The CORE

peteytherocker

Honestly though I am glad the P has been dropped from PKI because Paramount is honestly the king of suck fest films. How many more rides would they have been able to theme to Paramount movies??? If you look at what they have put out recently and whats coming out in the future there are very few that were box office success. Of those even less that would translate in to a themed ride. Glad with Cedar Fair we wont need to put up with these crappy movie themed rides. Especially one themed after the censored.gif Core

Well, if you want to be technical, the P has not yet been dropped from PKI. Yeah, they are no longer owned by Paramount, but Cedar Fair has not said whether or not they intend to drop the Paramount moniker after this season. I believe that they will. The only indication that Cedar Fair has given is that they are considering renewing the Nick license agreement and are considering not utilizing the full ten year agreement with Paramount. So while they might make the name simply KI again next year, I doubt we see much in changes in renaming/retheming rides that are already Paramount related.

Well, that and the fact that only temporary season pass cards are being issued at the former "Paramount Parks" Cedar Fair Parks. I can see in my mind's eye stacks and stacks of season pass blanks that said Paramount's Name of Park on them, and a Mr. Kinzel who said: "I don't care what it costs us or how long it takes, I don't want to use THOSE!" Remember, I said I can see in my mind's eye...I don't know that is what happened, but I bet something similar did.

^

I would agree with that completely. Seems like something along those lines did happen. I honestly dont expect CedarFair to keep the Paramount name or theme for very long. They didn't keep any signs of the SixFlags or Warner Brothers theme at GL. Keep Nick but thats it.

I honestly think that hurried yet thorough change, which CF had no choice to make, is part of GL's problems today. I honestly hope the park can come out of it, because it is a truly beatufil and fun park.

I think we will see the same thorough changes at KI, but will not be as hurried as it was a GL.

For one thing what I'm about to say isnt bashing Kings Island it's bashing Paramount!

I remember when Nick Universe was annouced and they said that for Spongebob's Bikni bottom bash that guests would enter spongebob's pineapple house and exit squidwards tiki island house.Now can anyone PLEASE tell me where is squidwards house? I told my nephew about that attraction and when I took him this summer he loved the attraction but he kept asking about squidwards house!

Did Paramount got cheap on the kids?

Paramount is the absolute king of Crap Movies. They use to be a leader in block busters, but now they aren't even average. Paramount I think has a lot of problems. Everything from subpar movies to the inability to run themeparks. Honestly we may be seeing the decline of Paramount is this is just the begining.

Paramount is the absolute king of Crap Movies.  They use to be a leader in block busters, but now they aren't even average.  Paramount I think has a lot of problems.  Everything from subpar movies to the inability to run themeparks.  Honestly we may be seeing the decline of Paramount is this is just the begining.

...of course, Parmount hasn't been an independent entity since the early/mid 90s. Since then, it's been one of the many units of Viacom. (And, of course, the parks got shuffled off to CBS as part of the recent split...)

While I think we can all find things to fault Paramount/Viacom/CBS's running of the parks (I have my own personal list wink.gif ), and for all of Viacom's problems (crappy movies, etc.), I don't think most analysts would agree with the assessment of their "inability to run themeparks." One of the things that came out during the 8K disclosures when CF was finalizing the acquisition, was that the theme park arm of the business was pretty darn healthy, and park management was pretty effective...consistently delivering improved revenues, income, and attendance. Granted, their per caps and margins weren't as good as Cedar Fair, but for a company (Viacom) whose theme park business only accounted for 5-7% of annual revenues, they ran a pretty tight ship on the business side of things. http://biz.yahoo.com/e/060616/fun8-k.html And, of course remember, Paramount Parks sold at the very top of the sale price estimates...the bidders obviously perceived a valuable product...unlike the attempted sale of SF six months earlier that failed to attract even the minimum considered bid.

I think the biggest problem after Viacom came into the picture in '94 was that management had absolutely no vision as to how the theme parks could be leveraged to provide synergistic opportunities throughout the whole organization. (Which is pretty dumb, considering they had Disney to look to as a model.) I think that's evidenced by how the parks got passed around from division to division (Blockbuster, MTV Networks, and finally CBS...) It's almost like Sumner Redstone ever really considered the parks a "real" business. For that, I think we're fortunate that a company that does NOTHING BUT parks now owns KI. (IMHO, the only better result from the enthusiast standpoint would have been for BEC to purchase the parks...)

The media/entertainment segment as a whole has some issues right now (see Dick Parsons' ongoing battles at TW for evidence of that), and Viacom certainly has their fair share. In fact, right now, Disney seems to be the only bright spot in the segment...and just remember how recently people were mourning its results. As Michael Eisner was fond of saying..."it only takes one good TV show and a few good movies to turn things around."

Yeah it is pretty obvious that Paramount Parks could turn profit, because they cut back on many things that hurt the estethic value of the park. For example, who needs landscaping, screw painting rides or fixing up their stations and ques, and also making cuts on attraction. Hence the problems with IJ:ST

Paramount parks did just enough to make the experience pleasent, the rides good, and the park enjoyable, but where did they ever excell? Nowhere, because they only did enough.