Future Winterfest?

beastfan11

I remember a day and age when Winterfest was at capacity every weekend and several nights throughout the week. Yes, Winterfest throughout the week. Admission was a fraction of what it was under Paramount. There were no parking charges and there was more entertainment available in the park.

Top it off that there were carriage rides and quite a few more food stands available.

I've said it before, but for Paramount to screw up an event like Winterfest, it had to be run by absolute morons.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When GWL decided to build their hotel at the old camp grounds, one of the things they wanted was winter event at PKI that would help fill their rooms in the winter months. This was when Paramount decided to bring back WinterFest but they made some mistakes in the rush host it again. The admission and parking rates were too high to just name a few. There was lots of interest but people complained about the cost of admission and they were under the impression that they must choose a paticular day to attend. Like any event, it all comes down to turning a profit and the costs involved in changing over the park from Fear Fest and then changing back again to opening again for the regular season. If would venture if CF was to make a business decision to bring it back, the admission and parking rates would be lower and it would be scaled back. Rather than have several attractions that would be costly to operate, they would concentrate on more entertainment, holiday food treats, and gifts for people to enjoy. When we went to WF in the 80's, we took in the shows, music, and most of all, the atmosphear of the season. Time will tell what the future holds for Winter Fest.

Mike

They were under the impression that they must buy a ticket for a particular day because that was the original plan. We were told many times by the then park PR person, Jeff Seibert, that every night would be a sell-out. I will never forget the Charlotte Observer headline about Winterfest: "Walking In An Empty Wonderland."

I also doubt that GWL was that big a factor in bringing it back. There is no GWL in Charlotte, nor was one planned at the time.

In any event, CBS still owns a share of the Great Wolf Lodge, Cedar Fair has no legal interest in it whatsoever.

I have learned to not predict what Cedar Fair might or might not do. After all, who would have predicted that they would pay $1.24 billion for the Paramount Parks? Or that that story would only be number 8 on the most important stories list for the Sandusky Register. What was first, you might ask? Major Floods.

I don't think it will be back, mainly because they couldn't afford to compete with Holidayfest (which saw an astonishing 52% increase in attendance last year...)

Trust me....competing with the Beach had nothing to do with Winterfest not returning. Winterfest could easily compete with Holidayfest if they would have just marketed a little better and lowered prices. When you add in things like all the live entertainment and stuff PKI had more to do than the beach. I don't think there was much competition at all.

When GWL decided to build their hotel at the old camp grounds, one of the things they wanted was winter event at PKI that would help fill their rooms in the winter months. This was when Paramount decided to bring back WinterFest but they made some mistakes in the rush host it again. The admission and parking rates were too high to just name a few. There was lots of interest but people complained about the cost of admission and they were under the impression that they must choose a paticular day to attend. Like any event, it all comes down to turning a profit and the costs involved in changing over the park from Fear Fest and then changing back again to opening again for the regular season. If would venture if CF was to make a business decision to bring it back, the admission and parking rates would be lower and it would be scaled back. Rather than have several attractions that would be costly to operate, they would concentrate on more entertainment, holiday food treats, and gifts for people to enjoy. When we went to WF in the 80's, we took in the shows, music, and most of all, the atmosphear of the season. Time will tell what the future holds for Winter Fest.

Mike

Saying Paramount made some mistakes is like saying that Katrina was a summer shower.

Beer Carts were removed from the park for the safety of the worker and for better control reasons.

The individual carts were very profitable but the sales actually increased when sales were moved specifically into specific locations.

That's an interesting result. Was that because it confined people to a specific area and they hung around longer in that area and drank more?

Beer Carts were removed from the park for the safety of the worker and for better control reasons.

The individual carts were very profitable but the sales actually increased when sales were moved specifically into specific locations.

That's an interesting result. Was that because it confined people to a specific area and they hung around longer in that area and drank more?

The safety?

This is going to sound bad but it's as a result of assault reasons. It is more difficult to reach over a counter and assault someone than it is standing out at a cart. You have to remember that it's up to the server as to if they serve alcohol or not. And people that did not have id's were often difficult. Top it off that the carts were money belt carts (like sipper carts were) and you have an exposure for people trying to rob the workers.

Not to mention that there are almost always people inside stands, both as customers and as workers, to both observe conduct and deter others from acting badly.

Alcohol and parks have never been a combination I have been exactly thrilled by, but nowadays nearly everyone does it, from Disney to Busch (of course) to Cedar Fair. Well, not the folks who run Dollywood and Silver Dollar City!

Paramount Parks tried some alcohol-free years, with disastrous financial results.

Not to mention that there are almost always people inside stands, both as customers and as workers, to both observe conduct and deter others from acting badly.

Alcohol and parks have never been a combination I have been exactly thrilled by, but nowadays nearly everyone does it, from Disney to Busch (of course) to Cedar Fair. Well, not the folks who run Dollywood and Silver Dollar City!

Paramount Parks tried some alcohol-free years, with disastrous financial results.

It was disasterous to the bottom line.

The year that they pulled alcohol was the year that supervisors did not get bonuses. It used to be that supervisor bonuses were based upon park profits. My bonus used to be between 3K and 5K (and that was in the 80's)

There is absolutely no issue with alcohol sales so long as ya know what you're doing.

The safety?

No...the thing you said about alcohol sales increasing after the moving carts went away and sales were restricted to a certain area.

The safety result is kind of intuitive ;)

No...the thing you said about alcohol sales increasing after the moving carts went away and sales were restricted to a certain area.

The safety result is kind of intuitive ;)

What happened were that the alcohol sales drove other food sales. For example - Rivertown Beer Cart was removed and the beer was added to Rivertown Potato Works. The beer sales did not increase (per say) but it drove up the average ticket of items purchased at Pot Works. It was a win win situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the 80's WinterFest. And I remember how I always looked forward to seeing that Tree of Lights from atop of the Eiffel Tower. This was nice to look at just driving past the park, going to visit or not. It was a sure sign of the season. And when Kings Island made the jump and brought back WinterFest in 2005, I remember thinking FINALLY, after years of preaching about how much I miss it, somebody, somewhere had finally preached it to the right people. After years of rumors engulfing the inside of the park. ( which can never truly be believed ) And I remember going to WinterFest AGAIN FOR THE 1st TIME! And I remember thinking that it was different, but that was not the point. The point was that it was here. I was in it. What I had waited years for was all around me. Generations of children can experience this event the same way that I did, and brand new families in the area can experience and be introduced to the concept. It felt like some kind of curse had been lifted to look at it again. Especially that tree of lights! And then it was taken out from under our feet again. After being able to purchase tickets WAY in advance online for 2006. I would give so much for an "07" ticket to grace my fingers, or an "08" or ANY YEAR. This event could really be something. And in my mind it already is.

I remember in 2001, my 1st day back at the park for the year was the 2nd week of February in Merchandise Maintenance. And it was snowing....A LOT! And all that I could think while walking up and down that empty snow covered International Street was that WINTERFEST used to grace the park in this. I kept staring up at the tower, imagining a time when that tree of lights would reflect off of the new falling snow. It was like a peaceful ghost. Desiring so badly to be reborn. Or just memories, trying desperately not to be forgotten.

Anyways, for money to be an issue involving WinterFest, I think is absurd. In just One year, it formed a fanbase that will always want to see it again. This on top of the people who remember what it was in the past, alone says something timeless about the event. And to think that WinterFest actually started BEFORE the Cincinnati Zoo's "Festival of Lights." And if anyone has been there right before Christmas, then you know that it feels like all of Cincinnati and Covington are there. This event has had time to repeat itself, gain a reputation by word of mouth, and it has evolved into something quite major. All that I can say is that it is too bad that WinterFest has not had the same opportunity.

m.f.

• 3 years later...

i couldn't find a thread that was closer to to this particular topic- so I figured I would bring out a topic that had been moth-balled for three years. And NO- I'm not suggesting WinterFest is retunring.

Did anyone happen to noticed that the "star tree top" formerly perched atop the Paramount version of the Eiffel Tower Christmas Tree now lights up the side of the EnterTrainment Junction in West Chester?

I have not noticed that, in part because I don`t go that way very often. It would be interesting. But not totally surprising, especially considering that other relics from KI have turned up at other local attractions in the past. (Not to mention one of the higher ups at EnterTRAINment Junction used to be a higher up at KI.