X-Flight coming to PKI?

Delirium_Guy

I'm not usually one to spread rumors or start them, but this one particularly caught my attention. I was talking to a friend of mine in the Park who is an electrician. He was discussing some of the changes for next season. At random, he mentioned that they were told that X-Flight from Geauga Lake was being moved to the Park. I thought that was quite silly and not even a remote possibility at first. I later hopped on CoasterBuzz. Ironically enough, a new topic had been started stating that the demolition of X-Flight has begun with the electrical components already in the process of being removed. Don't know if its meant for next season, stranger things have happened and a late May / early June opening wouldn't be out of the question at this point. Just thought I'd pass it along, definitely was a fun rumor!

• Like 1

Guest faceoff

I have rode x-flight at geauga lake. I do like the ride and believe geauga lake is not in a position to lose

rides. If KI is going to add coasters, i would love to see a B&M, intamin launched coaster with inversions(

like stormrunner) millennium force type coaster. Is it april yet?

Tom

Guest rollercoasterfreak

. Ironically enough, a new topic had been started stating that the demolition of X-Flight has begun with the electrical components already in the process of being removed. Don't know if its meant for next season, stranger things have happened and a late May / early June opening wouldn't be out of the question at this point. Just thought I'd pass it along, definitely was a fun rumor!

I beleve you because I checked it out too. they have started demolishing it! but I can't wait till they ship it in!!!!!!

Last time I checked, GL was considering adding on ride photos to the ride. Everything that has been said to have been "demolished" has been electrical units. Does it not make sense that they are just prolly adding ORPs to X-Flight?

If I remember correctly you can see this coaster from the road. If they are taking it down you would have seen some photos of it.

It's good to see someone on these forums makes some sense.

If this was to happen it sure would be a moment of strong irony, considering back when PP co-ventured into the development of the flying coasters with Vekoma they purchased that exclusive deal that would only allow the flying coasters in Paramount Parks for 5 years....X-Flight was actually in the second build of these coasters and was originally going to go to PKI (rumored site was the Italian Job site). Then Stealth had so many problems that PP broke the contract and allowed other parks to buy up the coasters that were already designed and started manufacturing....thats when Six Flags came in and bought up X-Flight for GL, and one other one (I forget which park that was).

Although I have to admit....I think this is a stretch, I cant really see Cedar Fair pulling out one of the big coasters at GL, especially when Steel Venom (Superman) is supposedly damaged beyond fesible repair after the accident this summer.

So what I’m hearing you say is that X-Flight was suppose to come to PKI a while back! Man that would have been a nice coaster to had at PKI.

If only we could turn back time. Well here’s to wishing for our long lost Coaster in finding it’s way to its original destined home.

As much as I hate to see Geauga Lake lose a coaster, losing at least one might not be a bad idea since the park isn't bringing in the amount of guests that it had just a few to several years ago. The removal of X-Flight also frees up a lot of space for parking - since the coaster was built on part of the parking lot after the 2000 season.

Also note the south-southwest area of the park, called "Crap Corner" by some employees there, has had issues in the past few years. First, the Hurricane Harbor/Hannah's water park has been downsized, then closed altogether. Also, the Belaire Express monorail has not operated at all this season, and is supposedly going to be demolished.

Now, if I had the choice of which Geauga Lake coaster to send to Kings Island, it would be Dominator, and finally fill the park's need for a B&M- BUT it would make Geauga Lake less attractive. In addition, that B&M Floorless just looks feels better on the swampy portion of the lake than it does on some pice of land in Mason.

I'm mixed on the possibility of getting X-Flight - it's a (sorta new) kind of coaster many in our region have never been on, and would simply put be another coaster for our park to do, and take away from some of the park's lines. It has a dual-loading station, that, when used properly, can keep lines moving. That means good staffing, and good, on-the-ball employees. Will guests feel Kings Island is going the cheap route by adding a previously used coaster? Many of the rides installed in 1972 were at Coney Island until 1971 - this would be the first time since then KI has installed a used ride.

To address some on the board, I haven't seen photographic evidence that X-Flight was truly being dismantled, so I am speculating for the most part. The electrical work could possibly be due to the addition of an on-ride photo system - but wouldn't they be doing this in March or April, not the November prior to the next season? I can believe that this coaster is leaving Geauga Lake, but I'm unsure whether it's going to Kings Island or another park.

So what I’m hearing you say is that X-Flight was suppose to come to PKI a while back! Man that would have been a nice coaster to had at PKI.

If only we could turn back time. Well here’s to wishing for our long lost Coaster in finding it’s way to its original destined home.

Back in the summer of 1999 when Stealth was being built. All the local tv stations showed a POV of stealth and said that a coaster like this was coming in 2000, but we got Son of Beast. I found some pictures of X-Flight and Batwing the other flying coaster at RCDB. The pictures are old but you can see how much room and what they look like.

X-Flight

Batwing

If this was to happen it sure would be a moment of strong irony, considering back when PP co-ventured into the development of the flying coasters with Vekoma they purchased that exclusive deal that would only allow the flying coasters in Paramount Parks for 5 years....X-Flight was actually in the second build of these coasters and was originally going to go to PKI (rumored site was the Italian Job site).

While most of what you said was right, a lot of it is just urban legend. X flight was never purchased with intent to come to PKI, Stealth was. Paramount Parks originalyl wanted to install Stealth at PKI but the current park manager, Tim Fischer, declined the concept and instead wanted to go through with the Son of Beast" idea. Paramount Parks then decided to install the coaster at Paramount's Great America. After onyl a few seasons Stealth was planned to be removed from PGA and relocated to another park so that the landlocked PGA could install a waterpark. The proposal was given to Tim Fischer of PKI once again, this time PKI was offered to have Stealth relocated to them, but they passed it up in favor of other concepts and the ride was moved to Paramount's Carowinds.

Did anyone listen to the Conference call from last week? I saw a comment on Geauga Guide which said "Footprint too large for their attendance figures" which based on the other comments it sounded like it came from the Conference call and I wanted to make sure its a real comment from Dick Kinzel.

The reason I wanted to double check is that comment makes me think something is being moved, removed, or closed. I don't know if its going to be x-flight but I expect some changes to make the park cheaper to run.

I would think that Cedar Fair would scrap Steel Venom, Close Dino Island, or remove Happy Harbor before they move X-Flight. But for a park its size and for the number of guests it gets it has an insane number of coasters. I had to check on rcdb but Geauga Lake has 10 and King's Island has 13. GL's attendance is around 700,000 while KI's is around 3.3 million. If it does get moved or steel venom does not get repaired I could understand why. Cedar Fair is spending a lot of money on the park and I would be surprised if it is even close to breaking even right now.

My understanding is that Cedar Fair is going to reveal what its plans are for the parks by the end of the month so I would think if we just wait a few weeks we will know for sure and we can stop all the crazy guesses.

Yes, that is a valid point. But, before 2000 when the park was rebranded and had four coasters added, the park was doing fine. Granted, the removal of any of the newer coasters would kill part of the draw that this struggling park has. But it will not completely doom the park if they remove one of their coasters. That park is a very nice park (I visited it in 2002 when it was in its Six Flags Worlds of Adventure days). It is always nice to visit a park that has some really old rides (like the Big Dipper) sprinkeled amongst some newer thrill rides.

The removal of one key ride won`t necessarily remove all the soul from Geauga Lake. But it would kill some of it. Just like the removal of the Eagles from KI took away a little bit of the classic feel/soul of KI.

• Like 1

You may be right, but Geauga has only a few really key rides and if you removed them it would really be taking the soul away from the park.

Actually, the soul got sucked out of the Park by Six Flags. I gotta agree with what others said, the Park operated just fine before the Six Flags umbrella was extended. Seeing the numbers the Park has had the past few seasons, the conference call that just took place, I strongly believe that big changes are on the way to Geauga Lake. I think its days as a big player are over, afterall, where is the need to compete now? The bigger competition, actually, is Kennywood. Kennywood has a very loyal fan base. Thats not going to change. Why NOT just operate the Park as mostly a water park? Afterall, the water park is what drew most of the crowds in this season anyway. It would make perfect sense for Cedar Fair to downsize the dry park, but continue to develope the water park aspect of the property. With such a short drive to Sandusky, the majority of those people already make their trip to Cedar Point anyway.

As for X-Flight moving. Yes, its by the road. So if actual removal of the structure is taking place, yes you will be able to see it. What was said that the electrical components were being removed at this point. I highly doubt that needs to take place just to add an on-ride photo system. But, one never knows. Sure will be an interesting off season......

• Like 1

Guest kwindshawne

I was just kinda looking at this coaster and couldn't get a really good look at the restraints and such-for you women out there, how are the restraints for this? looks a little uncomfortable to me :unsure: