SOB to reopen

Vortex

Really? Please explain to me why such restraints or trains weren't necessary on Mr. Schwarzkoph's wonderful creations like Shockwave at Six Flags Over Texas, Sooper Dooper Looper at Hersheypark, Mindbender at Six Flags Over Georgia or even Greezed Lightnin at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom nee Viper at SFOG and Tidal Wave at SFGAm!

http://www.rcdb.com/ig28.htm?picture=3

Here's a better picture of the restraints:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig75.htm?picture=23 (that was Tidal Wave (later known as Greased Lightnin) at [Paramount's] Marriott's Great America)

Perhaps it wasn't the restraints that were necessary for that loop, but that only some (one?) manufacturer(s) was/were willing to assume certain risks in selling trains for a wooden coaster with a loop...perhaps they were in fear of some sort of accident occurring, ironically in the loop....

I meant that without the loop they could possibly put trains that most wooden coasters have, therefore leading to a more comfortable ride.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kwindshawne

If you look very hard in picture you can still see the loop. Its hard to see but you can make it out. Look in the red box that I have added.

IPB Image

I don't know-I thought that might have been so at once, but on closer look, I am pretty sure that was one of the loops in Vortex-I can't be 100% sure though. The pics are bad-but in person, I am pretty sure that was Vortex.

If you look very hard in picture you can still see the loop. Its hard to see but you can make it out. Look in the red box that I have added.

IPB Image

after going half blind on it, I don't think the scale is right-it could be Son's loop, but I think it is Vortex.

Just because I am sitting here with nothing else to do :) , I looked up a satellite image of the park. I don't see any way when you sight a line through TG at that angle and look at SOB, that any of The Vortex would be visible. If that is a loop, I believe it has to be SOB's.

Guest kwindshawne

Just because I am sitting here with nothing else to do :) , I looked up a satellite image of the park. I don't see any way when you sight a line through TG at that angle and look at SOB, that any of The Vortex would be visible. If that is a loop, I believe it has to be SOB's.

Could be-looked different in person....

Before going to The Beach Waterpark's Holiday Fest, I decided to get a closer look at Son of Beast as possible. I first stopped at the passenger drop-off, but couldn't see much there.

(As a side note, there's a sign on the north parking lot exit gates, which were reconfigured as part of the Great Wolf Lodge project, that said "Kings Island CLOSED" - no "Paramount" on it.)

Next, I drove on the road near the Kings High School compex and GWL, getting as close to the park as possible without trespassing. From this angle, I tried looking as hard as possible for the Son of Beast loop - or lack thereof. This loop has to have had some height to it - the fact that I couldn't see it is either because of the trees or that this loop is indeed gone. I could see some sort of circular object sticking out in that questionable area, but it looked far more like The Racer's lift hill.

Is this simply a rebuilding project, or are they doing that so better trains that can't handle inversions could be installed?

Guest kwindshawne

I didn't see anything at SOB when I went to the Beach.

this is probably so stupid but on Google earth I found it with the loop

IPB Image

Google rocks.....

I'm tired

Guest kwindshawne

Google Earth isn't live. :lol:

Yeah, the pics are inconclusive-all I can say is at all angles I went-pics or not-I never did find the loop. The last salt covered pic is the one I focused on-the loop should have been visible in that one, and it wasn't. That is why I am wondering if it really is gone. Truthfully, I am surprised the pics came out as well as they did. The last pic was shoot and scoot.....

So How many members have took the time to go and hunt for a loop in the middle of December?

The fact that not one member has been able to get a glimpse of it either by eye site or photograph has got to start to say something so much so that I’m going to say that I stongly believe the loop is gone at this point, unless I see photo proof or hear of an eye witness report that it is still there.

Edited by Avatar

^Why "should" it have been visible? Where were you in the car considering you cant get in the parking lot. The picture where I had a pic of the loop from last year was taken deep into the parking lot at the bottom of the slope. You had to be IN the parking lot, not by the tolls or pick up drop off area. I had permission to be there last year and was even with security when I took them. That was the only angle I got the loop in. Not that I dont appreciate your efforts kiwi, I do but I think its safe to say that the loop can only definently be seen from one close angle of the parking lot, and to get to that angle you must have permission to be in that patking lot. I was able to get some pictures friday night from Kings High School and the great wolf lodge, I did not tresspass on anyone property and I will post them soon.

Yes, I agree. The angles from over by GWL are not the best as the loop would be located close to the grade line, which means that it would be obscured by trees and foliage. I mean, look at this picture I took back in the Spring of 2004 from Top Gun`s queue line looking towards Son of Beast. The loop is barely visible. And from GWL, the land is even higher up, which would make spotting the loop even more difficult.

One thing is for SURE. The park (and Cedar Fair) DOES read this site.

NO ONE should be trespassing on park property.

You will notice that security has responded quickly in several instances of people being near park property in this thread. Know that Cedar Fair takes violations of law VERY seriously. There can be no assurance that all an interluder who actually enters park property without authority would get is a warning. . .they may well prosecute.

As for the rapid security responses, that means one of three (or more) things:

* Security does a great job...and under Cedar Fair has a heightened interest in protecting the property from intruders of who knows what intent.

* Security has been instructed to be on the lookout for peeping photographers looking for a loop (I hope they didn't call them 'loopy').

* Security has been told there are major changes going on in the park, that peeping photographers would be looking all off season to post scoops on the Internet, and that their job is help to ensure the grand secrets of the Cedar Fair transformation are not leaked.

As for Internets, that comment was really bush league. (For those who didn't notice, CoasterNSich even gave us clickable links...)

Ho. Ho.

Well it’s always good to see support for a sitting president. I am particularly glad that he decided to use Maria Bartiromo (the "Money Honey") to help us get through those Bush leagues ooop’s I was distracted I meant links.

IPB Image

It seems that loop spotting trip reports have taken the place of the Winterfest trip reports and has became a new sport. See what happens when Park Enthusiast are kept in the dark for so loooong.

Guest kwindshawne

You will notice that security has responded quickly in several instances of people being near park property in this thread. Know that Cedar Fair takes violations of law VERY seriously. There can be no assurance that all an interluder who actually enters park property without authority would get is a warning. . .they may well prosecute.

* Security does a great job...and under Cedar Fair has a heightened interest in protecting the property from intruders of who knows what intent.

* Security has been instructed to be on the lookout for peeping photographers looking for a loop (I hope they didn't call them 'loopy').

* Security has been told there are major changes going on in the park, that peeping photographers would be looking all off season to post scoops on the Internet, and that their job is help to ensure the grand secrets of the Cedar Fair transformation are not leaked.

As for Internets, that comment was really bush league. (For those who didn't notice, CoasterNSich even gave us clickable links...)

Ho. Ho.

You know what though? If you think about it, this is great marketing for the transformation of the "new Son of Beast". I would never trespass through any gates, but from GWL it is very visible. BTW when I was there yesterday, it looked to me as if people were checking in to the lodge-are you sure the opening hasn't been moved up a few days??

Ho. Ho.

Evidently, they can't stop planes from flying over :D

Nah:

* Some would claim the photo was not, in fact, recent, but an older picture with either retouching to make it appear more recent or a faked date, or both.

* Some would say they are testing it both ways: with and without the loop.

* Some would choose to ignore the evidence and stick with their usual theories of conspiracy.

* Some would argue what Paramount Parks would or would not have done.

* Some would post long diatribes about why the loop SHOULD have been removed, and try to change Cedar Fair's mind.

* Some would try to interpret, and post a list of things...something like this one.

Nah:

* Some would claim the photo was not, in fact, recent, but an older picture with either retouching to make it appear more recent or a faked date, or both.

* Some would say they are testing it both ways: with and without the loop.

* Some would choose to ignore the evidence and stick with their usual theories of conspiracy.

* Some would argue what Paramount Parks would or would not have done.

* Some would post long diatribes about why the loop SHOULD have been removed, and try to change Cedar Fair's mind.

* Some would try to interpret, and post a list of things...something like this one.

To a point that is true.