Son of Beast Testing 8/18/06

PKIVortex

If you honestly think that legal coucil is going to allow SOB to operate this year or quite possibly every again; you don't understand the nature of the situation that the park finds itself in.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but why are you so certain of this? Rides that people have been injured and even died on have reopened before. Two Beast trains collided five years ago, sending people to the hospital, and it reopened.

Because I can not think of any other ride that has had as troubled of a past as Son of Beast, been subject to such extensive and costly repairs, had such a poor operating record and then resulted in a serious loss - and then continute to operate.

The mere fact that if there were to be another accident on Son of Beast of a similar nature it would be incredibly damaging to the park financially. The mere fact is that they may be placed into a situation that the insurance on this ride would be exhorbitant at this point to maintain.

May I introduce you to Perilous Plunge at Knott's Berry Farm:

http://www.knotts.com/park/tour/brdwalk/plunge.shtml

http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=431

does that ride hold a record? I put it in the search engine and looked at pics.. it looks intense. I failed to read the article, does it say how those people died? If not do you know how?

Edit: I knew someone died, sorry for my ignorance, I didn't know it was just 1 person, i figured maybe a boatcapsized somehow or something.

Hmmm I just noticed something in my pics.  Look at the first one.  It looks as if the side of the car in certain seats have been removed.  You can see it in the first and third car.  I wonder what that is?

I think that the ride should be open real soon. biggrin.gif Herb Sharp

Hey Herb - long time no see. Glad to see you finally signed up. Have to agree with you on that one. Have fun here at PKICentral - the most fun place in the Galaxy, outside of the Mos Eisley Cantina!

By all accounts, the boy was profoundly handicapped, and somehow slipped between the space between the restraint and the ride body. After that incident, seat belts were added to drop rides that did not already have them.

See also:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/...082499_01.shtml

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1999/08/2...closed_for.html

The drop zone ride was sad sad.gif it wasnt the ride fault tho, the parents made the kid get on and he didnt want to, when they got to the top, he was struggling to get out and he was freaken out to, and he of corse fell to his death, I wounder how the parents felt.

His parents were and probably are still destroyed.

Imagine how the person would feel that makes the decision to open SoB to the public and there is another accident.

The drop zone ride was sad sad.gif it wasnt the ride fault tho, the parents made the kid get on and he didnt want to, when they got to the top, he was struggling to get out and he was freaken out to, and he of corse fell to his death, I wounder how the parents felt.

Actually the Kid rode the ride before. I remember reading that in one of the articles, it was one of the his favorite rides.

The kid I was told had autism, I have a 17 year old brother that has autism. I am guessing if the kid rode the ride previously, he most likely had a hissy fit on the ride the time he died. My brother had a fit at KI last time he was there due to tthe lack of his favorite stage shows and he goes more for shows and the train and hates coasters. Good thing he hates coasters because he too tall for them, and if he was denied a ride, he beat the snot (literaly) outta the operators like he did at DW. Fits happen but something usually triggers it.

Actually the Kid rode the ride before. I remember reading that in one of the articles, it was one of the his favorite rides.

I don't think he did, becuase the parents even said that he havn't before, and he was so scared and he freak out. He wanted off the ride. and he slipp threw the restraint...we all know what happen next.

But will the genral public ride it?  The ride will probably have low ridership now because of the accident.  People aren't wanting to ride it because they think that they'll get hurt too.  Look at FoF, before the modifications from OTSR to lapbars it had low ridership. 

To me Ceadr Fair has 2 options for this ride:

1. Modify the whole ride to make it enjoyable-ex. Intamin's prefabricated track and better trains

2. Tear it down and build a more reliable coaster-B&M, Chance-Morgan Manufacturing, or Intamin hyper coasters

Son of Beast is the only wooden coaster in the USA with a loop. The size is massive, speed intense, and Paramount Kings Island wouldn't be the same without Son of Beast. I hope they are going to fix the trains locking bar it's too high on the chest and very uncomfortable. Once the coaster is tested and fixed people will forget about the accident and ride it again. It's just gossip right now because Cedar Fair hasn't released any information since the accident about the Son of Beast. I hope they don't tear it down. I would rather see a rebuilt coaster of Son of Beast then a hyper coaster. We need variety in amusement parks or people will not visit them if they all are alike.

I don't think he did, becuase the parents even said that he havn't before, and he was so scared and he freak out. He wanted off the ride. and he slipp threw the restraint...we all know what happen next.

Admiral Ackbar throws dictionary at Lion Sleeps Tonight - hitting the Lion in the head and thus causing him to fall asleep, thereby preventing further posts until such time as above mentioned Lion regains consciousness. cowboy.gif