Thanks For Another Great Season!

It's always a sad time of year. The leaves are falling, school is in full swing and the thrills of PKI have been laid to rest for another offseason. Today was the day when we had to say goodbye to Paramount's Kings Island for the 2006 year. But as the clock works, this isn't about the end of the 2006 season, but rather think of it as looking forward to the 2007 season.

If you look back at the past six months, I don't think anyone can argue that this has been quite a historic year for the park... maybe one of the most historic years that the park has ever had. From the park being sold to Cedar Fair to the almost total removal of Hanna Barbera from the grounds, it's hard to look back and think about how, for us loyal enthusiasts, our world was slowly changed forever.

I'm remember back in April on opening day eating breakfast with the characters. Had someone approached me that day and told me that all of my employee friends would be calling Dick Kinzel 'boss' in six months, I would have thought they were crazy. Of course, it's the end of October and here we are: a changed park, a changed community, and changed people.

I have had the opportunity to meet several of the Cedar Fair officials and they strike me as nice people. Of course actions speak louder than words, so they met my approval when they insisted that I-Street open up before 10 because that's what's best for the guests, or even adding trash cans and insisting that the midways be cleaner because they believe in a safer and more sanitary environment for the guests. Cedar Fair, in the eyes of the every day enthusiast, will always been walking a thin line between what we consider tradition and what they consider progress and in that situation they will almost always fail, as per one group's standards or another. So I ask you to look back at the past season and realize that if a group can make such a positive impact on the park in just a few months, there's no telling what's in store for the future of our little park.

Now comes the hard part... waiting... anticipating... waiting... waiting out the cold months of the year until we are finally welcomed back into our home away from home. I can't tell you how many days are left between now and April 21st, opening day. However I can tell you that to this humble person, it's certainly always going to be one day too many.

Also, and I can't stress this enough: It's not over. There are still a lot of things up both the sleeves of both PKI and PKIC. I can assure you that we have an annoucement which will be made within the next couple weeks that will be shocking, fun, exciting, and well-overdue. I don't want to take any wind away from the park, however. Keep checking the site -- you never know what kind of news will be flying in from the marketing staff of PKI.

May your path always rise to meet you, and a coaster always be in your horizon.

Regards,

Ryan

PKICentral.com - Please stand up, please stand up, please stand up

Yes. Today was a wonderful way to end a fun filled season at Paramount`s Kings Island. 2007 will be here before we know it and the park will be open. So enjoy the offseason, if you can!

Overall, crowds were on the light side today, in stark contrast from closing day last year. We got in a lot of rides today. It was nice hanging out with the PKIC crew, as well as CombatStupendous89, CoastersnSich, UncleHenry, Captain Picard and his wife, Captian Nemo, Avatar and the Reclaimer for the PKIC meetup!

Thanks Avatar for the ride on Skyflyer! I had a blast riding it again!

And of course, a huge thank you to Maureen Kaiser and Paramount`s Kings Island for once again offering us the final Beast rides of the season! It is a nice tradition and is greatly appreciated.

I dont think RZ and Boddah could've said it any better, this truly was a great season! I wrapped up my second year of working at the park the night before and got to spend the day with some great friends today. I also got to put some new faces to names. I enjoyed Tomb Raider, The Beast, and a few other rides with the honorable Captain Picard and his lovely wife who were very nice people to meet and I also got to meet reclaimer who stayed for final beast rides with us. Today wa a great way to wrap up the season.

Ok, now that I'm safely at home and not half-asleep driving down I-74...

It was a great day for sure. It was great meeting all of you. Next time I see you all, I'll be sure to have more than a couple hours of sleep and I should be a bit more with it.

-Reclaimer

(Who is hoping a new attraction for '07 is a reworked Bikini Bottom Bash, with bubbles all season long!)

I agree it has been an eventful year, with many changes. I can say that I have enjoyed this year immensely. Sharing a new Nickelodeon area on Easter with my daughter, a great nights of fire weekend and helping with a commercial shoot for Fear Fest, has been a season that I can only wish and hope for. But it has turned out to be so much more than that. The best part of the PKI experience was joining PKICentral and sharing in the love and enjoyment of PKI with other enthusiast. By doing that I have learned so much about the Park and best of all meeting so many fellow members. I enjoyed the chats, debates and the great humor ribbings that we have shared together. I would like to add that as Ryan has said in his post that so much more is coming and that 2007 will have all the excitement opportunities as the 2006 season has had. So for all the guest and those who view from the side I suggest that now would be a good time to join and to get involved.

Today was another great day at PKI and with PKICentral I got to meet back up and hang out with some fellow members that I consider friends. Your welcome CoasterRZ thanks for going with Ronny and me. I don’t know how to top going down the Skyflier for your first time with 2 moderators, except of course doing it while Maureen Kaiser is standing by to cheer us on! I am really looking forward to next year but I don’t want to miss visiting my fellow members during the off season, so I’ll see you all around.

Highlights for me for the 2006 season:

The backstage tour during Beast Bash. What I would give to spend a day in the sign shop!

The FoF commercial shoot.

But THE best highlight for me for the season?

Standing on the ROOF of International Restaurant with Ryan and Maureen and having the best seat in the house for the Night of Fire fireworks! Talk about a dream come true!

I am sure more will come to me later in the day, but that one will never leave me!

Bill

Well another great seasson at Kings Island has come and gone. This was definately a seasson of change.

First off, Thank You to the staff of PKIC that do a great job of keeping this site running at full speed and providing excelent content for all of the members.

This site helps me better deal with the offseasson and I greatly appreciate the time comitment you all put in to making this site the best you can.

The 06 seasson for myself was some what of an emotional roller coaster. The saddness of loosing HBL and especially the BusyTown Grill. I loved the Richard Scary books as a child and to see his characters disappear from the building was just saddening to myself. Nick U though was an amazing addition to the park and my niece and nephew were delighted to see all of the favorite characters. Avatar was a great new ride and I have never seen a grown women panic so much once it started to rotate on the track. I purposley forgot to tell her that one small detail. :D I hope to see many great additions to this area over the next few years.

The exciting anouncement that the new ownership would be Cedar Fair. I have had the privalge of meeting many of the individuals who run Cedar Fair, including Mr. Kinzel on a few occasions. I have always been impressed at how they interact with people and especially how they treat you as a friend. Just with the small changes we have already seen happen during Fear Fest I think Cedar Fair will bring many great things to Kings Island over the next few years.

Overall this seasson was one of great change and sometimes change is very dificult, but this change will be for the better. I am excited about the upcoming 07 seasson and to see what impact Cedar Fair will truly make with an entire seasson to run Kings Island. 2007 will be very exciting, but the off seasson will be fun once again because of this great site and all the members who make it fun to visit.

Heres looking forward to the winter and the upcoming 2007 seasson, Heres to a great 2006 seasson of change at Kings Island, and last but not least heres to all the member that will join me in the forums this off seasson...

Wow where to start. This has been one of the best seasons i can remember PKI having. But we have to look forward to just King's Island now. From the Son of Beast accident topic that grew about 30 pages in a day to the big news about Cdar Fair butout of paramount parks to the final trip reports it has been a great year. You know it almost brings a tear to your eye to just think that another season is over. I think that we should have another tribute video like we did for the 04 season that is one of my favorite videos. My favorite moment of this season was seeing on the PKI sign, "Last 2 days open, dont miss it!" It is kind of two fold because that means that it is probably the sign's last two days to. I will always remember the final view i had of the Paramount logo over top of the King's Island logo and the Eiffel Tower behind it. RIP Paramount. Thanks for another great season and all the memories!

Geez the offseason already, It just seemed I just stumbled upon this site while looking for NU pics. Little did I know I would become part of the PKIC forums. This has honestly been the best season for me, Thanks to everyone here. From Paramounts sell PKI, the loss of our poor HB friends, the worlds greatest Fearfest, and of course the SOB accident. This has been a heck of a season and can't wait untill 2007. Which leads me to my next question- What will come in 07? Rides? Cleaner park? No more Paramount? It will be one interesting offseason!

Peace,

Collin

Yes, there are a lot of unanswered questions with regards to what changes will be instore for 2007. Hopefully, we will learn some information about the changes before opening day of next year! You stated it best, by saying it will be an interesting offseason. I`m sure as it gets closer to opening day, the buzz around any changes will build, especially if they do some major work on the park`s website.

I'm sure we'll see an attraction of some sort next year...but what? Who knows.

On another note, I must say going up the lift last night on The Beast final rides, I got a little emotional. Every end-of-season, I get a little mushy. I just goes to show how much the park is part of my life (and I'm sure many others as well). It is truly one of the greatest places on earth.

Well, I wouldn`t say it was the signs last day. The did just build it a few years back. But it might just receive a new logo, or at least the removal of part of the current logo for next season. Only time will tell.

I was thinking they could take down the sign with explosives, simultaneously along with Son of Beast - in the style of the Dunes Las Vegas implosion.

Just kidding. It's possible the sign could get a complete makeover, and be stripped down to its structure in the process - or simply have the top replaced/redesigned - or no change at all. And they're still working to reopen Son of Beast.

Now, I'd like to look back on the season now passed. We started off the year 2006 with rumors, some nasty, just after the split of Viacom - where our park fell into the CBS Corp. Hanna-Barbera characters, a staple of Kings Island since its first day in 1972, were almost completely eliminated from the park. Word of budget cuts, inculding on staffing, hours, operations, and even possibly on park improvements made us nervous. Then came the news that Paramount Parks was for sale. What would the future hold for our beloved Kings Island? Who could be the new owner? Would it be a well-known amusement park chain? An investment group? Another media conglomerate wanting to enter the theme park business? Not only were us enthusiasts feeling uneasy, but also those who were employed by the park, as the long wait to pass through the gates of PKI finally came.

Then, it was announced that competitor and highly-regarded Cedar Fair was buying our park and four others. I, among many others, were happy that Kings Island would be in the hands of a company whose sole business is amusement and theme parks - a business whose growth and income differs from films and TV shows. Standards would be raised, policies would be changed, and it seemed that great days would be yet to come.

Then, some blemishes. Son of Beast, which didn't open until late May, had some issues on July 9 that caused about two dozen riders to be injured and taken to area hospitals. Winterfest, which returned for one season after a 13-year hiatus, was cancelled again. And inevitably, as part of any aquisition/merger, some employees lost their jobs.

The end of the 2006 season, on the other hand, went pretty well. A well-done version of FearFest returned, with new mazes and scenery. Season passes went on sale, with the option to visit to visit all three of Ohio's major amusement parks, as well as 10 others throughout North America. And of course, some great days to spend with friends, from park brass, to PKIC celebrities.

Still, we end this noteworthy season, not knowing what 2007 holds. Not knowing what, or even if any, new rides would be coming in. What improvements would be made. Not sure what our park will be called next year! But I am sure that next season will be one of the most exciting in years.

"On another note, I must say going up the lift last night on The Beast final rides, I got a little emotional. Every end-of-season, I get a little mushy. I just goes to show how much the park is part of my life (and I'm sure many others as well). It is truly one of the greatest places on earth."

I Know the reason KI is such a special place, Because you can put all of the war, stress, and hate that you find in the real world. Its a place os sheer fun and it is a great place to get away from it all.

CoastersNsich, I assume you meant Fear Fest and not WinterFest in your second to last paragraph?

Well, I doubt they will strip the sign down to its structural elements. They will most likely simply replace the actual sign portion, which is the PKI logo. When Paramount bought Kings Island in 1992, and renamed the park in 1993 to Paramount`s Kings Island, they simply replaced the old Kings Island logo on the existing marquee with the new PKI logo. As many may know, that sign lasted until a nasty wind blew it down into the parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am new to this forum but some of you do know me as the Undertaker.

I have been coming to Kings Island since it first opened every year, and I always wanted to work here since I was a little boy. I finally got my chance to work in competition games a few years ago. I had so much fun that year I just had to try again the next year, but due to health complications I could not try again until 2005. At that time I went for a fearfest position and got the host of the coolest, most popular mental house their was, (you know)...but before I could even get into my role health issue arose again. If you knew how dissapointed I was not to be a part of history of Kings Island you would have cried, so I got it in my head to get myself in shape and out of any harms way and try again in 2006. When it came time for auditions once again I was very nervous that I might be refused because of last years problems, but to my surprise it seems I was wlcomed with open arms and was offered a new position for Fearfest, The Host (The Undertaker), talk about an honor, I could not beleive my boyhood dream would come true and with a position like that. This gave me the opportunity to make a whole lot of new freinds and put what talents I have to work, now I get to make more freinds than ever on a site I have things in common with other people.

It did sadden me when that last "Fearfest Is Closed...Get Out!" had to come out of my mouth. I really enjoyed doing my job for a change and did not want it to end. I just want to thank Kings Island for giving me the oppertunity to play such a fun role and I mek so many new freinds in the process and I hope they will have the same or simular role for me to perform in 2007.

Thank you all and I hope to see you soon.

The Undertaker :medieval:

Guest kwindshawne

I know I am new to this forum but some of you do know me as the Undertaker.

I have been coming to Kings Island since it first opened every year, and I always wanted to work here since I was a little boy. I finally got my chance to work in competition games a few years ago. I had so much fun that year I just had to try again the next year, but due to health complications I could not try again until 2005. At that time I went for a fearfest position and got the host of the coolest, most popular mental house their was, (you know)...but before I could even get into my role health issue arose again. If you knew how dissapointed I was not to be a part of history of Kings Island you would have cried, so I got it in my head to get myself in shape and out of any harms way and try again in 2006. When it came time for auditions once again I was very nervous that I might be refused because of last years problems, but to my surprise it seems I was wlcomed with open arms and was offered a new position for Fearfest, The Host (The Undertaker), talk about an honor, I could not beleive my boyhood dream would come true and with a position like that. This gave me the opportunity to make a whole lot of new freinds and put what talents I have to work, now I get to make more freinds than ever on a site I have things in common with other people.

It did sadden me when that last "Fearfest Is Closed...Get Out!" had to come out of my mouth. I really enjoyed doing my job for a change and did not want it to end. I just want to thank Kings Island for giving me the oppertunity to play such a fun role and I mek so many new freinds in the process and I hope they will have the same or simular role for me to perform in 2007.

Thank you all and I hope to see you soon.

The Undertaker :medieval:

You did a heck of a job-being gone most of the last 15 years, I had missed most of the changes that had gone on at KI. I came back here in 2001 but did not make it back to the park until 2005. I did not see fearfest last year, and this was the first one I had attended. Very unique idea, and very well done. Hope to see you in the same role next year as well....