For UC Students

CoasterKrazy

For those students of the University of Cincinnati who are familiar with the Main Street Cinema located within Tangeman University Center, have you noticed the similarity between the style of lights used on the Cinema walls, and those found in the queue of Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle?

I realize this is probably just a coincidence, but I was just wondering if anyone happened to know of any connections (contractors, designers, etc.) between the two buildings and their lighting. The only two places I have seen these "port-hole" lights are on the UC campus and at KI.

Well, seeing as how I am an architecture student at UC`s DAAP, I might be able to shed some light on this. The firm Gwathmey Siegel and Associates was responsible for the transformation and remodeling of the original TUC building. I believe that local firm RSL Commercial Architecture was responsible for the facade work (and possibly some interior alterations) for SDatHC.

If I had to guess, it was just coincidence that similar fixtures were spec`d for both projects.

A couple of other things about the UC campus:

I read that the Teacher's College building is getting a major renovation, starting January 2007, and to be completed mid 2008. It's had some remodeling not too long ago, but a lot of the building as things that date back to the 1930s, including the stairwells, as well as men's restrooms where half the stalls don't have doors. Not surprised that the 1 year construction hiatus is coming to an end.

Sawyer Hall, one of the three similar high-rise apartment towers, was demolished over the 2005-06 year. It was originally supposed to be renovated, but I guess during the project, they ended up destroying it altogether. Does anyone know why it was torn down?

Which lights are we talking about in SDATHC?

Of course you wouldnt know, you go to that concrete city across the river aka No Knowledge University.

Hey, let's talk about this!

I DO go to NKU and am part of the college of business... an INERNATIONALLY acredited college, mind you. PLUS, when I graduate and get a job, I'm probably going to be successful based off of my intellect and cunning, not a piece of paper saying that I have a bachelor's degree!

I don`t know why they tore down Sawyer Hall, one of the "Three Sisters." But I do know that they plan on renovating the other two. They are even going to have some architecture classes in there apparantely this coming quarter from what my studio professor said in the summer. For only being ten years old, the addition to DAAP is already almost full, due in part to Nancy Zimpher mandating increased program sizes.

It is nice to have no construction fences up on campus anymore.

The lights in question on Scooby are the ones that line the corridor right before the loading platform and right after the queue room, I believe. I can`t recall where the similar lights are at in TUC.

Which lights are we talking about in SDATHC?

Of course you wouldnt know, you go to that concrete city across the river aka No Knowledge University.

Hey, let's talk about this!

I DO go to NKU and am part of the college of business... an INERNATIONALLY acredited college, mind you. PLUS, when I graduate and get a job, I'm probably going to be successful based off of my intellect and cunning, not a piece of paper saying that I have a bachelor's degree!

And you'll probably end up being my boss, but thats ok cause I'll end up being Bills.

• 2 weeks later...

The lights I was referring to are the blue "port hole" lights found in the hallway of the SDATHC queue after passing through the "Secret Passage." The lights in Tangeman University Center's Main Street Cinema (and as I've noticed recently, several of the lights in Turner Hall, sans grating) are white, however, and not blue.

As a Civil and Environmental Engineering major at UC, the company associated with the removal of Sawyer Hall (and several other companies dealing with construction projects on campus) presented to ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) last year. The plans for the Sawyer Hall renovation were several years old, about seven or eight years if my memory serves me correctly. As demolition began, the intent was to renovate the building, but upon further review, the university determined that the designs were not up to current UC building standards, which from what I understand, deal mainly with efficiency. It would have required a large amount of money to re-do the designs, so the university decided to nix the renovation and go for the $7 million demolition.

Interesting fact: Sawyer Hall would have been imploded, similar to Sander Hall, but because the utilities to all three Sisters run through the [former] basement of Sawyer, which includes natural gas, an implosion wouldn't be the best idea.

CoasterRZ, I want to say I remember hearing that the renovation of the other two Sisters was on hold, as the university decided whether to renovate or remove and re-build. I could be wrong though.

Teacher's College and Dyer Hall are both in stage two of a three stage renovation. There is currently not set date for completion.