Kings Island to Get $10 Million Capital Addition, Major Thrill Ride

The Interpreter

It's part of this press release:

Press Release Source: Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

Cedar Fair Announces $83 Million in Additions & Improvements for the 2007 Season

Thursday December 21, 4:33 pm ET

SANDUSKY, Ohio, Dec. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN - News), a publicly traded leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment, has announced plans for $83 million in additions and improvements at its parks for the 2007 season.

Cedar Fair owns and operates 12 amusement parks, five outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and six hotels. Its parks are located in Ohio, California, North Carolina, Virginia/District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Missouri, Michigan and Toronto, Ontario.

Dick Kinzel, chairman, president and chief executive officer, reported that the 2007 program will be highlighted by Maverick, a $21 million roller coaster at its flagship park, Cedar Point. Located in the park's Frontiertown section, Maverick will treat riders to eight "airtime-filled hills," three inversions and a second launch through a dark tunnel as the coaster reaches speeds of up to 70 mph. "After we built Top Thrill Dragster in 2003, I have been asked where do you go from here?" said Kinzel. "Now we have the answer in Maverick. With low to the ground, multiple terrain-hugging elements and plenty of airtime, it's a ride that everyone will enjoy." Kinzel also mentioned that an additional $4 million will be spent at Cedar Point in restaurant renovations and general park improvements.

The 2007 capital program will also feature an $11 million water park expansion at the newly acquired Kings Dominion amusement park. The new attractions will include the addition of a second wave pool, a Tornado water slide with turning and churning wet spills, and a Zoom Flume, which will give families the opportunity to enjoy a rafting adventure together. "These have been very popular with guests at several of our other water parks, and I am sure visitors to Kings Dominion will enjoy these rides during the hot, humid Virginia summers," said Kinzel.

Kings Island, another park that the company acquired this past season, and Knott's Berry Farm, the company's only year-round park, will spend approximately $10 million and $8 million, respectively, on their 2007 capital programs. Kinzel added that both programs will be highlighted by major new thrill rides that will be announced by the parks at a later date.

Valleyfair will spend $7 million for its 2007 operating season and will feature Renegade, a new wooden roller coaster. This 104-foot-tall coaster will entertain guests with a never-before-experienced twisting first drop, a low-to-the-ground high-speed S-turn and a high-speed station fly-by. The remaining capital will be allocated across our other seven parks and will include new rides and attractions as well as new restaurants, ice shows and general park improvements.

"Jack Falfas and his team have been working very hard to maximize our capital dollars and I believe we have an exciting program in place at all of our parks for the 2007 operating season," said Kinzel. "The $83 million program represents a wide range of attractions and shows the company's commitment and dedication to offering the best in family entertainment, guest experience and service."

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN - News), a publicly traded partnership headquartered in Sandusky, Ohio, is one of the largest regional amusement park/resort operators in the world. The company owns and operates 12 amusement parks, five outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and six hotels. Amusement parks in the company's northern region include three in Ohio: Cedar Point, Sandusky, consistently voted "Best Amusement Park in the World" in Amusement Today polls; Kings Island, near Cincinnati; and Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom, Aurora; as well as Canada's Wonderland, near Toronto; Dorney Park, Allentown, Pa.; Valleyfair, Shakopee, Minn.; and Michigan's Adventure, near Muskegon, Mich. In the southern region are Kings Dominion, Richmond, Va.; Carowinds, Charlotte, N.C.; and Worlds of Fun, Kansas City. Western parks in California include: Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Vista; Great America, Santa Clara; and Star Trek: The Experience, an interactive adventure in Las Vegas.

This press release and prior press releases are available online at www.cedarfair.com.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061221/clth108.html?.v=7

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kings Island, another park that the company acquired this past season, and Knott's Berry Farm, the company's only year-round park, will spend approximately $10 million and $8 million, respectively, on their 2007 capital programs. Kinzel added that both programs will be highlighted by major new thrill rides that will be announced by the parks at a later date.

I dont think Son of Beast was supossed to be in the 2007 programs, what happen in july was an accident, Im very sure this statment hints out alot of things. Like when did Kings Island become a year-round park? and also its say 10million and 8million, it doesnt say 8 to 10million ,so something up. I puting my money on 2 attractions

I dont think Son of Beast was supossed to be in the 2007 programs, what happen in july was an accident, Im very sure this statment hints out alot of things. Like when did Kings Island become a year-round park? and also its say 10million and 8million, it doesnt say 8 to 10million ,so something up. I puting my money on 2 attractions

Uh, that's 8 million for Knotts and 10 million for Kings Island. Knotts is mentioned as the year round park...not Kings Island.

Go back and read it again!

Well you never know they could just be clearing land for a new garden or greenhouse or something along those lines. Or they could be clearing a large section of land to place the loop from SOB in. Haha :P Obviously i am joking. I for one cannot wait to see what Cedar Fair does to the face of our good ole' Kings Island.

Yeah some big news, and its funny Maverick at 21 million is getting a courter of the budget LOL. I hope some of the money going to be spent on KI for next season goes into improving the parks face, paths, buildings, fixing up old looking walls. Just so that on opening day the guest will be shocked :D .

I didn't miss any P Words at all.

Not one bit in fact.

I counted every single "P" word in the... article...

Press

PRNewswire

publicly

parks

parks

plans

parks

parks

parks

park

parks

Pennsylvania

president

program

park

Point

park's

mph. (it contains "per")

plenty

Point

park

program

park

park

pool,

popular

parks,

Kings Island (but not some "P" word that usually goes before it)

park

past

park

programs

parks

parks

park

program

parks

program

publicly

partnership

park/

parks,

parks,

park

parks

Point

Park

Park,

Pa.; (An abbreviation for Pennsylvania)

parks

press

prior

press

Ohhh... I think the one you were looking for isn't there. Sorry, my bad.