SOB to reopen

Vortex

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard reports from the IAAPA convention that mention Gravity Group has been involved in numerous retracking and repair projects this off seasson. That would lead to the theroy that they are the ones who are performing the repairs to SoB.

Should be interesting to see what the remainder of the offseasson brings.

I'm so glad to hear its opening. I think its an awesome ride. I also hate to see a large part of KI's resources standing by being unused.

I also think its a good statement that they are standing by it and opening it back up. I am looking forward to the improvements, though, that will hopefully smooth it out while still keeping its character.

In a earlier post they gave a hint that if someone zoomed in on the loop they would notice a difference. Did they remove the loop? I hope that they didn't do this but I guess we will have to wait until 07' to find out. I hope that it reopens in the Spring when I go to get my season pass renewed. I want to be one of the first people to ride it. I missed riding it all season last year. I only got to ride it in May and July before the accident. The park wasn't the same without it being open. When I visited in October for Beast Bash Maureen mentioned something about the trains maybe being changed or redone. I hope they change them to something safer and more comfortable and I hope they didn't change the coaster design in anyway.

Like I've said before, I'm no structural engineer (yet) and I don't work at the park, but it seems like the loop has been the least problematic component of the ride since its opening. The accident took place before the loop, and on a structure completely different from that of the loop. Unless GCII (or Gravity Group) really has designed new trains, and those trains cannot navigate the loop, I can't imagine why it would be removed. Then again, I can't imagine why the park wouldn't necessitate that new trains be able to handle the inversion.

In my personal opinion, the loop is the only redeeming quality of the entire ride.

Two thoughts about the possibility and the reasons why they would remove the loop on the Son of Beast.

1.) They may want to slow the attraction down to give a more smother ride and need to eliminate the loop to make this happen, as it takes a certain amount of speed to accommodate for the loop.

2.) If they felt that the current restraints were to confining and led to a rougher ride or increased the level of injury due to the constraints. They may have decided to go with a different type of constraints in the existing cars or in a new design style of car. Either way it’s possible that the new constraints may not be suitable for any inversions, there for the need to eliminate the loop on the Son of Beast would be necessary

Disclaimer: I not saying that either one of these ideas have any truth to them but I am only putting them out there to give possible credence to the suggestions of the removal of the loop.

If I had to guess as to the possibilities on one of the two above choices I would say the second choice is a more possible choice. Just my opinion let’s hear others idea’s as well.

For this entire time I have been convinced that they would never remove the loop on SOB, especially considering the fame it has recieved for that feature. The only reason I could come up with would be for new trains that couldnt handle an inversion....like has been mentioned earlier. But I have thought in my head the whole time....No, PKI wouldn't remove one of the major elements of the ride.

However.....today I am forced to wonder about the possibility of this happening, especially since when I drove by the park today at Lunch I noticed a boom crane up and parked right near the vacinity of the loop.

I will almost guarentee that they will not remove Son of Beast's loop. The only way I could see this happening is if GCII or whomever is redoing the ride said there was no way that they would do that. Not to mention they would have to shift the angle the drop takes to meet the track in the right spot. If they do remove it, they better add an airtime hill in there somewhere.