Beast backwards?

touchdown62

It would be the same rate of G's. You arent changing the track banking, speed, or aerodynamics (well this you will slightly but it will slow the train down) to change the G rate.

The logistics on it are interesting though. It wont happen because of the alignment of the mag brakes. You would have to flop everything around the train, including the fins for the mag brakes, and that you would have to properly realign like they did the first time for the brakes. Not much error can be executed on those things.

I've said this before, but let me say it again..

This is unconfirmed, but it has always been my understanding that trains can only be turned backwards if the patrons can reasonably predict the course of action enough for the ride to be successfully completed in a safe manner.

Does this mean The Beast can't be turned backwards? Not at all, but I'm sure there is more red tape involved than just the mechanical aspect of it.

Guest kwindshawne

I've said this before, but let me say it again..

This is unconfirmed, but it has always been my understanding that trains can only be turned backwards if the patrons can reasonably predict the course of action enough for the ride to be successfully completed in a safe manner.

Does this mean The Beast can't be turned backwards? Not at all, but I'm sure there is more red tape involved than just the mechanical aspect of it.

I wouldn't ride it...period.

And in Ohio, the ride manufacturer must agree to the change.

Good luck.

Unless the coaster was originally designed with backwards operation in mind, it isn't going to happen in this day and age. Too many reasons, from insurance to operational concerns.

In fact, the last several CCI's that were delivered actually had plaques that included the words: "Forward operation only."

It would take a considerable amout of work to make a train able to run backward. Think about it, the chain dogs are all angled one direction, the would have to be retrofitted to run the other direction. Also the break fins are not in the center of the train, they are off to the side meaning they would have to be put on the on the other side meaning new mouning brackets on every car. The anti rollback clicker things would be facing the wrong way on the trains and would have to be reversed. The electrical contactas for the restraints wouldnt be in the wrong position since they are not perfectly spaced throughout the train. All that stuff and more have to be perfectly adjusted. If the fins were not perfect, they would not trip the sensors right or catch the train well.

Short and sweet, NO your friend NEVER rode The Beast backward.

PTC made the trains...and it is the trains that are most affected by the operation. And they do have a say in operations of Ohio coasters that operate with their trains. Where there is no existing manufacturer, obviously the manufacturer can't make recommendations as to operations!

I'd bet that the trains come with some type of warrenty or something that would be void if the trains were run in a manner that was unintended by the manufacturer.

It would take a considerable amout of work to make a train able to run backward. Think about it, the chain dogs are all angled one direction, the would have to be retrofitted to run the other direction. Also the break fins are not in the center of the train, they are off to the side meaning they would have to be put on the on the other side meaning new mouning brackets on every car. The anti rollback clicker things would be facing the wrong way on the trains and would have to be reversed. The electrical contactas for the restraints wouldnt be in the wrong position since they are not perfectly spaced throughout the train. All that stuff and more have to be perfectly adjusted. If the fins were not perfect, they would not trip the sensors right or catch the train well.

Short and sweet, NO your friend NEVER rode The Beast backward.

PTC made the trains...and it is the trains that are most affected by the operation. And they do have a say in operations of Ohio coasters that operate with their trains. Where there is no existing manufacturer, obviously the manufacturer can't make recommendations as to operations!

I'd bet that the trains come with some type of warrenty or something that would be void if the trains were run in a manner that was unintended by the manufacturer.

That's what I thought. I have seen that episode of CSI where they talked about the chain dogs and whatnot and figured it would be a royal PITA to turn a train backward. This guy seemed hell-bent on saying he rode The Beast backward. Not only would you have had to do all that work to turn a train around, but do it all again turning it back to running forward.

Because The Beast trains haven't been significantly modified from 4 seaters to 3 seaters ever.

I think that calls for a "VOID" :rolleyes:

Well... that isnt a bad thing, its just purchasing new trains. new trains = new "warranty"

But truthfully, turning the cars around would be moderately difficult.

and I would have no part in riding a Beast train Backwards.

One sign that this change in 2004 was more of a PTC mandate and not a Paramount Parks move could be Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL. I first visited this park in 2003, and neither Viper nor American Eagle had seat belts in the park's PTCs. I returned the following year, to find seatbelts were added. These belts, however, were the one-across style that both riders share, and put on before lowering the lap bar. This is the seat belt type also found on Gemini and Mine Ride trains at CP, and in the wood coasters at GL.

I think you're yanking our chain...that's utterly impossible...ha

Hardly. On FaceOff, you can face your fears head on....

(Or was that something else? I forget).

Anyway, yes PTC does recommend seatbelts on its coaster trains now, and has since a certain incident at a park in Indiana a couple of years back. I know of very few parks that ignore that recommendation...(one has a Phall Phun Phest). Ohio parks do NOT have the option of ignoring that recommendation.