SOB to reopen

Vortex

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say this.....but, after I saw the crane there this afternoon at lunch I just couldnt get it out of my head and I had to do some investigating. I decided to do a little poking around by using the new Great Wolf Lodge to my advantage and I have to tell you. I didnt like what I saw. I looked around from many different view points and I have to say that through the tree line and on the horizon I could not see the steel structure of the loop anymore. I have a picture that I took from the corner of the new Great Wolf Lodge Street where it meets Columbia Rd. back by the old campground area and I think you can see the lack of the structure in it.

IPB Image

Anyone who doubts the validity of the picture can go see for themselves....another spot I looked from was in the GWL parking lot over by Top Gun through the trees.

IPB Image

I think that we should just keep in mind that at this point we dont know what is really going on. All we know is what we can see from the public point of view.....there is no inside information that has been released. As far as we know they could have just taken down the structure to make a modification or something.

I hate to say this.....but, after I saw the crane there this afternoon at lunch I just couldnt get it out of my head and I had to do some investigating. I decided to do a little poking around by using the new Great Wolf Lodge to my advantage and I have to tell you. I didnt like what I saw. I looked around from many different view points and I have to say that through the tree line and on the horizon I could not see the steel structure of the loop anymore. I have a picture that I took from the corner of the new Great Wolf Lodge Street where it meets Columbia Rd. back by the old campground area and I think you can see the lack of the structure in it.

IPB Image

Anyone who doubts the validity of the picture can go see for themselves....another spot I looked from was in the GWL parking lot over by Top Gun through the trees.

IPB Image

Woah guys, I think we're all jumping the gun a little bit here. While checking the exf data from shmans photos I could tell that they are in no way edited by photo shop or any other program. They're genuine photographs. While I thank him for the effort he went to to take them lets compare them to some photos I took a year ago during the offseason using some of the same angles:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

As you can see, you know the loop was obviously there, these pictures were taken back in March before the park opened for the 06 season but from the angles I used here you werent able to physically see it. I was able to see the loop but only from one angle...

IPB Image

While Shmans pictures are genuine, I dont think he was able to see the loop from his angles. Tommorow I do have some business a few exits down I-71 and IF i get the time I will stop by KI to try and see if anything has changed. No one can possitively say the loop on SOB has been removed.

You might be right....Im just saying what I saw from where I was and I did go to a few different angles. I thought I remembered being able to see the loop from back by GWL, especially from the angle of the first shot, which I believe the tree line is low enough to see where the top part would be. Maybe I was wrong and my mind is just making me jump to conclusions. But who knows, all I am saying is what I saw, and I didnt see any loop there. I also dont have that great of a camera, so if someone else out there has a better zoom (Ronny....you have some nice cameras :-) that might be able to get some closer pictures maybe it could clear this up

All i got to say is that its going out. I used to work at the park (on SOB actually) and I know a maintenance guy who sent me a pic that he took from his cell phone. I would post it but due to the respect I have for him and for fear of him getting fired, Im not going to. Your just going to have to trust me on this, and wait until somebody has a pic they can post or you ride it next year and notice an element missing from the ride........and if you dont believe me, then dont!

All i got to say is that its going out. I used to work at the park (on SOB actually) and I know a maintenance guy who sent me a pic that he took from his cell phone. I would post it but due to the respect I have for him and for fear of him getting fired, Im not going to. Your just going to have to trust me on this, and wait until somebody has a pic they can post or you ride it next year and notice an element missing from the ride........and if you dont believe me, then dont!

Even if you posted the pic theres no way to prove it was your friend who took the pic, getting him n trouble. If you're so intent on spreading the rumor why not back it up? If your friends in the picture just use mspaint to black him out and to make sure we cant even see the model number of the camera, open the picture in paint, then save it as something else. We wont be able to read the original exif data thereby not getting your friend in any trouble. Not that I'm calling you a liar, I've worked with you a few times and it was certainly a pleasure, I know your a good worker and one of the best employees at the park, but if its a secret thats not supposed to get out then telling that a friend told you is just as bad as posting the pic. Maintenace personel at PKI are not restricted from keeping cell phones on them while working so what possibly could he get in trouble for?

Guest kwindshawne

Two thoughts about the possibility and the reasons why they would remove the loop on the Son of Beast.

1.) They may want to slow the attraction down to give a more smother ride and need to eliminate the loop to make this happen, as it takes a certain amount of speed to accommodate for the loop.

2.) If they felt that the current restraints were to confining and led to a rougher ride or increased the level of injury due to the constraints. They may have decided to go with a different type of constraints in the existing cars or in a new design style of car. Either way it’s possible that the new constraints may not be suitable for any inversions, there for the need to eliminate the loop on the Son of Beast would be necessary

Disclaimer: I not saying that either one of these ideas have any truth to them but I am only putting them out there to give possible credence to the suggestions of the removal of the loop.

If I had to guess as to the possibilities on one of the two above choices I would say the second choice is a more possible choice. Just my opinion let’s hear others idea’s as well.

I hated those restraints as well as a lot of the other ones in the park. Without the "give" there is no flexibility and you are stuck in one position which I know for me contributes to more sudden jolts and the sore back on Son as well as the other coasters.

As of early November:

Flyover

...it was just his angle...

And if you paid attention to the posts today I said that there was a crane on site TODAY. What does a picture from early November have to do with what could have happened today, or over the last few days??

I obviously knew that the loop was still there as of November.....in fact it was there as of about 2 weeks ago, that I know for sure.

As of early November:

Flyover

...it was just his angle...

And if you paid attention to the posts today I said that there was a crane on site TODAY. What does a picture from early November have to do with what could have happened today, or over the last few days??

I obviously knew that the loop was still there as of November.....in fact it was there as of about 2 weeks ago, that I know for sure.

And if you saw a crane there this morning the crane would still be there after lunch time would it not???