as far as how much each of these claims will settle for.

And oh yes ..... the park will be paying for these losses.

That's simply a done deal.

If I knew more about the extent of the injuries and more about prior issues with SOB I'm certain that either I or Interpreter could give you an idea as far as how much each of these claims will settle for.

And oh yes ..... the park will be paying for these losses.

How would you or Interpeter be able to tell me how much these claims will go for?

I dont understand how they would even think that they will win a lawsuit. It clearly states on the back of their Season pass and Day tickets that they "Assume all risk of personal injury..." I just think that some of these people are just out there for the attention and to make a fast buck. I am sure most of them are fine. The only ones that should even consider sueing are the ones who were taken to the hospital, and that would just be b/c of the hospital fees. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you a lot of people like to point the finger to make a quick buck sorry people got hurt but thats the risk you take when you enter a ride sorry to say stuff like that happens.

It doesn't limit the injury though. It just says Personal Injury. What happen on SOB, Personal Injurys. In my book, they are off clear. Everyone who was at the park that day and every day are always taking their own lives into their own hands. You are taking your live into your hands when you walk out of your door and head to the park. Are you going to sue the park b/c you got into an accident on your way to the park? I think not.

That might be your opinion, but that doesn't mean that you are correct. Trust me, personal injury or not, they are ON the hook. Structural problems are within reasonable scope of things that the park IS responsible for. Or, the manufacturer at least. Kings Island will be sued and do not have much of a leg to stand on. Plus, we're not talking about an injury on the way to the park. This happened in the park, on their ride, and due to some kind of structural defect. There is reasonable expectation that the structure of the ride be maintained so that it does not result in inuries. Anything less and amusement parks become ghost towns.

PKIbeast is right

when you go to the park yes you are at risk.. but not at your own risk neccesarily.

I don't want to put words in PKIbeasts mouth this is my opinion/thoughts..

They(KI) have people who are suppose to be watching closely and taking good care of the rides to make sure people arn't injured. So when you go to the park your putting your life in their hands not your own.

If you were putting your life into your own hands ki would have you sign a release form when you go into the park like many attractions(examples: Perfect North Slopes, Torrent Falls, etc..)

What Im trying to say is that in every news article I've found it said that the accedent was unpreventable.

And those quotes came from PKI officials. Did you expect them to say "Well we new about it, and didn't care"?

PKI will settle out of court for these injuries- No matter what is said on the back of the ticket.

Why are people sounding shocked or offended that the riders on Son of Beast would file a lawsuit? Yes, I will give you that we do live in the land of frivilous lawsuits, but still what did these people do? They visited an amusement park, not just any amusement park, but a highly rated major amusement park with a great safety record. While at that park, they decide to ride on the rides. During the course of one such ride, about 27 people sustained injuries serious enough to warrant leaving the park to be examined at a hospital. It has not been shown that any of the riders acted in anyway to cause their injuries or to worsen their injuries, they simply rode the ride following all verbal and written directions. They boarded the ride under the beleif that the ride was safe to use, and instead found that not to be the case. Therin lies the basis of a lawsuit.

There is that little thing called "implied warranty" When a person receives a product or service, it is reasonable to expect that that product or service will be fit for use for its inteded purpose.

In other words, when a park opens the ride to the public, it is implied that the ride will be safe to use for its intended purpose.

Sure the tickets and passes say that you assume risk of personal injury, but at the same time the tickets and passes also indicate "No rainchecks, No refunds" Yet, just Sunday the park did in effect issue rainchecks to anybody who wanted one to come back another day. Put another way, if the park could get off sott free with a legal disclaimer, then why would they be paying the hefty preimiums on millions of dollars in ride liability insurance. I'd think that the firm that insured Son of Beast as an amusement ride will be the ones paying off the claims, which will probably be passed back to the park in the form of higher ride liability premiums

* Note: none of the above is intended or implied to be legal opinion. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

I dont understand how they would even think that they will win a lawsuit.  It clearly states on the back of their Season pass and Day tickets that they "Assume all risk of personal injury..."  I just think that some of these people are just out there for the attention and to make a fast buck.  I am sure most of them are fine.  The only ones that should even consider sueing are the ones who were taken to the hospital, and that would just be b/c of the hospital fees.  Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you a lot of people like to point the finger to make a quick buck sorry people got hurt but thats the risk you take when you enter a ride sorry to say stuff like that happens.

Lets say you don't live with your mom and have kids, a house to pay for, a car to pay for and PKI season pass on your credit card. You get injured on SOB and can't work, what are you going to do?

Lets say you don't live with your mom and have kids, a house to pay for, a car to pay for and PKI season pass on you credit card. You get injured on SOB and can't work, what are you going to do?

Best. Post. Ever!

About time someone posts something like this...

Lets say you don't live with your mom and have kids, a house to pay for, a car to pay for and PKI season pass on you credit card. You get injured on SOB and can't work, what are you going to do?

Best. Post. Ever!

Lets say some of us do have a car payment, dont live with our parents, have to pay for college & have a PKI season pass on our credit card.

I'll stick with my view..I wouldnt sue I know censored.gif happens and I understand that.

I'd find another way out thank you very much.

Best. Post. Ever!

Lets say some of us do have a car payment, dont live with our parents, have to pay for college & have a PKI season pass on our credit card.

I'll stick with my view..I wouldnt sue I know censored.gif happens and I understand that.

I'm with Scooby on this one.

Best. Post. Ever!

I'm with Scooby on this one.

Living on the streets in a box. The kids are not going to like it. laugh.gif

And oh yes .....  the park will be paying for these losses. 

How would you or Interpeter be able to tell me how much these claims will go for?

These issues settle in certain ranges based upon the severity of injury and the nature of the loss.

I do this all day long. It's pretty much a matter that ya have a general idea of how much any loss will settle for.

Best. Post. Ever!

God Love You!

I want every one of my insureds to only be involved in losses with you!

I'll close those injury claims down right now! <G>

Best. Post. Ever!

God Love You!

I want every one of my insureds to only be involved in losses with you!

I'll close those injury claims down right now! <G>

In my defense I have a rich family wink.gif thats my other way out biggrin.gif

In my defense I have a rich family wink.gif thats my other way out  biggrin.gif

I've found that just as many poor or working class folk file claims as those that are wealthy.

Generally the wealthy just make a bigger deal out of things and whine a lot more.

Really you would be surprised laugh.gif I wouldnt label people if I were you!

You know what I find it funny how people point the finger and how people are all ways wanting money its not Kings Islands fault SoB ''broke'' so why take it out on them?

In my defense I have a rich family wink.gif thats my other way out  biggrin.gif

I've found that just as many poor or working class folk file claims as those that are wealthy.

Generally the wealthy just make a bigger deal out of things and whine a lot more.

Really you would be surprised laugh.gif I wouldnt label people if I were you!

You know what I find it funny how people point the finger and how people are all ways wanting money its not Kings Islands fault SoB ''broke'' so why take it out on them?

Who is at fault if not the park?

KI is at fault since they purchased the ride. People HAVE been hurt on it before, KI's seems to have utter failure on fixing this ride. It was a danger before, and it is now.

Look I'm not saying KI is to blame, I been on this site long enough to know that.. and I read what you guys are saying but think about that comment posted^ people were being hurt, and it finally got worse to where every person on the train got hurt.

Now if wood did split, I don't know and I don't want to make any accusations here but still thats the common peoples eye.. everyone who lives around here who goes to pki at least once a year knows people get hurt on it, so people think its KI' fault for not double checking it that day.

Maybe it was a freak thing, but I don't know that, most people don't know that.

But what I do know, and what many others do know is SoB is at KI, and people have been hurt on it before.