Scarowinds Announced!

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Sept. 18, 2006) – Guests at the largest Halloween event in the Carolinas this year will experience Paramount’s Carowinds version of the seven deadly sins as Scarowinds features seven “sin-sational†attractions, each daring guests to experience the temptations of evil that lurk in the dark every Friday and Saturday night from 7 p.m. – Midnight, Sept 29. – Oct. 28, plus Sunday Oct. 29.

Scarowinds will reinvent the Halloween theme park experience this year with a seventh shrieking season, supplying guests with new bone chilling attractions and classic haunts that promise fresh thrills and excitement. Brave souls who dare to enter will undergo a transformative horror experience that will forever alter their notions of fear. With more than 60 acres of the Park’s most popular rides and attractions changed into terrifyingly realistic settings, guests are sure to have their blood run cold with intense dread, shock and terror.

“The seventh season of Scarowinds will be the most intense and frightening one yet at the number one Halloween event in the Carolinas,†said Paramount’s Carowinds General Manager John Shanrock. “Scarowinds 2006 promises gruesome new maze attractions to terrify and thrill as well as a grisly new freak show experience sure to have guests withering in fear.â€Â

ATTRACTIONS

Slaughter House

Deafening cries of hundreds of pigs echo from the animal silos in the distance. Severed pigs’ heads on wooden stakes line the road to the decaying Shady Lakes Pork Processing Facility. All the killing and torture has taken its toll on the sanity of the butchers who work here. The pigs have become too boring and the butchers have decided that it is time to take new victims for slaughter!

Big Top Terror

The circus was packed with a full house under the big top when the Ringmaster took the stage to begin the greatest show of all. Suddenly a spark ignited, and a flame spread through the entire tent in seconds burning it to the ground. The fire claimed hundreds of victims and animals on that fateful October afternoon. No one knows how the fire began, but each night at Scarowinds guests can still hear the screams of victims being burned alive - their souls trapped beneath the charred and blackened canvas seeking escape and revenge on those who dare to enter.

Haunted Woods

Trespass into these woods when darkness falls, and you will find yourself inside your worst nightmare. The journey brings you face to face with the twisted killers, monsters and evil tormentors of your very own dreams. The deranged inhabitants of the woods do not like to be disturbed by visitors – trespassers should be wary of terror-filled surprises around every corner!

Murder Manor

Legend recalls that this old abandoned manor was condemned more than 30 years ago, but the inhabitants have stayed on to be near the things they hold dear. Visitors to the manor should be warned! The spirits indulge themselves in the pursuit of blood and live for the thrill of murder. Those who dare to enter may never be heard from again!

FreakShow Deluxeâ„¢

The freak show features a revolving group of sideshow misfits and burlesque beauties performing the most amazing, death-defying and spine tingling freakish acts each night at Scarowinds. The show features a variety of acts including fire-eating, glass walking, sword swallowing, a human pincushion and a contortionist who defies imagination. No two shows are ever alike – and guests never know what they might see!

Funhouse Express

A dilapidated fun house attraction sends chills down guests’ spines during a hair-raising test drive! Jimmy, a would-be inventor, takes the audience on a wild ride through a spooky and crazy world full of clown chaos in this motion-simulated movie experience.

Elvira’s Superstition

Elvira, the mistress of the dark, invites guests inside her virtual ‘Scream Park’ for the ride of their afterlife. It’s full scream ahead, as guests screech and scrape through Elvira’s thrill ride, promising frightfully interactive entertainment the likes of which no living being has ever seen.

Many of the Park’s favorite rides will remain open for a nighttime thrill, but will feature a menacing twist. Guests can dare to experience some of the scariest thrills on the planet in the darkest “dead†of night as they test their bravery on a terrifying lineup of rides including BORG Assimilator™, the Carolinas’ only flying coaster, Top Gun®: The Jet Coaster, Drop Zone Stunt Tower®, Vortex™, Carolina Cyclone and Thunder Road.

Advance tickets are on sale now at the Park on operating days for $27.99 or at www.scarowinds.com for $28.99. Discount tickets are available at all participating Harris-Teeter stores in Charlotte, N.C. and all BI-LO stores in South Carolina for $29.99. Discount coupons that include a buy-one-get-one-free offer on Sept. 29, 30 and Oct. 6 are available at Bojangles. Even though Park Season Passes are not valid for admission to Scarowinds, Passholders can purchase one discounted ticket per pass per visit for only $17.50 at the Park and online. Season Passholders must show their 2006 or 2007 season pass at the gate for entrance to the Park.

Scarowinds is a separate ticketed event and is not combined with Paramount’s Carowinds regular Park operation admission during the day.

For additional information about Paramount’s Carowinds, guests should call 704-588-2600 in N.C., 803-548-5300 in S.C., toll free at 1-800-888-4FUN or visit the website at www.scarowinds.com.

Paramount’s Carowinds is owned and operated by Cedar Fair, L.P., a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.†In addition to Paramount’s Carowinds, Cedar Fair owns and operates eleven other amusement parks, five water parks, one indoor water park resort and six hotels.

Because when they did, they did not meet their financial goals.

Carowinds does very well with their ticketed event. It is much more elaborate than Fear Fest, the mazes are substantially longer, and the event is heavily attended. Don't even think of going the last two weekends unless you want to put up with large, paying crowds!

• 11 years later...

Think those are some of the biggest selling features for a gold pass. If you live close that you go a lot parking is great and a huge saving, but I live in Indy and have personally bought and had friends buy gold pass because it including haunt more so than any other perk. We only would go a few times a year and haunt was always one or two if our visits. With Winterfest now I’d be sure to hit it up as well. Whereas if they weren’t included I’d likely only go every few years as I’d use the opportunity to check out other Halloween and Christmas events and just go back to get that fix and check out a slew of new additions from the previous few years I didn’t go. That means they also aren’t getting my money for food/drink purchases and often bought skeleton key. Also I’d probably be less likely to buy a season pass in general knowing one or two visits wouldn’t be happening from the start so losing out on any money I (and anyone else with similar thoughts/feelings towards it) would have spent throughtout the summer there. So it could potentially hurt financially to not include it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Might kill Winterfest but would it really kill Haunt?  It seems overcrowded to me to the point that I really don’t want to be there.  It is getting just insane at CP.

How many purchased a ticket to go with their passholder friends?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Not sure what your point is.   Make it Passholder only?

No. My point: Passholders encourage non passholders to experience Haunt. If passholders can't get in, you loose them and some general admission tickets.

29 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Personally as a passholder I do not do any in park spending.  Cp gets my money for lodging but I have not done any in park spending at ki in 15 years.  I'm sure there are a lot of people like that.

Of course you haven't done any in park spending at KI.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

So it takes an overstuffed park a few weekends in October for the the park to turn a profit?   That is unfortunate.  

I am just talking haunt. That is what we are discussing. Why have haunt if it not making money. Yes it would be nice to have less crowds, but those crowds get us closer to a new ride. If you want less crouds you go on as rainy night with Malem.

• Like 2

The best year of Kings Island's Halloween events was the first year of Fear Fest, which cost money.  Now, the houses are all very poorly staffed and incredibly short.  They make a ton of money on these nights, and these weekends are some of the highest attended in the season, but I still would prefer to pay an upcharge.

• Like 1