What would YOU like to see in Kings Island?

TheBEASTFreak

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you said you "chewed him out" and I dont know what your definiton of chewing someone out is but usuallyit means verbally assulting them for an extended amount of time using vulgarity. Maybe he didnt notice you were on the phone, he was just tyring to do his job doing what hes told, if hes told to be annoying with a microphone then thats what hes gonna do considering thats his job.

I think that pretty much describes their job. Annoy people, and challenge them that they couldn't win at the games. Works on some people, but, definetly not on others.

Sorry that I tried to call a friend, whom I temporarily separated from while in the park. I guess next time I'll have him come with me into the bathroom... I just got a little upset and aggravated. I thought there was a difference between getting guests to play their game and spend money, and outright p!ssing them off. I stand behind my opinion that the latter happened.

Sorry that I tried to call a friend, whom I temporarily separated from while in the park. I guess next time I'll have him come with me into the bathroom...

Your friend got lost while you were in the bathroom?

Now that has to be an interesting story.

I'm not sure I've ever heard someone getting lost while waiting for someone in the bathroom.

well with so much talk of games here is what I do with a mic,

I usually, if it is a slow day, I spend my time out of the game with a prize asking people to play and when no one is around going through my normal pitch. When asking people I usually ask them flat up if they would like to play _____ . If they say no I tell them to have have a nice day. While it maybe not all that effective it shows effort, and does get more to play, and i am more approachable to guests with any questions or complaints. I have asked many many people to play and not many seemed ticked off. I do call some people out on what they where just to have fun like if you are wearing a bengals jersey and I have bengals football, I may say "You want a football to match that jersey" or maybe just "Who-dey" or if it is a chad jersey "we have ocho cinco here", it usually gets the guest to smile therefore bettering their park experience. And in no way would I ever try to interrept a guest on a cell phone, but I have done it by accident before.

Just trying to do my job, of which I am very proud of. Hope to see you in the park :D

gamesguy08

Yep. At least SOME parks seem to forget that people don't come to parks to be annoyed....and they have other choices about where to spend their time and money. Games DO generate revenue, but they can just as easily drive admissions away, and lower per caps.

Something to think about. If this strategy worked SO well, why is it that it is not found at Disney, Universal or Busch?

Alright but I ask you then, I've asked people who come to the park if they've been to Disney and seen games they say yes. So either you're wrong or they are. Either way our job is not to make people angry, or annoy them although I must admit it is our duty to rant on a microphone at times, sometimes we can help guests find things or somehow affect their experience at the park.

Games are found at Disney, Universal and Busch, but NOT the yelling and screaming or even barking (or as you yourself put it, ranting).

I can't say that I've ever found myself, barking, implying acting like a dog on the microphone. But HEY I mean you do seem to be the expert here..

Games are found at Disney, Universal and Busch, but NOT the yelling and screaming or even barking (or as you yourself put it, ranting).

I can't say that I've ever found myself, barking, implying acting like a dog on the microphone. But HEY I mean you do seem to be the expert here..

Actually barking is what game hawking is called.

But I am hardly the expert in barking...that would have to be...

wait for it...

woofer

--The Interpreter, running for the door

I try to stay away from things of this nature, but I feel everyone has gone to far. As some of you may or may not know, I am a games manager. I also seem to recall a level of game "hatred" for lack of a better word, by many of you here. Here's the deal. Yes, we do have guests say they wish basketballs were deflated; that they're a nuisance, etc... Yes, we have people write us and say our sales staff is annyoing, pressuring, etc...

HOWEVER, we also get many compliments in this same regard. Parents have written to us complimenting us on the prizes their child has won, even basketballs. We have had people tell us that they do not care for basketballs given away, but realize that the person who won really needs to be aware of what they are doing with that prize ball once they've won. We have received numerous compliments on our staff being very professional, etc...

Everyone is going to have a different view of games, just like you will find people who like, let's say, LaRosas and some will not. Some people will be annoyed by certain things, other people ignore us, and still others love what we do. The point of this response is not to make someone mad or angry, but I know it will happen, but rather to urge everyone to drop this matter. If you want to see King's Island get rid of games, you may state that. If you have some personal issue, please don't post it here. PM me if you like. I talk with numerous guests about issues via phone, email, in person, etc, and have no problem doing that here too.

I am asking that you all get back on topic. This is not a games bash thread. This is a thread to see what you would like to see from King's Island. Let's keep it that way.

And there is certainly NOTHING wrong with expressing that one would like to see a barking free midway on Coney Mall and over by Vortex towards Rivertown. Said it then, meant it. And say it now.

Many people don't complain to you or to guest relations about the barking they find so annoying. Instead, they merely go elsewhere.

There are reasons that Cedar Fair's attendance is essentially flat. Either managers are interested in hearing why that may be the case, or they are not.

We have seen which it is here. Thank you for enlightening us. It has been most informative.

Many people don't complain to you or to guest relations about the barking they find so annoying. Instead, they merely go elsewhere.

There are reasons that Cedar Fair's attendance is essentially flat. Either managers are interested in hearing why that may be the case, or they are not.

We have seen which it is here. Thank you for enlightening us. It has been most informative.

I will say this, please let us know if there is a problem. We might not be aware of the situation. Please share with us. As I said, I love hearing from people. I talk with guests almost everyday the park is open. They tell me good things and things to work on. A stated, please, PM concerns. I will do my best to address them as they come to me.

I will say this, please let us know if there is a problem. We might not be aware of the situation. Please share with us. As I said, I love hearing from people. I talk with guests almost everyday the park is open. They tell me good things and things to work on. A stated, please, PM concerns. I will do my best to address them as they come to me.

I don't think anyone was attacking you or your associates. They were simply saying that the whole nature of the barking is annoying. (By the way, a 'barker' was someone who would stand outside of shows and say "Step right up folks...!", he wasn't trying to call you guys dogs.) Anyway, I think we can all agree that the games staff is very professional, cheery, congenial, and great at their jobs. There's no question about that.

Now, I do agree with whoever said that it adds a 'carnival atmosphere'. I can see that, and I think it's great. It's probably what they were really going for, especially in Coney Mall. Then again, the people who run the Jacob's Ladder near AE will literally chase you down to try to get you to play. I realize they're not associates of the park, but I really think the park should do something about it.

Especially since to the public, they are part and parcel of Kings Island.

To see what I mean, let's look at a similar problem in another park chain. Six Flags has a somewhat common serious problem with the general tidiness of the tables and areas around some of their contracted out food stands. Often, the parks will tell you that they are not responsible for those areas. That's a bunch of hooey. If it's inside the park, it's part of the park as far as the visitor is concerned. If you go to a franchised McDonalds and find a bad bathroom or have a bad cheeseburger or get sassed by a surly clerk, you don't normally blame the franchisee....You blame McDonalds.

The entire experience is seen as being McDonalds. Not Jacob Horsely, the local franchisee. And you see all McDonalds in that light.

Likewise, if Jacob's Ladders employees are virtually chasing people, the public sees that as the actions of Kings Island.

In both cases, either McDonalds or Kings Island COULD have controlled the situation and for some reason didn't.

By the way, in this regard, Cedar Fair was much smarter than Six Flags. Something bad happens at ANY Six Flags, the nation hears Six Flags and thinks it happened at THEIR nearest Six Flags. For example in the Cinci area, they hear about an accident at Six Flags (Magic Mountain) and many will think it happened at KK.

Cedar Fair purposely greatly deemphasized the Cedar Fair part of their park names. (Premier Parks, the former owner of Six Flags, started out that way, but later changed). Cedar Fair's logo appears on the brochure, yes, but not as part of the park name, and not as a huge logo on all park signs.

Six Flags, of course, went the other way (and in fact is currently removing the Six Flags designation from the six parks that are sale).

This is yet another reason I strongly suspect the PARAMOUNT'S part of the park names in the former CBS parks will not be staying. After all, regardless of our joking here early on, it's not known as Cedar Fair's Valleyfair, or even Cedar Fair's Cedar Point. It's knott.

If you work games and do not know what "Barking" is, then you've been very very very poorly trained.

See....I told you woofer was the expert here....he knows the park business well, so well that his name even implies barking. And that has NOTHING to do with acting like a dog on a microphone....Traditional barkers didn't use microphones. Coney Island in New York is about as traditional as they come, and the sideshow barkers there certainly don't use microphones. And that's a carnival atmosphere if I ever saw one.

If you want to visit Astroland, this coming season is its last.

Sigh.

I certainly do not mean to speak ill of anyone but for a games employee to not know the defenition of barking is a kin to a surgeon not knowing anatomy and physiology.

There is a huge difference between "Barking" and harassment. If the games employees do not know what true "Barking" is; then it's no wonder that some may cross the line.