Wood Coasters Being Removed?

FOF/Z 4-ever

Hey guys,

I've haven't been on in some time and I've tried to see if there was another topic created, but couldn't find one.

The other day, a friend of mine told me that starting tomorrow, Cedar Fair was going to start demolishing all wood coasters. I told him that it prolly wasn't true, but I wanted to check on here 1st to make sure.

So, is it true or is it not true that Cedar Fair will be removing all wood coasters?

Thanks,

James

Considering that they are adding Renegade at Valleyfair, a GCI creation, for the 2007 season that is a completely false statement. Also, why would they remove all wooden coasters? The Beast and Racer at Kings Island are classic rides. The Beast is what helped make Kings Island known across the country as a major roller coaster player.

Yeah, Ok. Son of Beast is what brings "mostly everybody" to Kings Island? Well, I know that ride does not bring me to Kings Island. Not to mention that I don`t rush to ride that ride first thing. Additionally, I think it is more Kings Island`s award winning children`s area that brings a lot of the people to the park. Not a roller coaster that the park has had major issues with since it opened.

Really that ride has all ready had too many problems. You may expect those problems in an older wooden roller coaster. Son of Beast shouln't be having these problems all ready. They really need to tear it down and accpet that they made a mistake putting the ride in. It was a great idea they just had the wrong guys desgin the roller coaster.

Really that ride has all ready had too many problems. You may expect those problems in an older wooden roller coaster. Son of Beast shouln't be having these problems all ready. They really need to tear it down and accpet that they made a mistake putting the ride in. It was a great idea they just had the wrong guys desgin the roller coaster.

They could just rename it "The Bat." But then The Bat was actually state of the art for it's time.

they need to rebuild the rose bowl...

oh well...

I guess you are right.

Guest kwindshawne

The Sections that are really bad are the top entering the rose bowl. The entire bottom half of the rose bowl and then everything after the loop.

I hate to say it, but SOB sucks. I think they need to cut their losses and remove it. I wouldn't want the liability if I was the owner of the park. Plus, I would be surprised if anyone would insure it with the record it has, and basically that is what it will come to.

Guest kwindshawne

It does have a really nice layout I think but maybe with some different types of wheel maybe the type that are used on steel coasters and rip the track up entirly and rebuild the entire track not just certain spots.

I would love to see it workable, cause it was the thrill of my life on that first hill-and I don't scare easily. If I knew it could be fixed and be like Beast, I would ride it again-I do like the layout as well.

That all depends on what the State of Ohio finds after they wrap up their investigation. I would imagine that the park is going to make an effort to have it ready by opening day, but it all depends. At the final rides on The Beast for the season, Maureen did mention that they are looking at ways to make it a more enjoyable coaster, including the possibility of new trains. I highly doubt it will receive new trains for next season, but you never know.

^That's good to know Coasters RZ, about the possibility of new trains. They could use that to market S.O.B as new and improved. I know I'm ready to ride again.

Wood Coasters being removed?

The lemon chill guy has been at it again.

Steel Wheels + Steel Track + Poor Builder + Big Motha (Shut your Mouth) Coaster = Rough Ride.

^

^

That is my SoB equation and sums up the problems pretty well.

Here is a question that I have always wondered. Why could you not build a coaster train with leaf springs? They dont take up much room, but they would help lessen the jolting/jackhammering effect. Even hay wagons have leaf springs, why not a coaster train? (Geesh I just showed my farming origins) Just a thought. Hopfully someone with an engineering background can answer this one for me.

besides, they just fixed up Son of Beast! why would they take it out after spending so much money on it?

As much as I LOVE Son of Beast - I am inclined to agree. Its not a good business move to keep it. If it was extremely popular - maybe. But even on days when Face/Off's line is over 1.5 hours - you can count on a 20 minute wait at Son of Beast. I will be saddened if they remove it - since it will be the loss of a great roller coaster - but I would understand the decision.

I opened that ride and it was never right. There was always something wrong with it even if it was running. The first year had to be the worst year for it besides this past year.

RIP Cobra

Cobragirl