Maverick Announced

Does anyone else agree that it seems CP took some tips from IJST for this ride? I mean, look at the comparison...

1) Ride focused on theming rather than speed and height

2) 12 person trains

3) Launch in the middle of the ride

It looks like CF knew that IJST had potential, and fixed some of the issues that IJ has had (IE, more trains to make up for shorter trains, less maintenance needed for theming, faster launch mid-ride).

I doubt IJST crossed their minds for this ride.

For one, the ride isn't "focused" on theming. They have theming, but that's mainly because it's in the western part of the park so they made the wise decision not to just throw a steel coaster in there that would be an eyesore to the already established theming. It's not like taking the rocky bits out of the ride would make it horrible, they just add to the fun.

And yeah, for once they didn't go for height, but this ride is still about speed. Compared to a 120 mph TTD, yeah this isn't that fast, but how many rides at PKI hit 70 mph? That's still fast.

I'm sure the seats per train decision was a physics-based conclusion as to how many seats per train would be the best fit, weight-wise, on the layout for a more balanced ride through the loops and hills.

The launch in the middle of the ride? Yeah, they totally took that from IJST, lol.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Cedar Point this is considerd focused on theming, because if you look at their other coasters there is very little theming. Honestly they have always been put in a twisted mass of steel or wood do some landscaping and you have a new ride. This is really their first attempt since Disaster Transport to theme a ride. I don't count TTD as being themed because that was just the trains and a drag christmas tree. This is truly a ride focused on theming for Cedar Point.

IJST sucks....the only people who copied the idea was Canada's Wonderland, they built the exact same lame non-working ride with NO changes from KI's IJST.

Makes me soo happy that Cedar Fair got rid of the Paramount plague...

Uh, Wonderland's and Kings Island's versions of IJST were built at the same time. Neither KI nor CWo was in charge of building or designing the rides. Paramount Parks made those decisions.

Kings Dominion's opened this year. And it's not a copy. The effects WORK.

Thats just it. Millennium Force and Dragster went for records. This doesn't. But it looks intense and FUN. Voyage at Holiday World has zero world records - and it knocks your socks off! So you don't have to be the biggest fastest or longest to be a great ride.

Now IJST tried to accomplish this - except they didn't deliver the effects they promised at first. Now most of the general public didn't even know about these effects - so they didn't miss them - and that's fine. The problem is that besides the missing effects - the ride isn't intense (except for the helix), it isn't all that exciting, and the only fun parts of it are theme related - like the cop car dodge and helicopter scene. And even that gets ruined when for whatever reason - like the crew not working fast enough - the train sets up in the helicopter scene - and can't go into the tunnel till the block ahead is clear.

The launch in the middle of the ride? Yeah, they totally took that from IJST, lol.

If CP took the mid launch idea from anything it would be Volcano at PKD- another Intamin coaster.

I was surprised that it did cost $21 million. I was expecting a decent coaster for a decent price. I'm sure Maverick will be a really good coaster, but for $4 million less than MF, it seems that it may be overpriced.

But heck, who the heck am I? I really don't know crap about the costs of installing a coaster. I just know how to ride them! biggrin.gif

I am really excited about this coaster even though I was expecting a world breaker but I dont give a s*** as long as it has good speed, inversions and airtime. Theming I dont care about.

Now I completly disagree with the last part of your post there. If you take away all of Maverick's themeing it wouldn't appear to be nearly as good of a ride. Those quick switches from banking right to left after the first drop wouldn't be half of what they appear to be with the themeing. The fake rocks will make the ride seem faster and more intense and the water feature under the two corkscrews just looks really cool. Also that heartline roll looks much better surrounded by rocks than it would just over grass. Maverick is a coaster that doesn't look like it necessarily needed themeing, but the themeing will make this coaster a step above in my opinion.

I have a feeling that this ride my become my new favorite coaster at CP. Gemini has long been my favorite even after Raptor, MF, and TTD have been built. Maverick appears to have all the components to become one of my favorite steel coasters, if not the overall favorite.

Yes such a small ride needs plenty of theming to make it a better ride take Italian Job for instance that ride would be a peice of crap if the didn't put all of that theming in, and even though Flight of Fear doesn't have to much but a few lights in the spaghetti bowl it has it's own way of raising the suspense.

Take a deep breath dude. That was a lot for one sentence. smile.gif

I don't count TTD as being themed because that was just the trains and a drag christmas tree.  This is truly a ride focused on theming for Cedar Point.

How about the bleachers, guard rails and "Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! " announcements? For the Southern Ohio people who are not familiar, the guy who does that voice has been doing radio/TV commercials using that same voice for 20+ years for Norwalk Raceway Park (a drag race park) in the area, so that adds to the theming for the Northerners.

CP is not a theme park. Never has been, never will be. Although they have some rides that have themeing (DT & TTD) comparing both parks as far as themeing is like matching apples and oranges. TTD's themeing basically went out the window when one of the large tires broke off and ended up landing in the pond near the Iron Dragon pretzel. As a safety precaution, this themeing was removed. The DT themeing was an attempt to make a mediocre ride (Avalanche Run) better with less than stellar results, hence the reason why this themeing has not been maintained.

Kings Island was not a theme park before Paramount took over. Once Paramount bought the park and tried to make it a theme park to promote their own movies, they quickly found out that it took more than just the initial year to maintain themeing. It required more money and time than was obviously alotted.

Huh?

Oktoberfest?

Rivertown?

The Happy Land of Hanna Barbera?

Coney Mall?

Lion Country Safari?

Kings Island was not a theme park BEFORE Paramount took over?

I beg to differ.

If anything, Paramount removed most of the theming from the park, and randomly dropped incongruous things just anywhere.

As for Voyage not breaking any records, it was intended to have the steepest drop of any wooden coaster. But, before it was constructed, there was this bull thing announced up in some little park in New Jersey. With a 76 degree first drop. Ole, Ole!

Kings Island was not a theme park BEFORE Paramount took over?

No it was not.

How does a Beast fit in with Rivertown?

How does a Sceamin Demon fit in with Lion Country Safari?

How does a Racer fit in with Coney mall?

How does a Bat fit in with Coney mall?

How does a Beastie fit in with Hanna Barbarra land?

How does Thunder Road fit in with Lion Country Safari?

The list goes on...

Every park has some type of "Rivertown" area, as well as a main midway, and a themed children's area etc. Having these named areas help with new people entering the park locate where they are at using the handy park map given to them at the park entrance.

If having an area with a name is considered it being themed, than in your opinion, you are right. But considering all the other posts were referring to the themeing of rides, comparing the naming of certain areas of a park as themeing is not what I was referring to.

Where is Rivertown at Holiday World? At Six Flags Great Adventure? At Six Flags New England? At Beech Bend? At Camden Park? At Indiana Beach?

Well?

For that matter, where is the main midway at Holiday World?

And what is Thunder Road (a coaster at Carowinds) doing in a Lion Country Safari??

Well ok, maybe not EVERY park, but I'm sure you understood the meaning.

And my mentioning Thunder Road as referring to KI's original name for Top Gun. It was changed after Paramount bought the park in 1993. I figured you would have known that.

Well?

You can see this in PKICentral's timeline. Here is the link for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.pkicentral.com/parkinfo/history/timeline.php

No it was not.

How does a Beast fit in with Rivertown?

How does a Sceamin Demon fit in with Lion Country Safari?

How does a Racer fit in with Coney mall?

How does a Bat fit in with Coney mall?

How does a Beastie fit in with Hanna Barbarra land?

How does Thunder Road fit in with Lion Country Safari?

The list goes on...

Every park has some type of "Rivertown" area, as well as a main midway, and a themed children's area etc.  Having these named areas help with new people entering the park locate where they are at using the handy park map given to them at the park entrance.

If having an area with a name is considered it being themed, than in your opinion, you are right.  But considering all the other posts were referring to the themeing of rides, comparing the naming of certain areas of a park as themeing is not what I was referring to.

Yeah, I have to go with Interpreter here, Kings Island has always been a theme park.

The "park" consists of "areas" and if those "areas" are themed then the "park" is a theme park. It doesn't matter if the rides aren't all consistent with their location within the themed areas, they're still considered themed areas. Kings Island has not been the best park in the world with putting the right rides in the right areas for which they are themed, but you can't say Paramount did much better. Paramount coming in and tacking their lousy movie names to rides does not make the park a theme park, it just disrupts the already established theming.

And The Beast certainly is more appropriate in Rivertown than a ride like, say, TR:TR. Don't forget, The Beast used to be above a pond with its neat wooden Mill look (which still exists). It's got Rivertown written all over it, right down to the outhouse next to the station.

And anything can fit into the Coney Mall theming, as it's supposed to take after the old Boardwalk amusement areas where all kinds of rides (old fashioned and state-of-the-art, especially out-and-back coasters) were prevalent.

^

^

^

Perfectly stated, especially about Coney Mall.

The only way that TR:TR could fit in better with RiverTown is to transform that area in to some like Adventure Village or Adventure Trail. A theme like that would help tie TR:TR in with Beast, WWC and the train. Could have like Excavation sites, safari outposts, The Beast observation center and other things like that.

Beastie wasnt that coaster called ''Scooby-Doo''? I always wondered why was Phantom Theater in Hanna-Barbera Land!

That's right, it was called the Scoobie Doo originally. Another themed ride in the right location.

Not sure when they moved it on the map, but now the ride that was Phantom Theater is part of International Street. Originally it too was an HB ride when it was the Enchanted Voyage and then the Smurf's Enchanted Voyage so it was appropriate then.

Really? Because I always seen kids scared to death to go into Phantom Theater I never understood why it was in HBL It wasnt scary I think most pre-teens enjoyed it when it was in its prime but little kids thats whole other ball game.

Klockster- Really? I know that Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo 2:Monsters Unleashed are have/will be shown on Nick before anyother network.