X-Flight coming to PKI?

Delirium_Guy

I looked around and found some old attendance figures for GL from the 70's and 80's. In 1970 the park had 470,000 guests it went up to 900,000 in 1980 and it went into the 90's with around 1 million guests a year. This was while Sea World was still running and well before most of the costers were built. Out of the 10 coasters 7 were built between 1996 and 2001. The park did really well as a family park and its failing as a thrill park. I believe it needs to get back to its roots and put in more family friendly attractions. I don't know if moving or removing a coaster is the right thing to do but something has to be done.

I am not sure how Cedar Fair is run but its common for many companies to run divisions (or parks in this case) as seperate parties and they have to purchase things from each other. In this case if the ride were to move to another park I would expect the park that gets the ride would "pay" the other out of its budgets. This could give Geauga Lake some extra cash for next season plus the removal of an attraction would free up money in other budgets around the park.

When I went this summer there was very little crowd for a friday when the park was open till 10 and we had most of what we wanted to do done by 4 o clock. It was a great park but is in no way family friendly. Even with light crowds it was near impossible to manuever around the midways. The park needs a lot done to it and needs a family friendly image.

• Like 1

I don`t know how Cedar Fair works, but I don`t think that whatever park gets the ride, if it is in fact being removed, would have to "pay" GL for the ride, assuming that it is moved to another Cedar Fair park of course. I believe that most of the capital expenditures at the parks are handled at a coporate level, and not so much at an individual park level.

I would assume it was. But you have to remember that it was under Paramount Parks then, so things were a little different with how they handled capital expenditures. I believe it was up to the individual parks to recommend what projects they wanted, but it was ultimately up to the corporate offices which projects were approved. I`m sure, as in the case of Stealth/Borg Assimilator, that it was a move instigated, at least in part, by the corporate offices. Much like the rumored plan to move Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion to either Carowinds or Canada`s Wonderland.

While most of what you said was right, a lot of it is just urban legend. X flight was never purchased with intent to come to PKI, Stealth was. Paramount Parks originalyl wanted to install Stealth at PKI but the current park manager, Tim Fischer, declined the concept and instead wanted to go through with the Son of Beast" idea. Paramount Parks then decided to install the coaster at Paramount's Great America. After onyl a few seasons Stealth was planned to be removed from PGA and relocated to another park so that the landlocked PGA could install a waterpark. The proposal was given to Tim Fischer of PKI once again, this time PKI was offered to have Stealth relocated to them, but they passed it up in favor of other concepts and the ride was moved to Paramount's Carowinds.

Im sorry to disagree with you, but as I said in my post....when Paramount Parks Design went into the devolment with Vekoma for this design of coaster they went into with a deal that PP would install these coasters in their parks over the following 5 years and they held an exclusive clause that meant PP were they only company these coasters would be available to. Stealth was always slated to go to PGA, in fact the coaster was designed using that parks layout. You are correct, X-Flight was never purchased to come to PKI, but it was originally being designed for the park. The second set of the flying coaster (X-Flight) was the one slated to come to PKI. When PGA's version was plauged with problems, thats when Paramount backed out, even though the coaster was already being manufactured.

On top of that Tim Fischer wasnt even at PKI when they were deciding where to move Stealth.

Really the restraints are very comfortable. The restraints over the chest are more like a harness and actually have some give to them. Think of a hangliding harness more or less. I have heard that the leg restraints can give muscle cramps in the lower leg, but have never experienced it myself. Honestly the restraints are pretty comfortable especailly seeing as how you basically hang in them the entire ride.

Whomever posted a link to the Coasterbuzz site, you need to read the thread again. No one has said any dismantling, only a little electrical work. Anyhoo, I don't think X-Flight or Dominator will be moved from GL. Those are the only two unique coasters in that park.

Now....although I usually take what is posted to Screamscape with a grain of salt, here is a notice from todays, news and rumor update:

Park News - (11/6/06) I’m not really sure where this rumor is coming from, but there is a false rumor going around claiming that X-Flight is currently being dismantled for removal from the park. Local sources confirm that this is totally bogus and that the coaster isn’t going anywhere. The removal rumor is also connected with a report claiming that it would move to Paramount’s Kings Island for placement behind Flight of Fear, which also makes no sense considering how close the two parks are and the fact that Cedar Fair doesn’t seem to like the idea of moving coasters from one park to another.

This isnt Six Flags or even Paramount Parks. Cedar Fair really doesnt believe in moving rides. Let alone a signature attraction at a struggling park. Yeah that makes sense.

Yes, they didnt believe in rotating rides and marketing htem as new attractions, but now they've accumulated about 1 billion dollars in debt and I'm sure while they're still a profitbale company, they're going to be pinching their pennys a little. In a recent conference call Kinzel said "geauga lakes footprint is too big for what it brings in" and noted that the park has soaring maintenance costs and too small a staff to cover all the maintenace needs. Could X flight be moved to PKI? Yeah its a possibility and I'm sure theres some who know but do they tell the internet? Nope. No one can give credit nor take it away to this rumor because none of us have inside ties that are so reliable that we can officialy categorize this rumor as true or false. If you read Geauga Guide certain people claiming to be x flight ride crew members say it could never happen, but speaking as a former ride op, the ride ops are never told anything confidential and never receive vital info before the GP. Anyone whos running their mouth claiming to know something doesnt really know whats going on. THe top of the coaster can be seen from the parking lot but you cant see the station or que line from the road. So if someone wants to show some proof, some local should just walk up in the lot and snap a few pics.

It wasn't that long ago that no one liked that coaster now everyone thinks they want it. I still feel the same about it and don't care if I ever ride it again.

I heard it cost as much to relocate a coaster as it does to get a new one. Knowing that I think you would want something new if they are going to put that much money into something.

Just because its on Scream Scape that doesn't mean its true.

Half of the rumors that go on there are false anyway.

I know.....hense why I put that I usually take what they post with a grain of salt. Sometimes they are accurate, but sometimes they couldnt be further from the truth.

I was in no way saying that just because they posted it, it was over with. I think running the rumor mill is a great way to spend the off season and it should keep on spinning.

It wasn't that long ago that no one liked that coaster now everyone thinks they want it. I still feel the same about it and don't care if I ever ride it again.

I heard it cost as much to relocate a coaster as it does to get a new one. Knowing that I think you would want something new if they are going to put that much money into something.

I really have no idea where you're coming from. I really loved x-Flight. It was my favorite ride at Geauga except for the Villian.

I really have no idea where you're coming from. I really loved x-Flight. It was my favorite ride at Geauga except for the Villian.

:lol:

The Villian is the biggest joke in the world!

Something must be going on with X-Flight even if they are changing a brake section out or somthing because these rumors usually have some sort of basis.