SOB to reopen

Vortex

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we've now seen that the loop is still there. Now my question is if there actually are plans of removing the loop or if some members on this site are full of crap and a sense of knowledge, power, and self importance that they don't have.

This picture http://photos.pkicentral.com/albums/userpi...lyover4%7E0.jpg was taken Dec. 3rd before the loop rumor.

If the loop came down it came down awful fast...

Pictures taken December 3rd show absolutley no equipment back or near the entire ride, not even one truck. Then 3 days later on December 6th we get the first word from shman and cyoung that its gone. Shman actually delivers what might be proof where as cyoung is just claiming that its gone. The next day on Dec. 7th shman returns to get more pictures, still no loop. Now look at it this way...Theres absolutely nothing but som tarp on the 3rd and within 3 days theyve gotten a crane in there and removed the loop but by the time shman goes on his lunch break the crane is not in view anymore and on Dec. 7th no crane or equipment anywhere around the park is seen. They must have done that awfully quick. Not that I dont think it is a possibility the loop is gone but two new trains from PTC would cost probably close to two million dollars and I'm sure Intamin, millenium flyer, or any other quality trains are not cheap either.

Yes, as the Interpreter said, the wood laminations support the steel running rails in the loop. The loop structure is steel, like The Voyage`s at Holiday World. But there is wood track all the way around the loop. They have a cherry picker parked along side the loop so that the crews can inspect the wood track in the loop each morning, since there is no catwalk through the loop.

I agree but I don’t think we would see any vehicles around The SOB on a Sunday during the month of December. Could it be possible for them to start on a Monday morning to prep the area for the removal of the loop on a Wednesday, and then bring in a large mobile crane to lower it and to be finished by midday then be packed up and out by 4 pm. That would indeed be pretty impressive efficient work but is doable. As seen in the photo examples below.

Every year in September Disney usually changes and performs maintenance on the castle and some items to be placed or removed are large heavy pieces such as the Castle Bling above the main Doors.

IPB Image

Disney brings in a large crane and parks in the back of the castle then when guests leave for the day they raise this mobile crane and perform the necessary work at night over a span of about 8 hours.

IPB Image

Afterwards they take down the crane to either remove it from the park or leave it at the park to hide it away so the guest won’t have ready access to it.

IPB Image

Or be forced to see the operators of such machinery.

IPB Image

Now the simple fact is sometimes they just need a crane to be brought in to do some simple maintenance to a hard to reach area, so they attach a cherry picker to the crane to accomplish these types of tasks.

IPB Image

So I really think that it is possible to have a crane in and out of Kings Island in one day, I don’t think that anyone can guess as to the task that the crane was there to due at this point.

Let’s keep the discussion going.

You may want to check the dates of those pictures and then check when the SOB rumors started by a few photos by Shman, before you start to accuse others of what they know.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything yet. If you look at what I said, I stated that I wondered which it was, giving people the benefit of the doubt for now. I just simply wonder if this is an actual rumor or more like the one started last year, where 5-10 people all claimed they "knew from an inside source" that a spongebob coaster was coming.

The logistics of getting a crane large enough to handle the loop on site and set up would not happen in one day. I know they make large portable cranes that can roll in and then roll out, but ususally when dealing with any type of crane it arrives on site before demolition or construction begins 1 to 2 days prior to begin setup and testing of the unit before the other work crews arrive. Nothing worse than to have your full work crew on site and then have a crane show up that isnt functioning properly.

Also the SoB loop removal rumors is nothing more than a rumor to throw a wrench in to the talk of X-Flight coming. How active was the X-Flight topic during this time frame? It was nonexistent so now the info pointing towards X-Flight coming has made us all excited and giddy more so than if we would have kept talking about it.

But here is an interesting thougth, if they were going to remove the loop, wouldnt it make more sense to wait to disassemble it with the cranes on site for X-Flight construction. That way you arent paying for double equipment and logistical costs of transporting equipment twice. So disassemble the loop before you assemble X-Flight would make more sense from a cost standpoint. Cranes arent cheap...

RailRider still adding fuel to the fire.

What about this photo that CoastersNSich found?

http://photos.pkicentral.com/thumbnails.php?album=177]Son of Beast[/url]. If the date on that photo is the 12th, then the loop is still there, unless that is the date it was posted and not taken. I found out the date by moving the arrow over the pic. It also looks like there is are being cleared by FOF in the other photos, which leads me to believe that X-Flight is also coming.

From ChannelCincinnati.com:

MASON -- A report from the Ohio Department of Agriculture said Wednesday that a design flaw was responsible for a rough ride that injured 27 people at Kings Island in July.

The report said an engineering firm hired to investigate concluded the primary cause of the failure on the Son of Beast rollercoaster was a deficiency in the design of the structure that allowed a vertical wooden support –- a bent leg –- to crack because it could not support the weight.

The failure of one bent leg led to the failure of two other bent legs, causing a slight dip in the track. This resulted in a pothole effect, injuring riders, the report said.

The ODA said certain actions have to be taken by Kings Island before it will license the ride to operate again:

Hire a qualified engineering firm to conduct a detailed review of the entire structural design

Complete all structural modifications to eliminate design deficiencies

Complete all structural modifications to stiffen the structure and reduce lateral movement

Strengthen wood components and connections to ensure structural integrity. Metal chain plates should be added to strengthen wood components and metal split rings should be added to strengthen bolted connections

The ODA said it will make a decision on whether to allow the ride to reopen after receiving certification from Kings Island’s engineer that the improvements have been properly completed.

News 5's Emily Longnecker will have the latest on this story later Wednesday.

We have had confirmation from Maureen that SoB will reopen. Remember when it comes to KI this site is more up to the date than any other local news source. This really isnt groundbreaking news, but it does verify what myself and many others have said all along, the structure and materials were defective and not the track itself. I think it also alludes to new trains that are lighter, because the Premier trains beat the structure up because of their sheer weight. Less weight, less structure fatigue and movement, should equal smoother ride.

No Loop, Very Sad :(

Well, before Kings Island can reopen the ride, the engineer that they hire has to sign off that all their reccomendations to fix the design flaws were completed. Then, and only then, can Kings Island even ask the state to certify the ride for public operation. I wouldn`t be too surprised if the enginnering firm that Cedar Fair/Kings Island hires is already working on the job. Yes, it is ashame that the only looping wooden coaster in the world is loosing its loop, but if it means a more enjoyable and safer ride experience, than it is better for all parties involved.

Guest kwindshawne

Well, before Kings Island can reopen the ride, the engineer that they hire has to sign off that all their reccomendations to fix the design flaws were completed. Then, and only then, can Kings Island even ask the state to certify the ride for public operation. I wouldn`t be too surprised if the enginnering firm that Cedar Fair/Kings Island hires is already working on the job. Yes, it is ashame that the only looping wooden coaster in the world is loosing its loop, but if it means a more enjoyable and safer ride experience, than it is better for all parties involved.

It was a great idea, not practical. If we need a loop "fix", just go to Vortex. I still have to watch what happens-I still don't trust Son-but like my smart a** said earlier, I have health insurance as of Jan. 1.

In all seriousness, I will be surprised if they are able to insure it.

Guest kwindshawne

If they weren't going to be able to insure the ride, they wouldn't be trying to fix it. It would have just been torn down.

Sometimes it takes a while for that to be determined. I just now realized the full gravity of the final two paragraphs of the failure report. Go under global considerations, the second paragraph and really let that sink in folks-for you engineering students-does that sound like the end to you? It does to me-especially the one sentence "The extent of modifications that have been made to the original structure over the few short years of the SOB's life is particularly troubling." That is the seed of doubt to the structural breakdown I was referring to in earlier posts.