Quick TR -- Cedar Point

Delirium_Guy

Well, last Sunday Robb and I randomly decided that we wanted to hit Cedar Point. We got a late start, 3PM, ended up at the Park at 645PM with an 8PM close. Crazy, I know, but thats how we do things. Although we only had an hour, EVERYTHING was a walk-on.....including Millennium Force and Dragster. We got around 7 rides in the hour we were there. Fantastic. We knew we had to try this again. So yesterday, Robb, James and myself took off for the Point once again. We arrived around 2PM. Once again, WALK ON everything.

* Magnum was running like a champ yesterday, perhaps some of the best rides I've had. The trims were off before entering the turn around. It was very very agressive and the airtime was even more off the charts on the return run. Ended up with 4 Maggie rides yesterday.

* Dragster was bringing it yesterday. Ran reliably all day, no down time, except a short 10 minute delay while they had to reset the blocks. 5 minute wait for our first ride, after that we literally walked right on the trains! Ended up with 4 rides.

* Millennium was running a bit on the slow side. It was kinda chilly yesterday and the wind was definitely a factor. Still fun. 4 rides again. We ended the night with a front seat ride (which was only a 2 train wait, BTW). Superb! Not my favorite coaster by a long shot, Superman at SFNE still holds that one, but it was a brilliant ride. The drop was a trip in the front seat after dark. The lights on the structure really screw with you with the way they flash as the train drops down. Brrrrr, it was freezing up there though :-)

* Through out the day we rode Raptor 2 times, Wicked Twister, Blue Streak, Disaster Transport, maXair, Skyhawk, Gemini plus did the two haunted houses that were open. Combine those with 4 rides each on the 3 most popular coasters in the park in just over 5 hours. Amazing day at the Point.

* Gotta back back to HalloWeekends on a Saturday. The scare zones they have set up look super. The haunted houses themselves weren't half bad this year, definitley improved over the years. Definitely enjoyed the one back in Frontier Town. In general, the Park looks fantastic as it always does for Halloween. They've always paid much more attention to actually decorating the park than Kings Island ever has for FearFest. I especially love the crashed SkyRide cabin located directly underneath the Sky Ride :-) I missed the Iron Dragon car this year though, not sure if I just passed by or what.

* Maverick is looking better by the day. I was looking at the webcam on Friday. At 3PM, they had the pond drained as they were constructing the turn that travels over it. By 6PM, when the Park opened, it was filled again. I LOVE the fact that they were concerned with the cosmetic appearance of the area, covering up the muck and mud before guests made it back. With that said, as fun as Maverick looks, it looks sooo outta place. After seeing the giants that have been built in recent years, Maverick barely pokes above the tree line :-) I'm stoked about it though, I'm sure its going to be one hell of a fun ride!

We're definitely headed back to Point a few more times this season. Is it sad that we've been there more than KI this year? Our next big adventure is next weekend though. Dorney Park, Phoenix Phall Phun Phest @ Knoebels, Six Flags New England and Six Flags Great Adventure! Looking forward to it! Are you ready Brandon?!?!?!

- Todd

We're definitely headed back to Point a few more times this season. Is it sad that we've been there more than KI this year?

- Todd

Oddly enough, several people I know will agree with you and/or find themselves in the same situation. I've only been there once this year, (though on four consecutive days), because of trying to find work.... but I still love going to KI for a bit at least once a week.

* Magnum was running like a champ yesterday, perhaps some of the best rides I've had. The trims were off before entering the turn around. It was very very agressive and the airtime was even more off the charts on the return run. Ended up with 4 Maggie rides yesterday.

I agree with you 100% on Magnum...I was there for a few days at the end of August, and I think I had some of the best Magnum rides I've had in years! (And, I rode it something like eight times over the two days...)

I had read some complaints earlier in the season about Magnum's roughness, but I didn't see that at all...to me it felt like it was running like 1989.

Granted, some of PKI's FF decorations are a little cheesy to say the least, but with the billowing fog and creepy music, you have to tilt your had to that one.

I have never felt that PKI's decorations were cheesy, only that they were a bit lacking. It was OK when FearFest was in its first season and only certain areas were open. Now the entire park is used resulting in a lot of bare areas in terms of decorations. This is an area that Cedar Point shines in. All areas of the park are decorated in some form or another. The fog during the first season of FearFest was phenominal, it was a super event. The past few seasons, I personally haven't felt that there was that much fog at all. Your mileage may vary :-)

Oh, jzarley, I agree that I don't think Magnum is rough at all. Its an agressive ride with very extreme forces in the airtime department as we both know. Not rough at all for me, no matter where I ride. It was running great this past Sunday, but two Sundays ago it was a freak show. The trims were off and the breeze from the lake was very very light. The thing was hauling through the turnaround and dishing up some serious laterals. The breeze was a bit heavier on Sunday, but it didn't detract too much from it! Maggie will always be a personal favorite for me. I'll never forget seeing it on the horizon on my first visit back in 1992. Man what a sight.

None the less, as Snapper said, my heart belongs to Superman at Six Flags New England. IMHO, its perfect. Not a dull spot on the ride. Perfection I tell you!

- Todd, who's last visit to PKI may actually be on Thursday for the FearFest preview