Future Winterfest?

beastfan11

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect examples are RUN: Hostile Territory and PsychoScareapy: Maximum Madness at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights Sweet 16, and the return of Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights. Honestly, complaining about the attractions being too gory at FearFest is NOTHING compared to what Universal can pull.

Imagine viewing a scene where a so-called "doctor" is doing spinal surgery on a patient. Unfortunately, the patient never received her anesthesia (or however you spell it), and has her spine pulled out WHILE she's awake. Think Sub-Zero's infamous Spinal Fatality in real life. Oh, and don't forget getting sprayed by water, which is made to make guests feel like it's a bloodbath.

Or (and this one takes the cake) how about strolling through a bathroom that's seen better days. As in brown is the primary color in decoration. It's EVERYWHERE, and the Design Team behind the event went a step further and added the SMELL of dooky to further enhance the experience. Not to mention a few scareactors getting in on the action by pretending to have the runs while inside. (any and all complaints about the porter potty scene from the WorkSite end here.)

And don't even get me started on Hollywood's HHN. This is where the phrase "NO KIDS" is enforced. The event is strictly ADULTS only-everything from the mazes to the shows, which gives it an adult theme (sex, drugs, you name it). Oh yes, and there was blood. Lots of it. It is unbelievable.

And I believe the reason for the complaints is because, and I will say it because I know that it's true, September 11 pretty much destroyed the Haunt industry years back. Everyone, and I mean everyone, had to change their event to make it less gory and more family-friendly. Even the Paramount Parks had to change the FearFest, hence why we received the standard House of Darkness, Maze of Madness, Trail of Terror, Circus of Horrors, and Curse of the Crypt because they were SEVERELY cheap and quick to set up in a very short amount of time in 2001. However, a few years have passed, and when the industry finally decides to get back on its feet and become its old self, this happens.

But know that in no way, shape, or form, am I insulting anyone or putting them down. This is just an opinion, and I agree that EVERYONE'S opinion on the subject matters, whether you love or hate haunted houses. I just feel that because of government affairs and disasters (and then this whole "politically correct" ideal that I'm not even gonna bother to go into), the general public has gotten too scared and frightened in certain areas and don't like the idea of paying to go get scared or look at somebody get their spine ripped out. Or they just get offended by such things as Holiday Horror, which, to me, was a HECK of a lot better and funnier than the crap they pulled with Scream Street because people believed it was offensive to the Christmas tradition. (Had Winterfest continued we wouldn't even be discussing this, and HH was another last minute decision. How do I know? Remember Waste Land?)

But....then why go in the first place?

ya, and i'm tired of people who say" i dont like fearfest things, but thats all i see when i go to the park to ride rides" That is what the park is for durng FF. If your not there to have fun and get scared,ten why are you there comlaining! its people like that who get us cheap subpar fear fese attractions because it's not family friendly. <_<

A LOT of the complaining by fussy-wussies who aren't really there to be frightened by haunts would go away if the park simply did what Carowinds (and HHN) does. CHARGE a separate admission for Fear Fest. Use the money to make it great. And let those who are jamming the park (one of the major complaints about Fear Fest now is that it is too crowded and the lines are too long) help pay down that debt and make Fear Fest better, all at the same time. If fewer people pay more money to have a GREAT (instead of a good) time, everyone benefits: those who go, the park and the park's financial future.

Just make the charge reasonable (like Carowinds $19.99 for regular peeps and 9.99 for passholders). One of the MAJOR reasons Winterfest is not being held this year was it way overpriced last year.

But people still came to the event even if the price was steep. Reason is because the people who live in Mason or close to PKI would rather attend an event at a place that's family-friendly and a safe drive (also why Holidayfest at The Beach is also popular) then go downtown in almost pitch black to the Zoo for the Festival of Lights (which is hidden by trees and buildings).

Then again, you're talking to a group of parkgoers who don't mind paying $125 for a pass that allows them to visit all 12 Cedar Fair parks as many times as they want for a year, yet they complain about paying $20 for an event that hasn't seen the light of day since the mid-90s?

....oh wait, I complained about that. :P Never mind.

But people still came to the event even if the price was steep. Reason is because the people who live in Mason or close to PKI would rather attend an event at a place that's family-friendly and a safe drive (also why Holidayfest at The Beach is also popular) then go downtown in almost pitch black to the Zoo for the Festival of Lights (which is hidden by trees and buildings).

Then again, you're talking to a group of parkgoers who don't mind paying $125 for a pass that allows them to visit all 12 Cedar Fair parks as many times as they want for a year, yet they complain about paying $20 for an event that hasn't seen the light of day since the mid-90s?

....oh wait, I complained about that. :P Never mind.

Problem was that people did not come to the event.

The park (apparently) was handed it's butt in a basket over Winterfest.

Winterfest is a fishy subject. As you guys read in the article, the advertising for Winterfest actually drew people to find alternate forms of holiday entertainment which is why the Beach had a 54% attendance spike.

Can we all agree that Winterfest was wonderful? I'd pay $25 just to see Toy Factory again, but that's just me. Point and case - overpriced. I think we all learned our lesson from it.

Winterfest is a fishy subject. As you guys read in the article, the advertising for Winterfest actually drew people to find alternate forms of holiday entertainment which is why the Beach had a 54% attendance spike.

Can we all agree that Winterfest was wonderful? I'd pay $25 just to see Toy Factory again, but that's just me. Point and case - overpriced. I think we all learned our lesson from it.

I see it staying around for a long long time. i love fearfest and it was much better than last years.

I agree with the halloween cycle thing. but then, How long can we excpect Fearfest to stay around.

I would predict a couple more strong years.

Things seem to trickle down. Halloween as a celebration and a night to go out has pretty much peeked as an event in the larger cities. We're now seeing a down turn of festivities at bars/clubs and etc. Usually, there is a behind the curve gap between what is done in that venue and what is done in the community type areas.

It's similar to the way fashion filters down from what is done on the runways and what is sold at Target to Mom and Pop USA.

The good point is that as Halloween festivities and all decrease, something else will become more and more popular.

All Cyclical.

It should take longer for Sandusky because according to the movie "Tommy Boy" - and Hollywood is always accurate, the only "entertainment" Sandusky has is a Brake factory and "cow-tipping"- with a 32-belly option.

WooferBearATL (is there a shortened version of this)- didn't the park close for the season in early October when you worked there. I seem to remember the park closing early back in the day. Last year was a shade confusing to see "FearFest" active with all of the Winterfest props set up right next door.

Back to a comment that someone made earlier about why KI would care about what Great Wolf Lodge wants. I'm certain that before they made the multi-million dollar decisions to come here, strategic partnerships were formed that allowed for certain perks and seasonal promotions. Otherwise they would have built somewhere else. Great Wolf and PKI probably figured that they could mutually benefit off of each other. Under the logic that they shouldn't care, I'm certain their website would not proudly proclaim "the official Resort of Kings Island."

It benefits hugely for a winter event. filling the rooms in December gives you potentially 2000+ more people in the park.

It should take longer for Sandusky because according to the movie "Tommy Boy" - and Hollywood is always accurate, the only "entertainment" Sandusky has is a Brake factory and "cow-tipping"- with a 32-belly option.

WooferBearATL (is there a shortened version of this)- didn't the park close for the season in early October when you worked there. I seem to remember the park closing early back in the day. Last year was a shade confusing to see "FearFest" active with all of the Winterfest props set up right next door.

Back to a comment that someone made earlier about why KI would care about what Great Wolf Lodge wants. I'm certain that before they made the multi-million dollar decisions to come here, strategic partnerships were formed that allowed for certain perks and seasonal promotions. Otherwise they would have built somewhere else. Great Wolf and PKI probably figured that they could mutually benefit off of each other. Under the logic that they shouldn't care, I'm certain their website would not proudly proclaim "the official Resort of Kings Island."

It benefits hugely for a winter event. filling the rooms in December gives you potentially 2000+ more people in the park.

Park used to actually close in September.

We used to have a terrible time staffing the park after August and I could not even begin to imagine the nightmares staffing through October!

I used to work Winterfest Set Up and can remember some October weekends putting up decorations in my shorts.

<G> You can call Me WB or Trace.

I agree with the halloween cycle thing. but then, How long can we excpect Fearfest to stay around.

I would predict a couple more strong years.

Things seem to trickle down. Halloween as a celebration and a night to go out has pretty much peeked as an event in the larger cities. We're now seeing a down turn of festivities at bars/clubs and etc. Usually, there is a behind the curve gap between what is done in that venue and what is done in the community type areas.

It's similar to the way fashion filters down from what is done on the runways and what is sold at Target to Mom and Pop USA.

The good point is that as Halloween festivities and all decrease, something else will become more and more popular.

All Cyclical.

I guess it depends on the the city...I was in NYC over Halloween, and let's just say that the West Village was hopping! :D

I guess it depends on the the city...I was in NYC over Halloween, and let's just say that the West Village was hopping! :D

Should have seen it in the Hey Day!

Who says I didn't? We're the same age, remember... And, trust me--my life experiences are varied, plentiful, and diverse (and potentially unlawful in a few red states...) ;)

Yep. I just checked the park`s calendar, and they are now slated to open at noon on Saturdays in October. Given the success of the nightly portion, I`m kind of surprised they have extended closing by an hour until 1am. I know there are some issues with minors working that late and all. But, when Fear Fest was a separate gated attractions, its hours were 8pm-1am. With the crowds that they pull in on Saturdays, I`d imagine that the games and merchandise shops would remain fairly busy until they closed. But then again, I haven`t seen any of their numbers.