Son Of Beast: Out of the Loop!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing the loop is the wrong thing to do in my opinion. That was the best part of the ride, and it won't be the same without it. The loop wasn't the problem. It was just a rough ride altogether. I'm all for anything that makes it a smoother ride, but not if it involves removing the one thing that made the ride so famous to begin with.

I'd like to see an estimate as to just how much this one coaster has cost the park in dollars.

Not taking into consideration how much the legal issues are going to cost.

I'm betting with all the work, re-work, re-work some more and then major modifications - I'm guessing we could have had something truely amazing for all those dollars.

I agree with the parks decision to remove the loop just b/c it will make the ride safer and less rough in the end b/c of the new trains, but I agree it is kinda dumb to remove the element that made Son of Beast famous! THE WORLDS ONLY ..UHHH...NOT ...UHHH.. LOOPING WOODEN ROLLER COASTER!!! that is very sad...SoB needs a new tagline!

Guest kwindshawne

IMHO; I think for the removal of the loop is best because if they fixed only the structure but did not change any viewable structures of the ride, the perception of the attraction in the minds of many of the average guest would be “they just put a patch on the structure“. Therefore the old reputation would still be in the minds of the guest, Son of Beast without the loop and new trains will be something the guest can physically see and will allow the attraction to hopeful get a second chance with the guests and allow the Son of Beast to get a new favorable reputation.

[/quote

One thing still bothers me though-if the support beam could fail the way it did, who's to say it won't happen again? Supports have been replaced before, and then this still happened. What other beams have not been redone? It is human error not to be able to get all of them......I just wonder if it would be more cost efficient to tear it down and redo it-I don't know about that stuff, but it seems like the constant refitting is costly enough. Seeing the pics of the exact spot of the failure makes sense now-to me, all side slanted parts of Son's track have a "jackhammer" effect-that is the part that causes the back pain-and son is mostly turns-it needs more hills.

Even though I'm real mad at them removing the loop, this could work out to be one interesting portion of a back story to SOB. Maybe have one half of the loop next to the big crate, and have it to where it fell on top of the crate and is just completely mangled beyond all recognition. Maybe even have a dummy underneath all the wreckage, too.

Ooh, even better, have one of the old trains be added to the scene, too, ala Final Destination 3; the lead car's off in the distance somewhere (it could've possibly crashed into that mini kiosk thingy by Skyflyer), the others mangled up with the track and crate.

Finally, let's add a cop car (maybe the old Days of Thunder car used in this year's FearFest) at the scene of the crime, headlights on and everything. Put some police tape around the scene of said crime (so that those dang juvenile delinquents don't mess with the "scenery") and add some fog machines, and voila! Instant destruction theming courtesy of some ravenous beast creature who is on the rampage.

I have this to say about this loop removal. I was very angery at first but as I keep thinking about this may be a very good thing for this ride. If the ride has any airtime what so ever the new trains should allow that to happen since there is no need for that huge bar with out the loop. The loop was really fun but if that means a bad rest of the ride well its just not worth it. I think the park should have looked at the ride before all this even happened. Anyways are we gonna get a new middle part to the ride or is it just gonna have a slight track differnce

Maybe the loop will become apart of that ACE Museum... who knows. I support the decision to get rid of it if it means a smoother, better ride. -Hauntguy

That is exactly what I was thinking. It could go outside in front of it, like the giant bat is outside of the Louisville Slugger Musem.

-Jake

I actually disagree with some of the things Shaggy said. I really believe the overall ride quality will drastically improve with GCII Millenium flyer Trains. The trains would likely be modified due to the wider track gauge, but the Premier Trains now can't really handle the rides turns. They are very vibrational and shuffle through every turn. The restraints and seating position do not help either, in that ergonomically they are poorly designed.

I do give Kings Island credit for spending the money and time to try and fix the ride. This is the most major reprofiling and improvements they have made to the ride, so I see this as the last chance it has. If no major comfort and smoothness is acheived from this reprofiling/fixing, I see them taking it down. Unlike Rattler, which had its first drop raised 50 feet or so, the ride should still have its similar layout, of course without its verticle loop. Hopefully the ride will have more speed through the second half of the ride since it won't have some of its energy lost from going through that verticle loop. Also hopefully they don't trim the ride on the block brake, since I here the second helix isn't slow and boring , if the ride actually is not trimmed there.

The rose bowl section was actually my favorite part of the ride, and if it is actually smooth in that section, this ride could be good. I don't think its reasonable to expect that they would redesign that portion of the ride into and out and back. It is possible, especially if you look at examples such as Phantoms Revenge and Thunderbolt at Kennywood of rides that had major new elements added and redesigned.

Yes not good news but heck at least there keeping the ride and working hard to make it better for all. Sometime you have to tell a kid a right thing to do and put them in there place well good bye loop still it will be Son of Beast!!!!

Just taken down a few Knotches!!!

Hail to the coaster gods and Cedar Fair for working so hard on this attraction:

IPB Image

Here's what I'm thinking. Enclose the initial drop and the area circled in black in a tunnel with enclosed (tunnelated) airtime hills on the return track. The first drop into a tunnel would throw back to The Beast. I know you can't push track, but rebuild the track labeled PUSH so that it lines up the two red dots.

I think that would work. :)

IPB Image

Here's what I'm thinking. Enclose the initial drop and the area circled in black in a tunnel with enclosed (tunnelated) airtime hills on the return track. The first drop into a tunnel would throw back to The Beast. I know you can't push track, but rebuild the track labeled PUSH so that it lines up the two red dots.

I think that would work. :)

?huh?