X-Flight coming to PKI?

Delirium_Guy

Well, since I am an architecture student, I have taken a structures class where for about a week, we learned all about concrete (water to cement ratio, different finishes, admixtures and more, but I`ll stick to the related topic here). For colder temperatures, without adding any admixtures to the mix of concrete, the curing process will slow down. And if the water freezes before it can react with the cement (a chemical reaction. The water doesn`t "evaporate") then there are problems. So, when they pour in cold weather, they add an admixture called an accelerator. As its name implies, it accelerates the curing process, and allows them to pour concrete in colder weather. In the summer, the problem is the opposite. The heat and humidity cause the concrete to cure much faster. So they often add an admixture called a retarder to slow down the curing process so that the concrete crews have ample time to vibrate and finish the concrete. I don`t know how much the admixtures cost for concrete. Of course, it depends on how much concrete you are ordering.

Generally, concrete will reach about 65-70% of its compressive strength after seven days. By 28 days, it will have obtained about 90% of its compressive strength. Those numbers are assuming about room temperature numbers. See above for what cold weather and warm weather do to the curing strength.

Sorry... I shouldn't of said next year... I know 100% that we're getting X-Flight but I can't remember if she said she knew it was this year or the next... A reason I believe her is because she doesn't follow up on roller coasters and she doesn't really care... She previously had no idea what X-Flight was and she didn't even know where it was from... She just said her manager told her that they had just finished a meeting and they said they were getting a rollercoaster called X-Flight... She knew I am a fan and she told me that the ride was X-Flight and it was a flying type rollercoaster... Then I got on here to see if there was anything on it getting dismantled etc. and I saw this topic. It was a huge surprise to me because I was expecting a flat ride... I didn't think, and don't know how they will be able to get it in for '07...

There is not one thing in this paragraph that convinces me we are 100% or any kind of % that we are getting X Flight. Someone who doesn't know coasters, where they are located or the simple fact it is a coaster doesn't convince me that she knows any more than ride ops. I hate to use this old phrase that has been beaten to death around here, but, Those who know, don't tell. Those who tell, don't know.

Note that in the article (which has been picked up by tv stations and other Ohio newspapers, such as Akron) Brian Edwards, the Cedar Fair spokesman quoted, says he doesn't know where X Flight is going. Fine.

Note too that PKI's Maureen has frequently been quoted as saying that Son of Beast WILL reopen next season. Folks, park spokespeople say what they are authorized to say. Nothing more. Brian probably doesn't know where X Flight is going, as he has purposely not been told so he can honestly deal with the press. And Maureen has been told the park intends to open Son of Beast next year. Which it no doubt does, at the moment. . .

It is always helpful to remember that parks are businesses, that businesses make decisions, that sometimes they change, and that sometimes they say things that are planned that later turn out not to happen (remember when Jeff Seibert told the press and others that Racer would be getting its old red, white and blue paint job again? I'm sure that when he said that, it was in the plans. Or that Son of Beast would have urethane wheels and be built entirely with SunCor wood?)

If this ride were to be re-located to KI, did I read on here it would be in the FOF area? Sort of like, turn left to FoF, turn right to X-Flight? Is that the area? Neat idea to think of the park branching out into new areas...

Very interesting, and that does shed new light on this rumor. Of course they would not tell what park the ride is going to, when the park it's going too hasn't even made an announcement. Could it be KI? I guess we will find out probably very soon.

Very interesting, and that does shed new light on this rumor. Of course they would not tell what park the ride is going to, when the park it's going too hasn't even made an announcement. Could it be KI? I guess we will find out probably very soon.

Well lets see who can be eliminated.....

Knotts -- new spinning coaster coming & confirmed at IAAPA to be from MACK Rides

Valleyfair -- Renegade GCI wood coaster

Cedar Point - Maverick

Carowinds - Borg already in operation

Kings Dominion - Waterpark Expansion

Dorney - new slide for Wild Water Kingdom

Great America - Guess anything is possible but why re-install a ride that never went over well in the first place

So that would leave Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island, Michigan's Adventure and Worlds of Fun

Worlds of Fun just received Patriot for 2006, a hefty investment. Its certainly possible, but doesn't seem likely that they would follow that up with another major coaster addition such as X-Flight

Michigan's Adventure hasn't received a major coaster addition since Shivering Timbers in 1998. While it seems logical that they would be the perfect choice, I keep thinking about one thing. X-Flight is being removed essentially because the attendance the Lake is getting does not support the cost of maintaining rides such as that. Michigan's Adventure, if I recall correctly, may possibly attract around a million visitors a year, but I think it may be lower around 800,000 to 900,000. Can THEY support a ride like X-Flight, I think the answer is no, but again we just don't know!

Canada's Wonderland certainly could use the ride, but there have always been rumors circulating since the takeover that CF is not interested in Wonderland and has been looking to unload the Park. Crazy rumor, yes, but makes you wonder how much they will invest in the park.

Kings Island honestly seems like the most logical choice. No MAJOR coaster addition since Son of Beast and NO I don't consider IJ a major coaster. The thrill ride department has certainly been much neglected over the past several years. Kings Island certainly could support the ride and majority of the people who visit will have never even known X-Flight existed at Geauga Lake.

Its fun to speculate, hopefully not much longer until the truth comes out.

- Todd

• Like 1

Has anyone else here ridden Stealth at PGA and then Borg at Carowinds? I rode the later in its inaugural year at PC and Stealth in its last year at PGA. I noticed a huge difference. The capacity was better, the ride looked a lot better, the theming was in tip-top shape, and the location in the center of the park was impecable! I see a recurrance of this situation coming next year.

If you think about it from a business standpoint, it makes sense to move XFlight here. Yeah it's not a new ride, but it's new enough and novel enough to bring some attendance to the park. Everyone's been complaining about "we need a new coaster"...myself included, and this is a way to do it at a very minimal cost. Its a win win situation for the company, Geauga lowers their operating costs (which they need to do), Kings Island gets a much needed new thrill coaster (pretty much for free nonetheless), and XFlight gets a new lease on life. They haven't needed to use the dual loading platform for years because of low ridership, and thats not because it's a bad ride. It's a good ride in a park that has low attendance, and it would be better used in a park that already has a large attendance base. The people that unfortunately lose out are those Xflight fans who live near Geauga.

Hehehehe it sure does as if it is. If comes out to be true, it will be very shocking, and exciting. X-flight isn't a bad coaster at all. And what better way to had a different type of coaster to PKI's line up.

Shocking and Exciting - X-Flight (or what ever they may name it)

Well Overdue - The return of the campgrounds?

Fun - Snoopy on Ice?

Only one week left in November, so if they do plan on making the announcement this month we will know soon enough.

Well, you might be waiting a while before Kings Island says anything about the 2007 season and what new, if any, products they will be offering. Keep in mind, that KI likes to make announcements when it can get its name out there to entice people to buy passes.

I know and I'm sorry I don't have much evidence to tell you... I can't tell you the whole story... But does it seem like a coincidence to you that my cousin who doesn't know anything about roller coasters just happened to find out about a ride named X-Flight being moved from another park to King's Island before anything was said about it being dismantled and now it's said it's being dismantled... I don't see how this would mean it is at another park... But believe whatever you want to believe... I'm done with this thread... there's no reason for me to check up on it anymore.

I'm positive it is coming to King's Island...

Delerium Guy, I think we can eliminate Canada's Wonderland... as they have this:

RCDB

.... I hardly think they need 2 flying coasters, if you call that piece of c**p they have a "flying" coaster... :P

Yes I was thinking that too. They have TR:TR which is there flying coaster. I heard it was bad. I can't wait to hear more about this though. Or the offical word.

Delerium Guy, I think we can eliminate Canada's Wonderland... as they have this:

RCDB

.... I hardly think they need 2 flying coasters, if you call that piece of c**p they have a "flying" coaster... :P

LOL, I realized that after I posted that! Tomb Raider is such a low key ride and has had such a negative response to it. But yeah, no need for TWO Flying Coasters :-) Seriously, I honestly believe that IF X-Flight were to make a reappearance in 2007, PKI certainly seems to be the most likely recipient. I think its a great move on Cedar Fair's part. While it sucks for Geauga Lake to be losing such a major attraction, I think in the long run people will realize it will be for the best. I also don't think this is the last we hear of attractions moving from that park to others.

- Todd