What Happened To Flight Commander?

Hank

A women fell to her death from the ride. After that most of the rides only lasted a few more years. Very few of them are still opperating today. If you want to try to track down a park still running one they were built by Intamin and were called Flight Trainers.

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that the ride was removed in 1995 and I am pretty sure it did not go anywhere it was just destroyed

Guest kwindshawne

Wonderland Sydney was demolished last year.

The former KI Zodiac was there, and it was sold to Sunway Lagoon Park in Malaysia where it has yet to be rebuilt. the ride was damaged during disassembly.

I never got to ride it-it was there and gone before I camer back. :(

The former KI Zodiac was there, and it was sold to Sunway Lagoon Park in Malaysia where it has yet to be rebuilt. the ride was damaged during disassembly.

Wonderland sydney? Australia?

Guest kwindshawne

I thought she fell out because she was drunk or something and they said it was due to riders fault. So why in the world would they demolish the ride if it was because of rider error.

CYA-better safe than sorry

Guest kwindshawne

I hated zodiac-didn't feel safe to me

It was still sad to see all those demolition pics-especially of zodiac even though I hated that ride. Always sad to see something that used to be at our park end up like that

It was still sad to see all those demolition pics-especially of zodiac even though I hated that ride. Always sad to see something that used to be at our park end up like that

What on Earth felt Unsafe about Zodiac?

Guest kwindshawne

What on Earth felt Unsafe about Zodiac?

The fact the gondolas were held on by chains only-didn't like the feel of it when we were in the air

Guest kwindshawne

Somebody said:

I say:

Where can I see these pictures?

http://www.wonderland.com.au/

I can't get my link thing to work with this new service, but that is a great site on it. I did like the paint scheme they put on zodiac at that park

I thought she fell out because she was drunk or something and they said it was due to riders fault. So why in the world would they demolish the ride if it was because of rider error.

As PKIBeast said, it was a combination of both rider error and ride itself. Yes, she was heavily intoxicated during the ride. Due to the lack of a seat divider in the capsule, when she went to flip it upside down, she slid right over to the other side and out she came. Sad, I actually enjoyed Flight Commander. I was fortunate to get to ride the version out at PGA before they got rid of it. Yet another PKI flat ride to bite the dust.

- Todd

I actually had a similar experience on Flight Comander. Given I didnt fall to my death, but when I flipped it over I slid to the side we rolled over on and also my legs came over my head. The restraints were sufficent enough to keep me in, but still fet extremely unsafe on that ride.

Also about feeling safe on Zodiac, I acutually always felt unsafe on that ride, because of the chains holding the gondola. From growing up on a farm we used logging chains that size all the time and yes they do break and they are easier to break than you would think. This is the same reasson I rarely will get on a sky ride, because I dont trust a single steel cable with my life. Snapped a few quarter and half inch diamter cables also in my time. Give me rails and Im just fine.

Guest kwindshawne

I actually had a similar experience on Flight Comander. Given I didnt fall to my death, but when I flipped it over I slid to the side we rolled over on and also my legs came over my head. The restraints were sufficent enough to keep me in, but still fet extremely unsafe on that ride.

Also about feeling safe on Zodiac, I acutually always felt unsafe on that ride, because of the chains holding the gondola. From growing up on a farm we used logging chains that size all the time and yes they do break and they are easier to break than you would think. This is the same reasson I rarely will get on a sky ride, because I dont trust a single steel cable with my life. Snapped a few quarter and half inch diamter cables also in my time. Give me rails and Im just fine.

I have seen that same thing on the farm I worked at, which is why I didn't trust it either....

As PKIBeast said, it was a combination of both rider error and ride itself. Yes, she was heavily intoxicated during the ride. Due to the lack of a seat divider in the capsule, when she went to flip it upside down, she slid right over to the other side and out she came. Sad, I actually enjoyed Flight Commander. I was fortunate to get to ride the version out at PGA before they got rid of it. Yet another PKI flat ride to bite the dust.

- Todd

Hey Todd, thanks for the info and for clearning some of that up. I have a question for you, now a days ride manufacturer's reccomend that when a seat is empty the lap bar be down regardless, or thats atleast how the policy at PKI has been in recent years whether thats manufacturer's reccomendation or park policy but wasnt the woman riding Flight Commander riding alone and the seat next to her had the restraint up and thats why she was so easily flung? I dont know if thats true and always took it with a grain of salt but thought maybe you would know. Also, why was PGA's flight trainer removed and did any of the other Taft/Keco parks have these?

-Thanks

- Todd

Hey Todd, thanks for the info and for clearning some of that up. I have a question for you, now a days ride manufacturer's reccomend that when a seat is empty the lap bar be down regardless, or thats atleast how the policy at PKI has been in recent years whether thats manufacturer's reccomendation or park policy but wasnt the woman riding Flight Commander riding alone and the seat next to her had the restraint up and thats why she was so easily flung? I dont know if thats true and always took it with a grain of salt but thought maybe you would know. Also, why was PGA's flight trainer removed and did any of the other Taft/Keco parks have these?

-Thanks

Kings Dominion also had a Flight Trainer. It was called Sky Pilot. I got to ride in 1998 which I believe it was it's last year of operation. I believe Knotts had one too. I use to hate Flight Commander at first, but once I Rode an upside down Pirate Ship I started to really enjoy Flight Commander. Boy do I miss that ride. But to answer your question I did hear that the restraint on the empty seat was left open or not closed all the way.

You know something that is sad? I still remember the Flight Commander Spiel. "When the ride comes to a stop a buzzer will sound and the red light above you will switch to green, at this time please push the orange gate forward and board your capsule, thank you and enjoy the ride. To release your restraints push down then push forward push down then push forward".

Also dont forget you can view a video of Flight Commander on this site.

http://www.pkicentral.com/parkinfo/history/videos.php

I got to ride Flight Commander once. I thought it was pretty cool. What I am wondering is, why couldn't they have done a re-design and made models later that solved the restraint issue. I'm not positive, but I don't think a lot of parks had these. Or, did the stigma ruin that idea?

Right you are. It went to Playcenter in Brazil:

PLAYCENTER �" É o maior parque de diversões da cidade. Oferece aproximadamente 50 atrações que são renovadas periodicamente. As principais atrações são o Flight Commander, Evolution, Montanha Russa, Barca Viking, Castelo do Horrores, a maior Roda Gigante do Brasil e os novíssimos Skycoaster ( mistura de asa-delta com pára-quedas ) e o Turbo Drop ( torre de 60 metros de altura de onde se desce em 3 segundos a aproximadamente 70km/h ) .

Shawn Hass of International Theme Park Services has also confirmed this in the past.

Not to be a wet dishrag, but I always found this ride to be somewhat of a bore, and seldom rode it at PKI, PKD, PGA or Knott's...

There was redundancy on the chains. There was also a steel cable that attatched to each of the gondolas.

Guest kwindshawne

- Todd

-Thanks

Kings Dominion also had a Flight Trainer. It was called Sky Pilot. I got to ride in 1998 which I believe it was it's last year of operation. I believe Knotts had one too. I use to hate Flight Commander at first, but once I Rode an upside down Pirate Ship I started to really enjoy Flight Commander. Boy do I miss that ride. But to answer your question I did hear that the restraint on the empty seat was left open or not closed all the way.

You know something that is sad? I still remember the Flight Commander Spiel. "When the ride comes to a stop a buzzer will sound and the red light above you will switch to green, at this time please push the orange gate forward and board your capsule, thank you and enjoy the ride. To release your restraints push down then push forward push down then push forward".

Also dont forget you can view a video of Flight Commander on this site.

http://www.pkicentral.com/parkinfo/history/videos.php

That was interesting. I had heard so much about this ride but had never seen it in action-thanks to whoever filmed it. Maybe seatbelts could have prevented the woman's death?? (Provided she didn't undo it in flight)