Dollywood

I had planned on making a trip to Dollywood around December 28th. I know that the park is open on this day, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Thunderhead would be open during this day/time of year.

Thunderhead generally operates any time it is at least 40 degrees and there are sufficient people in the park to give it a line. In the event that either of those two things isn't true, it closes....

Ok, thanks a lot. I haven't been in like two years. I am excited to see Timber Tower and see how construction is coming on Mystrey Mine. I told my girlfriend we need to go because I need my fixin of the greatest wood coaster on the planet; Thunderhead.

So what do you think the odds of it being open on the 28th are? Does it get really cold in Dec in Tennessee?

Yes, it does. It's not uncommon for below freezing temperatures, especilly at night. Christmas at Dollywood is amazing, the lights, the rides, the shows make one excellent experience. Dress warmly!

So what do you think the odds of it being open on the 28th are? Does it get really cold in Dec in Tennessee?

The chances are quite good that it will be open, but about as good that it will not. If it IS open, ride it while it is. The weather down there can change on a dime, and often does.

Interp!

The likelyhood that it's going to be 40 degrees in Pigeon Forge on 12/28 are pretty slim!!!

Yeah, I mean look at the Voyage. It had over 1,000 ft retracked after the first season. Kentucky Rumbler had 0 feet retracked. They are built very well.

also, look at the resources for the park, the speed Rumbler reaches, the speed voyage reaches, the heights, the changes in direction.

and the fact that Beech Bend is having legal issues, yeah they might not need retracking yet, but its not inevitable.

I have seen beautiful weather in TN during the month of December and I have also experienced heavy freezing ice. I would say you have a 50/50 chance of good weather.

Good Luck and enjoy...

You may want to hit the coaster as soon as you get there because it got below 40 last friday when I was there

As far as MM...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have seen beautiful weather in TN during the month of December and I have also experienced heavy freezing ice. I would say you have a 50/50 chance of good weather.

Good Luck and enjoy...

You may want to hit the coaster as soon as you get there because it got below 40 last friday when I was there

As far as MM...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Looks a little short but good.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, PKIPunk was wanting to know if Thunderhead was likely to run Thursday, the 28th. I told him yes, as long as it was at least 40 degrees. Looks likely it will be! From the National Weather Service forecast for Pigeon Forge:

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 56. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 36. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Friday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 58.

Let us know how it goes!