PKICentral.com remembers Ronald Reagan

We hope you spent alittle bit of your time today to remember Ronald Reagan. For those who log onto PKIC straight to to forums. We had a tribute to Mr. Reagan on the home page.

For those who didn't see it it is available here.

I will give him respect since he has passed, but I do not think he was a great president. My state's unemployment was extremely high the entire length of his two terms. And, even though it was not proven to include him personally, in one of his terms his people sold illegal weapons to Iran. Like I said, I will give him respect due to all that pass away, but no respect on the way he ran this country. I guess it should not be unexpected that people remember him so fondly because we tend to remember things in our past as better than they actually were.

I understand how you feel! Because of our president now...I was laid off and now I cant find a job!

He will be missed but I totally agree with PKIBeast!

Wow wow wow... it's not the president's fault that you guys got layed off. Believe it or not, the way economy is running is totally determined by how the presidency before ran the economy... even at that, you can't blame the president for the economy since that's the one thing that he really doesn't have entire control over... that's the Fed. Don't like the status of your working environment, blame Allen Greenspan, not the president. It's a rather ignorant and uneducated thing to blame the president for the economy, but hey, most liberals don't know any better I guess.

Don't like the status of your working environment, blame Allen Greenspan, not the president.

First, I never said that I was laid off. I was in high school when he was president...I'm not that old. Second, if it is not the fault of the president, then why would it be such an issue with every election? Especially in the current election. You see major ads by both Republicans and Democrats concerning job loss overseas. So, you see, it is not ignorant or uneducated. You just made a lot of assumptions. I suppose you believe Clinton is the only one to blame when it comes to the attacks on the twin towers? Guess what? The Bush family has had business dealings with Bin Laden long before Clinton was in office. Also, why was it that relatives of Bin Laden were airlifted out of this country the day after 9/11 when no one was supposed to be flying? And, did you know George W. Bush's grades were not good enough to get him into the great colleges he attended? His daddy's money got him in. If anybody else had applied with those grades, they would have been turned down. You can find this all on-line.

Guys, come on, if you're going to say something negative then keep it to yourself. This is still the week of mourning (until 12:00 tonight), can't you guys just be nice? I mean hell, the poor guy is dead, leaving his wife and family behind. Give him some respect.

Don't like the status of your working environment, blame Allen Greenspan, not the president.

First, I never said that I was laid off. I was in high school when he was president...I'm not that old. Second, if it is not the fault of the president, then why would it be such an issue with every election? Especially in the current election. You see major ads by both Republicans and Democrats concerning job loss overseas. So, you see, it is not ignorant or uneducated. You just made a lot of assumptions. I suppose you believe Clinton is the only one to blame when it comes to the attacks on the twin towers? Guess what? The Bush family has had business dealings with Bin Laden long before Clinton was in office. Also, why was it that relatives of Bin Laden were airlifted out of this country the day after 9/11 when no one was supposed to be flying? And, did you know George W. Bush's grades were not good enough to get him into the great colleges he attended? His daddy's money got him in. If anybody else had applied with those grades, they would have been turned down. You can find this all on-line.

<<First, I never said that I was laid off. I was in high school when he was president...>>

I'm sure it's the fault of the commander in chief that you couldn't find a job flipping burgers or pumping gas.

<< Second, if it is not the fault of the president, then why would it be such an issue with every election? Especially in the current election. >>

Why is anything an issue when it comes to an election? Any issue has to pass through congress. It's really all just propaganda. I mean, why attack the president's personal life? Clinton tried pot but 'did not inhale', but haven't most people? I mean, I'll be the first to admit that it was brave, but he was attacked for it. It's all just mudslinging.

<<You see major ads by both Republicans and Democrats concerning job loss overseas. >>

The term you want to coin is outsourcing, but it's not the issue at all the the general public thinks it is. Yeah, sometimes job go overseas, and it's terrible that American jobs are lost due to it, but other countries outsource to America as well. I mean, I live about five minutes away from the Toyota Crpt headquarters. That's a Japanese company, but they outsourced their executive branch to this area. Countries are reliant on one another, and if companies didn't spread overseas, it would ultimately be bad for the economy.

<< So, you see, it is not ignorant or uneducated. >>

Don't take anything I said on the post as a personal attack on you, that wasn't the intention. People are rarely told the truth, especially in politics. It's not uncommon at all for people to blame the president for the economy, although that's the thing he has the least control over. I mean, blame him for the war if you want, attack him for his personal life, make fun of his Paris Hilton-wannabe daughters, but the economy is something that the president has very loose control over.

<< I suppose you believe Clinton is the only one to blame when it comes to the attacks on the twin towers?>>

No, 9/11 was something terrible, but it was bound to happen. I blame the American belief that we are invincible. That's why it was able to be carried out. A thousand things went wrong on top of a thousand miscommunications. Also, if you were told that they were going to use jumbo jets as missiles to attack NYC before it happened, you'd probably think that was ridiculous too.

<< Also, why was it that relatives of Bin Laden were airlifted out of this country the day after 9/11 when no one was supposed to be flying? >>

I am aware of that. The US government put a halt to flying and they were free to make exceptions as they pleased. Everyone suspected that Osama was to blame for it, so the American government had the obligation to protect his family (innocent until proven guilty). Also, don't you think that if it were a big conspiracy, they would have left the country BEFORE 9/11 instead of just hours afterwards? That's another assumption that people make--that GW was trying to protect the family for a personal reason, but don't you think the CIA could come up with something better than that?

<< The Bush family has had business dealings with Bin Laden long before Clinton was in office. >>

Well know fact. Then again, if I sell a guy a car and he uses it in a drive by, am I part of the crime?

<<And, did you know George W. Bush's grades were not good enough to get him into the great colleges he attended? His daddy's money got him in. If anybody else had applied with those grades, they would have been turned down.>>

I don't want to sit here and defend Bush. I mean, he's not the greatest president that we've ever had. As far as grades go, how do you think 90% of the people get into ivy league colleges? I can tell you it's not the grades. It's donations by the parents. On that token, do grades really determine how smart you are? I mean, Einstein was the greatest physicist of the 20th century and he failed highschool math.

Anyway, while I have your attention, this goes out to all of the brilliant thinkers who say that Bush 'cheated' in the election. How the hell do you cheat at an election?

Now, one thing I've heard involves the Florida Supreme Court (as you know, W's brother is the governor of Florida), since Gov. Bush appointed the supreme court there, he OBVIOUSLY cheated. First of all, do you honestly think that they would some how screw up counting ballots in favor of Bush? Are these guys not under oath? Ok--you can argue that at will, but here's the really hairy side. The election came down to the ballot count in Palm Cty, Florida, and who brought the election to the supreme court there? Mr. Al Gore. Do you really think that Gore would help Bush cheat? On that same token, if it had been a tie, then do you know how they would have chosen the president? The House would vote on it, if they tie, then the vice president would have made the final decision, and of course, the vice president was Al Gore. I wonder who he would have chosen... :huh: Now, one thing that I can tell you is that scenario happened, and Gore had won, the same people who attack W saying that he cheated would be saying the same about Gore.

It's easy to blame the president for anything that's wrong. I mean, ask any disgruntled employee at work who's to blame for their problems and they'll blame the boss. It's just a simple thing to do. I can tell you that W has a lot more power through his riches than from his presidency.

Regards,

Ryan

Mod note -- feel free to state your though in this thread, but keep it tasteful/thought out/intelligent or I'm going to have to end up closing the thread. Keep the thread an intelligent argument because it could turn nasty and people could get banned, it's up to all of you.

I will give him respect since he has passed, but I do not think he was a great president.  My state's unemployment was extremely high the entire length of his two terms.  And, even though it was not proven to include him personally, in one of his terms his people sold illegal weapons to Iran.  Like I said, I will give him respect due to all that pass away, but no respect on the way he ran this country.  I guess it should not be unexpected that people remember him so fondly because we tend to remember things in our past as better than they actually were.

Oh yeah, your totally right, I mean, all he did was end the Cold War, show respect to all around him and the office, and brought America out of an economic disaster. He was a great president, who respected those around him. He never took off his suit coat in the oval office out of respect for the presidency, and always thanked his helicopter pilot. It sickens me that only a few years later Clinton takes office and never salutes military officials and does what he did in the oval office. So don't say that Reagan will only be remembered now that he's passed away, because he will be remembered for being the good president and good man he was.

And yes, I proudly support Bush and feel John Kerry is only a sad pawn of the Democratic party who is meant to lose, so that Hilary Clinton can attempt to take office in 2008.

Ryan Adams

Proud Republican

I never attempted to get a job in high school, so ok. I was referring to the people whom were looking for work. You don't have to have a job or be looking for one to know when the job market is bad. Also, Reagan cannot take credit for ending the cold war. You can credit Gorbachev (sp?) for that. Regan escalated the cold war if anything. The only other time we have come that close to a nuclear war was when Kennedy was in office with the nukes over in Cuba.

Also, if you were told that they were going to use jumbo jets as missiles to attack NYC before it happened, you'd probably think that was ridiculous too.

Actually, history tells us that terrorists have often used planes, maybe not to crash them into anything, but definitely many, many highjackings. It was only a matter of time before some extremist group did use the jumbo jets for something of the like.

Well know fact. Then again, if I sell a guy a car and he uses it in a drive by, am I part of the crime?

You are if you knew of his intent. Maybe Bin Laden said he would never turn on us, but what made us believe it? He already tried to destroy the towers once. It is also sickening that it was CIA money that funded Al Qaeda and trained their people. I know that it was used to fight off the Russians, but now it makes me wonder if maybe the Russians were on to something or knew something we didn't.

Sorry, I should not have been so sensitive and defensive, I apologize. But, it still does not change my opinion of Regan.