Son Of Beast: Out of the Loop!

well can he please point me in the direction of were it says

"every human is perfect"

and some people(like myself) have little spelling problems, I do read over and make sure I didnt spell anything wrong. Looks like I owe Reclaimer an apology,

Reclaimer im sorry that I have a spelling problem, Im sorry that im not perfect, Im sorry that this world isn't perfect. Also im sorry that YOU feel like the world has to be perfect and you start cussing because I made a spelling error....If you read the last sentence I think that the person who cusses becuase of a spelling error, has a even bigger problem...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topgun, it's funny you mention that. I was just channel surfing when I came across Travel Channel right as the show was starting and I caught a glimpse of Sonny...needless to say, I was drawn in. ;)

RumorSmasher...

http://www.pkicentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4128

It is in the Terms of Service...

However, while I don't really have a problem with misspellings and grammar errors usually, when you are trying to be credible, it usually helps your cause. ;)

I have no problem with you posting your opinions and views on the matter, because that's the point of discussion forums. My only problem is with you posting as if you have some sort of information nobody else has, or that you have some sort of 'source'...If you do, that's fine, but honestly, it's just becoming a bit much to see the same type of post over and over again from you. There's tons of other discussions you can contribute to without trying to be full of 'insider sources'. This is a fun site and we all try to get along...I would like nothing more than to get along with you as well. :)

Right, you can try healing a broken arm with band aids, but it won`t do any good. However, I think the ride can be saved. If it weren`t for the jackhammering and shuffling, the ride could be a thoroughly fun and enjoyable ride. I mean, the views from atop the pinnacle of the lift hill are quite breathtaking. And not to metion that the first 214 foot drop at speeds of almost 78 miles per hour is awesome too. And ironically, the first drop is not actually rough. That is likely due to the fact that the trains are traveling in a straight line. I think part of the problem is the trains inability to successfully negotiate the turns that has led to uncomfortable rides. Also, with the elimination of the loop, the large and bulky lap bar may be able to be reduced in size to something more comparable to what is used on PTC trains.

Keep in mind, that because Premier designed the trains for SoB to have lap bars, that is why Paramount later worked with Premier to remove the OTSRs on Flight of Fear, and successfully turning a painful ride, into one of the best steel coasters in the park. So had it not been for the original engineering of the SoB lapbards, FoF might not be what it is today. Given that, I`m sure that Kings Island wants to get this ride running and be as much of a success story as what the work on the FoF trains did for that ride. If that is possible, (and for this season) remains to be seen.

December 24, 2006

News & Notes

Son of Beast thrown for a loop

The Son of Beast is about to become a little less beastly.

Losing its loop: Paramount's Kings Island's Son of Beast wooden roller coaster will be without its 103-foot loop when it reopens to riders for the Ohio amusement park's 2007 season

The wooden coaster at Paramount's Kings Island, the amusement park outside Cincinnati, will remove the ride's signature 103-foot-high loop before the park's 2007 season begins.

Park officials decided to delete the loop after the Ohio Department of Agriculture, which inspects amusement rides in the state, ordered several structural changes in the Son of Beast because of a July 9 accident that hospitalized 27 riders.‘

The park will fix several "design deficiencies" that allowed a wooden support beam to crack, creating "a pothole" in the track when two other coaster support beams bent, The Cincinnati Enquirer reported recently.

The state did not tell the park to do away with the loop, but park spokeswoman Maureen Kaiser said, "When we took a look at the physical modifications, this made perfect sense."

The Son of Beast coaster set five world records when it opened in 2000. The design deficiencies will be fixed with metal plates and rings added to wooden components.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...0322/-1/ZONES04

(There's at least one error in that article...)

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet or not but they have also updated PKIs website. Under thrill rides the information for SoB reads as "If the father scared you, wait until you ride the son! The Tallest, Fastest Coaster on the Planet will send you screaming down it's 214-foot hill at speeds over 78 mph.

You've never experienced anything like this before. Not anywhere. Not ever." Notice it completely left out anything about a loop. Well I thought I would just add that small bit of info/trivia.

-Chris

It should also be noted, that they changed the picture for Son of Beast, from the infamous shot of the loop with the Eiffel Tower, to one without the loop in it. But they still have yet to update the attraction fact sheet which can be found under the media center.

Yes, that is a very strong indication that the 'P' word will be dropped from the name. I do hope that their logo will be better than that simple text though. Seems a bit too plain. But they likely haven`t even come close to finalizing something like that yet.

Saw that as well. Could be interesting...

One thing's for sure. We're only a few hours into the first workday of 2007. This is sure to be a very interesting year.

Also just noticed the image path to that season pass I linked to earlier has the file name 07_KI_Adult.jpg. Again, no "P"

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet or not but they have also updated PKIs website. Under thrill rides the information for SoB reads as "If the father scared you, wait until you ride the son! The Tallest, Fastest Coaster on the Planet will send you screaming down it's 214-foot hill at speeds over 78 mph.

You've never experienced anything like this before. Not anywhere. Not ever." Notice it completely left out anything about a loop. Well I thought I would just add that small bit of info/trivia.

-Chris

They'd best be fixing that. It may be the tallest, fastest WOODEN coaster on the planet.

Otherwise, Six Flags Great Adventure may have a bone to pick with Cedar Fair.

Again.

(When Kingda Ka opened, it was quite some time before Cedar Fair finally took down the world's fastest, tallest coaster signs at Cedar Point...)

It should also be noted, that they changed the picture for Son of Beast, from the infamous shot of the loop with the Eiffel Tower, to one without the loop in it. But they still have yet to update the attraction fact sheet which can be found under the media center.

The new picture also looks a lot like one from this website. :rolleyes:

Kings Island's Website

PKI Central's Photo gallery

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope Son of Beast reopens in April 2007. I will miss the loop but if it saves the coaster from being torn down then we can say it's for the better. It was great to ride it with the loop but it caused the coaster to crack due to the weight of the trains and lighter trains won't make it through the loop according to what I've read. Sonny will be a new coaster this year and a new credit for enthusiasts so expect alot of people to come to the park this season and they should rename it since it no longer has a loop.

Well back to SoB. I still find it very hard to believe that the Premier Rolling Stock will just be modified. If this were the case the Premier Rolling Stock will look very different from the 06 configuration.

The Restraints will need to be completely done. No need for the complete stapling of guests legs with the restraints because you dont go upside down anymore. More of a single lap bar configuration, with divider, and seatbelt. Similar to what Beast has.

I would Imagine The middle row of seats will disappear and you will only have 2 rows instead of 3. More leg room for taller folks. Even short folks like me are cramped in the SoB trains as is.

Possibly trying to move all seats off of the wheels, any Jackhammering effect is greatly intensified when sitting directly over a wheel.

Possible shortening of the length of the train. Less weight = Less Speed and Less Jackhamering.

That is my assesment of what the remod of the trains would involve at the least. If you ask me that many changes isnt cheap and would also be very time consuming. This is why I am sticking to the theory that new trains are on the way.

Can anyone else imagine having Millennium Flyer Trains with a cut out SoB logo on the front like the ones on ThunderHead? ThunderHead Front Train

That would look amazing...

Can anyone else imagine having Millennium Flyer Trains with a cut out SoB logo on the front like the ones on ThunderHead? ThunderHead Front Train

That would look amazing...

I love those trains! When I rode Lightning Racer, they use the same trains, at Hershey Park I was amazed at the smoothness they created. I could have ridden that coaster all day without getting any pains.

Shouldn't be smooth. I would agree somewhat, not smooth like a B&M or Inatmin creation, but they also shouldn't be designed to be rough. Yes its the nature of The Beast, no pun intended, but Woodies should be created to run smoothly and transition from element to element smoothly. Look at ThunderHead, Lightning Racer, Raven, Legend, etc for what I mean.